We have the 9th overall right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Do you guys think Cameron will be back next year?

Yes. He's done more than I expected in the short time so far. Team is much better overall. On a path that could lead to serious contender.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Unbelievable.
We are not in rebuild right now. Period. Getting slightly higher draft pick will only make us marginally better.
Playing like crap and losing everything now will only prove that this roster is crap, we don't have good goaltending, our veterans are awful and our prospects are busts. Even then, our chances to draft McDavid will never be higher than 20%. Why would anyone want that for their team?
Cheering for tank only makes sense when you are blowing it up like in Buffalo and have 3 first round picks. Otherwise in current NHL it doesn't make any sense.

Thing is the team isn't playing like crap

Not enough finish is the problem and that's something that getting a top 2 pick this year could help a lot; we likely aren't going to get one but that's the hope for those hoping for losses

That being said I'm not cheering for the tank; I'm just slightly, oh so slightly, less miffed about losing

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Do you guys think Cameron will be back next year?

The team is playing well but isnt winning because it lacks execution and overall talent. Under MacLean the team was playing poorly and lacked overall talent. The team can in my mond compete with the way Cameron has them playing if they upgrade pieces of the team. They couldnt do that under MacLean.

I dont think they'll risk hiring a new coach when Cameron has the team playing competitively. Plus Cameron is cheap and is melnyks friend.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I am a bit upset that the new GM will now be under pressure to keep Cameron instead of being able to pick his own guy.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Unbelievable.
We are not in rebuild right now. Period. Getting slightly higher draft pick will only make us marginally better.
Playing like crap and losing everything now will only prove that this roster is crap, we don't have good goaltending, our veterans are awful and our prospects are busts. Even then, our chances to draft McDavid will never be higher than 20%. Why would anyone want that for their team?
Cheering for tank only makes sense when you are blowing it up like in Buffalo and have 3 first round picks. Otherwise in current NHL it doesn't make any sense.
This is how this team never gets better. If you are going to build through the draft you need at least 1 top pick to provide skill. It doesn't always happen but I would rather the shot of drafting one.

Xamar*

Honestly we may be even more mediocre than last season, but for some reason this season i'm completly fine with it... Maybe not having a first rounder will do that to ya..

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Drafting is usually the only way to even get those kinds of players.

They are rarely ever traded, and even if, that's usually after their play has dropped considerably.

Othello*

This offseason will make or break us, I'm expecting changes

BigBush*

This offseason will make or break us, I'm expecting changes

Lol, what are you expecting? Well slowly move out veterans, what else? Hopefully extend Methot, and sign a decent UFA. Not something that will make or break us

Also, I like the title. Were actually 25th right now

Othello*

Lol, what are you expecting? Well slowly move out veterans, what else? Hopefully extend Methot, and sign a decent UFA. Not something that will make or break us

Also, I like the title. Were actually 25th right now
I just don't want to sign one useless player like last season and expect to make the playoffs when we lost 2/3 of our first line lmao

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Leaf fans were right about MacArther

Disagree. Many of them exaggerated how bad he was and suggested he'd completely disappear after a good season.

Last year was a career year for him in terms of goal scoring. This year, he has been comparatively snake-bitten (S% has dropped from 15% to 11%; career avg is a little north of 13%), he's still on pace for over 40 points, his work ethic is still there, and he's been playing well enough. Part of the problem is that Turris has also been struggling, in part perhaps because the loss of Spezza has meant more TOI/GP and more TOI/shift and increased defensive focus for that line.

The team is playing well but isnt winning because it lacks execution and overall talent. Under MacLean the team was playing poorly and lacked overall talent. The team can in my mond compete with the way Cameron has them playing if they upgrade pieces of the team. They couldnt do that under MacLean.

I dont think they'll risk hiring a new coach when Cameron has the team playing competitively. Plus Cameron is cheap and is melnyks friend.

I think the team could have been more competitive under MacLean had Murray been able to upgrade pieces to the team. Not willing to say Cameron will fair much better if the GM and ownership don't make significant moves to improve the team.

Drafting is usually the only way to even get those kinds of players.

They are rarely ever traded, and even if, that's usually after their play has dropped considerably.

Seems like this is increasingly true. Not as many blockbuster trades or star players hitting UFA as there were even a decade ago. Long-term cap-circumventing deals and longer, cheap RFA years aren't helping, mind you.

Karlsson2Turris*

Watch us take Crouse fifth overall with Marner/Strome on the board :laugh:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Unbelievable.

Strome Marner Kylington.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Unbelievable.

We are talking about greatly improving our odds of getting a Crosby level talent here...

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
This is not like before when when we had all those call ups and the play amazing. This team has no structure and the coaching is not as good. getting rid of of our vets would help in the process of getting a higher pick.

I'm convinced you aren't even watching the games with comments like these. Actually, most of the people cheering for the tank are probably not watching either. The team isn't crapping the bed each night ala Maple Leafs, they're trying hard except for a few exceptions(previous two games, tonight they were playing well).

It's ok to be happy with getting a high draft pick, I am too, but it's super annoying how many are just looking at the score and standings and making empty statements on here afterwards.

Let's just hope we play decent down the stretch and still pick around 5-8th. No need for over-reactionary thread after thread. I mean anyone looking at the team objectively at the beginning of the season already knew our chances of making the playoffs were slim at best. Budget team equals budget results after all.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Not to put a damper on this, but we're tied in points with Columbus and 1 point behind the Leafs in three fewer games. Penciling us in the top 5 is a bit premature.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'm convinced you aren't even watching the games with comments like these. Actually, most of the people cheering for the tank are probably not watching either. The team isn't crapping the bed each night ala Maple Leafs, they're trying hard except for a few exceptions(previous two games, tonight they were playing well).

It's ok to be happy with getting a high draft pick, I am too, but it's super annoying how many are just looking at the score and standings and making empty statements on here afterwards.

Let's just hope we play decent down the stretch and still pick around 5-8th. No need for over-reactionary thread after thread. I mean anyone looking at the team objectively at the beginning of the season already knew our chances of making the playoffs were slim at best. Budget team equals budget results after all.

I watch many games and am not impressed with this team. Mostly because at this point management is relying on players getting a lot better on a shoe string budget.

We have less talent and a rookie head coach. The coaching move has been lateral at best.

Our biggest problem is our #1 Center position. Hell, we don't even have a first line anymore.

The people who want to tank are those who know you can't just trade for a #1 centre(unless you are on the receiving end of another team running their #1 center out of town because you are so convinced that an undersized #2 center on a good contract is a better option) and have to draft those franchise type of players.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
but... but... we were told at the beginning of the year this was a playoff team.

Weren't we told something like a month ago that there was no way this team would be able to get a top 5 pick even if it tanked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad