Speculation: We aren’t good enough

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Carlyle and Wilson had a a goalie as good as Andersen and two centres as good as Matthews and Tavares?

Pretending theyre even remotely comparable situations is absolute nonsese

And this team is more successful because of them.

But once again, like every single coach before Babcock...

Leafs Nation has deemed the coach to be the reason their lofty expectations haven't been fulfilled, rather than identifying the glaring deficiencies up and down the roster.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They have talent and skill but don't or won't do a lot of other things to be successful, like attack high danger areas of the ice and defend in their own zone

Whoch ultimately circles back to coaching imo.

Either the Leafs guys arent able to get the Leafs player to buy into the system they want, OR they're trying to shove s round peg into a square hole and would be better off trying to craft something more in line with this teams strength of star forward power

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Either the Leafs guys arent able to get the Leafs player to buy into the system they want, OR they're trying to shove s round peg into a square hole and would be better off trying to craft something more in line with this teams strength of star forward power

So our players are uncoachable, is what you're saying.

They're unable to play responsible hockey and because they can't, we have to allow them to do whatever they want?

Brilliant idea.

Let the inmates run the asylum.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Let's be unbiased here.

Carlyle had an infinitely weaker roster and got to 7 games in the playoffs.

Absolute joke of a coach and gutless performances from our star players.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

The team has been built this way, if your not going to get a coach in charge that can best utilise the roster your pushing **** up hill from the get go

Change the coach, if the team still sucks it's time to get serious about turning over the roster and adding some different elements

Reactions: coupe93

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
So we can expect youll never say anything negative about Dubas, a paid, professional again?

I'll defer to better paid professional's opinions.

One's with actual track records of winning and I can give a list of names if you need it.

They aren't bloggers though so not sure you'd be interested :laugh:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So our players are uncoachable, is what you're saying.

They're unable to play responsible hockey and because they can't, we have to allow them to do whatever they want?

Brilliant idea.

Let the inmates run the asylum.

No, im suggesting Babcock may not be right fit for this roster.

When you have an entire team that seemingly looks like theyre underperforming, that's an issue.

And its a lot easier to change one coach than it is to trade away most of a 20+man roster. If after that things still look lackluster you can then look about retooling the core

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
The Leafs have probably the worst:

1) Backup goalie situation in the league.

2) #3 center in the league.

3) 4th line in the league.

4) cap situation in the league.

None of these are exaggerations. They are also the softest team in the league. Tie these together and you paint the picture of a GM who is in way over his head.

The Leafs are the Cleveland Browns of the NHL. All hype, with no foundation.

Reactions: hudster

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'll defer to better paid professional's opinions.

One's with actual track records of winning and I can give a list of names if you need it.

They aren't bloggers though so not sure you'd be interested :laugh:

So everyone else needs to defer to authority but you?

What a curious way of looking at the world lol

Reactions: Moonman

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Well I have seen enough of this team since the start of Jan 2019 to say we ain’t good enough to compete for a SC.

Tonight was a perfect example of Freddie not standing on his head and us handing out another 2-0 lead yet again. Only to make it close in garbage time.

Personally I would trade everyone not locked down and seriously listen a player like Nylander if a player like Pesce were available. At the TDL sell high on:

Barrie-hopefully a 1st
Muzzin-1st
Ceci-3rd, maybe a second
Spezza-4th

If we manage to finish in the bottom 10 we keep our 2020 1st and potentially add two more. Hopefully we can manage to find a reliable back up in the offseason. Build a sustainable blue line and actually add some size and grit to our bottom 6.

I'd be game with that. Stockpile

in the off season look to use picks and one of Nylander/Marner as trade piece to improve team composition. That said, I would prefer experienced GM do that and no dubas i have ZERO faith in that guy

beleaf101

Aug 9, 2009
Dubas won't trade any of his boys. Firing Babs will just expose Dubas more. So you ride it out and you tinker here and there and hope for a turnaround . If there is no turnaround you bring in someone from outside the organization and clean house. Dubas and Babs both would be gone.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Assuming you, an anonymous poster on a hockey chat forum, know more than paid professionals..

It's really cute.

Tell us more.

Seriously. Lol. Fan boys are coming un glued tonight. Here’s suggestion kiddo. Watch a game. Lol.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
No, im suggesting Babcock may not be right fit for this roster.

When you have an entire team that seemingly looks like theyre underperforming, that's an issue.

And its a lot easier to change one coach than it is to trade away most of a 20+man roster. If after that things still look lackluster you can then look about retooling the core

That's just your opinion though.

In my opinion, a team as soft and defensively negligent as the Leafs are performing almost exactly how they should. And that's hardly a controversial opinion at all.

So basically, it's you that has the unrealistic expectations here.

Making incorrect decisions based on a faulty assessment is how you get deeper in trouble.

And that's exactly what you seem to be prescribing.

Reactions: hudster

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

None of these are exaggerations. They are also the softest team in the league. Tie these together and you paint the picture of a GM who is in way over his head.

1) Yes
2) no
3) No
4) No

The Sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'm for getting rid of babcock, just not the coach for this team and I'm convinced these players aren't giving 100% because they dont like him and want a change.

My question is, and it's always the main question I these situations, who replaces him? That will do a better job? Just Firing babcock in itself isnt the answer

I keep hearing marlies right now have also not been very good and we realistically give this team to a rookie coach? Who else is out there?

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019

1) Maybe.

2) What?

3) Our fourth line just dominated the Isles 4th line tonight... for example.

4) Maybe, but at least we’re paying good players.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Dubas needs to tell Babcock my way or the highway. Screw a 3-2 victory. Win or lose 6-4 every night. There's no commitment to defense. This is NOT Babcocks fault. Playing Ceci as a first pairing defense man IS Babcocks fault. You've neutered Barrie. Pair him with Reilly. His confidence is nearly shot. It seems like the team, the coach, the GM are on three separate islands. Time to get on the same page. Friday should be interesting. losing and getting booed off your home ice could really hurt this team. The Leafs have to play 60 minutes like they played the second period tonight. Own the puck. This could get ugly quick. We finally have a team captain and the team could fall apart.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Nah. Team is talented as hell. They need a different system. Need a different playstyle. Need a .... different coach?

But this team on paper is 100% good enough. Its something else that needs changing, what it is I don't know.
Definitely is not on paper 100% good enough mayne...... in the playoffs, these type of dolls only always fail. Always. Lou knows this and so does Don Cherry.

Also uh, a couple of trades would do it to the 100% y'all is talkin bout sire. We need grit and grind, size and twerk, hits and heavy smoke. Not Barrie who brings absolutely nothing but negative plays and no points for our club and organization. Fire him and trade him hard. For hard too. Also uh some of our dolls like spezza, petan need to go last week. We don't need mickey mouse players who bring nothing new to the already talented skilly skill club. We already are 100% talented skill and speed wise. Not grit and grind and hits and twerk though.

Compare our club to washington capitals stanley cup team. I'm laughing out loud. Real hard.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
And what exactly is the coaching problem? The Olympic teams, U20 team, World Championship teams, Anaheim or Detroit didn't seem to have coaching problems under Babcock.
Perhaps he could go off and coach them then. 2019 NHL isn't his forte

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad