We have the Cap room!! 2019-20 UFA Targets??

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Joker was arguably carrying Keith on their pairing when he was here. And playing top pair minutes. And looked fine doing it. So penciling him into the top pair next year is not ridiculous. And have you watched any of the WJC? Boqvist is continually outmatched physically. He just turned 18 four months ago. He needs to add 15lbs of muscle to come close to competing at the NHL level with grown men next year. If you think Forsling or Joker get pushed around this season... just imagine what would happen to Boqvist next year. He's being physically outmatched by kids just a year or two older than him in the WJC. He needs another year before he's even close to being ready, IMO.

Kapanen is playing on a line with Matthews, and is on pace for about 50 points... He had 9 points in 38 games last year. He was a 25 and then 43 point guy in the AHL for the Marlies at 19 and 20 years old. I'm not trading a potential top pair D for that.

Every review of Boqvist at the WJC has been good to very good.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Every review of Boqvist at the WJC has been good to very good.

Again, have you watched? Or simply read reviews? Because he has repeatedly been over-matched physically. By other kids that are only a year or two older than him. I've watched most of his time on the ice during the WJC. Reviews of his puck skills, his skating, or his awareness, have nothing to do with being physically undeveloped. Have those things been good? Yes. Without a doubt. But he's still physically outmatched, and that's by other 18, 19, and 20 year olds.

Sorry, throwing a concussion-prone kid into the NHL when he's not ready is a recipe for ruining his career. He's 165lbs soaking wet...

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Don't mean to be a dick to you in particular, but the insertion of Kakko and/or Hughes into the lineups next year is absolutely a pipedream, and I'm not sure why people keep doing it. This team is not bad enough to finish bottom 3 or 4, and end up winning the lotto. They would have to be lucky as **** to win it despite likely finishing around the same place they did last year. This team likely finishes just outside the playoff picture. Expect a pick somewhere inside the top 10, but likely not inside the top 5.

I mean, as it stands right now, there are four teams behind them. And they likely finish higher than another 4-5 teams. This team is better than Arizona, Detroit, NJ, Carolina, and Minny, IMO, and Philly, LA, Ottawa, and St. Louis are already behind them.

Hate to burst some bubbles, but Kakko or Hughes probably have a less than 1% chance of landing here in Chicago.

Based off what we’ve seen the last few weeks, I also doubt we’re getting a top-5 pick. So that likely means nobody that contributes next year.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Maybe. If they start to strip away depth by shopping pieces then they could finish top 5. Not sure what Bowman’s plans are for Anisimov, Gus, Forsling, etc.

There has been absolutely no indication that Bowman is going to be a seller at the deadline. It's looking more and more like he'll just stand pat. You may see someone like AA move for some futures in either prospects or picks, but other than that, I doubt much is done. No reason to do much else.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Again, have you watched? Or simply read reviews? Because he has repeatedly been over-matched physically. By other kids that are only a year or two older than him. I've watched most of his time on the ice during the WJC. Reviews of his puck skills, his skating, or his awareness, have nothing to do with being physically undeveloped. Have those things been good? Yes. Without a doubt. But he's still physically outmatched, and that's by other 18, 19, and 20 year olds.

Sorry, throwing a concussion-prone kid into the NHL when he's not ready is a recipe for ruining his career. He's 165lbs soaking wet...

I go based on people that have followed his development for longer than a month tournament and that seem knowledgable. Boqvist damn near made the team last camp. I can’t see him returning to London barring some major setback. Maybe he goes to Rockford but the Hawks usually put their premier talent on the NHL club. Who’s the last prospect they seriously groomed in Rockford or they sent back to junior twice...

Not to say I’ve seen anybody pounding the table that he’ll for sure stay next year but the consensus seems to be he’ll be on the team next year.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I go based on people that have followed his development for longer than a month tournament and that seem knowledgable. Boqvist damn near made the team last camp. I can’t see him returning to London barring some major setback. Maybe he goes to Rockford but the Hawks usually put their premier talent on the NHL club. Who’s the last prospect they seriously groomed in Rockford...

Apparently I don't meet either of those criteria? :laugh:

And nah, Boqvist was never going to make this team last camp, no matter what it looked like. He had 0 chance.

Again... I'm not putting a concussion-prone, 165lb child on the ice against grown men. Not when so much of the Hawks' future depends on him succeeding. It's just idiotic, and asking to ruin his career. There's no reason to rush him. Absolutely none. So why would you? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Apparently I don't meet either of those criteria?? :laugh:

And nah, Boqvist was never going to make this team last camp, no matter what it looked like.

Again... I'm not putting a concussion-prone, 165lb child on the ice against grown men. Not when so much of the Hawks' future depends on him succeeding. It's just idiotic.

It was more in response to “have you watched”. I haven’t outside a few prelim games. Not that your argument isnt credible. I’m going based on reports he’s been awesome in London and at the WJC plus the Hawks record of immediately rostering their premier prospects.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
How is Jokiharju any more proven as a top pair defenseman than Kapanen as a top 6 forward when he is on pace for almost 60 points. I’m not saying he’s the piece they target but penciling in Jokiharju on the top pair and saying Boqvist has little chance to make the jump next year seems ridiculous.
I wouldn't trade Joki for Kapanen but Keith otoh, I'd move him for Kapanen + 1st/3rd

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It was more in response to “have you watched”. I haven’t outside a few prelim games. Not that your argument isnt credible. I’m going based on reports he’s been awesome in London and at the WJC plus the Hawks record of immediately rostering their premier prospects.

I asked have you watched multiple times because it seemed like you haven't seen him play in the WJC. And never answered me the first time.

He has been great. But that doesn't mean he's physically ready for the NHL. Again, he was physically outmatched in battles and such by other kids who are only a year or two older than him, and closer to his size. He's 165lbs, and has a history of concussions. I'm not putting him in the NHL until he's at least 180+ lbs.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
As far as the concussion argument and weight being related somehow...I’m sure Boqvist has kids in junior try to run him all the time that are bigger than him and are trying to catch a team’s attention...Not sure playing in London or Rockford reduces injury risk. He’ll always have the concussion history and weight, strength, etc will never change that.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
As far as the concussion argument and weight being related somehow...I’m sure Boqvist has kids in junior try to run him all the time that are bigger than him and are trying to catch a team’s attention...Not sure playing in London or Rockford reduces injury risk. He’ll always have the concussion history and weight, strength, etc will never change that.

You don't see how being physically stronger can help prevent concussions. Or minimize the risk? :huh:

Or the difference in the Juniors in London with mostly players his age and size, vs the AHL or NHL, and mostly grown/fully developed men?

I mean... he was a high school kid less than a year ago. Lol.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Because we will have excess defensemen and if they don’t land a top pick to select a forward they can trade for one and select a defenseman to replace Jokiharju in the system if they want to. Its a reasonable scenario, not saying Kapanen is that piece. Toronto popped to mind since they’re in a cap crunch and Kapanen has been pretty good this year.

Lets say Dahlstrom-Murphy forms into a good shutdown pair. Then you have Boqvist, Mitchell and Jokiharju competing for two spots with a need for more quality top 6 players, so do you consider moving one for a forward. I would, some wouldn’t.

Boqvist can play his left side, so it’s not three guys competing for two spots.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
You don't see how being physically stronger can help prevent concussions. Or minimize the risk? :huh:

Or the difference in the Juniors in London with mostly players his age and size, vs the AHL or NHL, and mostly grown/fully developed men?

I mean... he was a high school kid less than a year ago. Lol.

Agree to disagree

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Apparently I don't meet either of those criteria? :laugh:

And nah, Boqvist was never going to make this team last camp, no matter what it looked like. He had 0 chance.

Again... I'm not putting a concussion-prone, 165lb child on the ice against grown men. Not when so much of the Hawks' future depends on him succeeding. It's just idiotic, and asking to ruin his career. There's no reason to rush him. Absolutely none. So why would you? Makes no sense whatsoever.

He was close but the Hawks knew he was not going to make it. I agree there is no reason to rush him. Boqvist is much better served learning NA ice this year and adding 10 lbs of muscle if he can. Putting him on NA ice and in the NHL is asking for issues as the space that he was used to would not be there. I have watched him play a lot in London and he is really starting to pick up the NA ice. Hell he was a PPG player the first 13 games when he didn't understand it and now you can see it starting to click. He is still on the young side of the OHL considering he could play at least 1 more season after this one (maybe 2 but I have to check the dates). Boqvist is really young.

I have already seen players in the OHL make runs and I think you would see goons do the same in the AHL this season.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
He was close but the Hawks knew he was not going to make it. I agree there is no reason to rush him. Boqvist is much better served learning NA ice this year and adding 10 lbs of muscle if he can. Putting him on NA ice and in the NHL is asking for issues as the space that he was used to would not be there. I have watched him play a lot in London and he is really starting to pick up the NA ice. Hell he was a PPG player the first 13 games when he didn't understand it and now you can see it starting to click. He is still on the young side of the OHL considering he could play at least 1 more season after this one (maybe 2 but I have to check the dates). Boqvist is really young.

I have already seen players in the OHL make runs and I think you would see goons do the same in the AHL this season.

Exactly... and being 175 or 180lbs instead of 165lbs makes a world of difference. That 10-15lbs of muscle is a really big f***ing deal.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Exactly... and being 180lbs instead of 165lbs makes a world of difference. That 15lbs of muscle is a really big ****ing deal.

I don't think he will put that much on that fast but he could. It is crazy but he just turned 18.

When he was drafted it was know that he was young and needed time. He was the long term play in the draft. Top 4-5 talent that takes another year to develop. There was a good reason to why he was rated in the top 5 most of his draft year.

He will make an instant impact on the PP but there will be growing pains early. I honestly think he could run the PP better than Gus now as his talent and offensive mind are that good. We saw in the preseason how he uses movement to manipulate the PKers.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don't think he will put that much on that fast but he could. It is crazy but he just turned 18.

When he was drafted it was know that he was young and needed time. He was the long term play in the draft. Top 4-5 talent that takes another year to develop. There was a good reason to why he was rated in the top 5 most of his draft year.

He will make an instant impact on the PP but there will be growing pains early. I honestly think he could run the PP better than Gus now as his talent and offensive mind are that good. We saw in the preseason how he uses movement to manipulate the PKers.

Which is my point on why I want him to get another year in, on top of this one, before coming up. Beat my ninja edit, also. Lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad