Speculation: We aren’t good enough

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Well I have seen enough of this team since the start of Jan 2019 to say we ain’t good enough to compete for a SC.

Tonight was a perfect example of Freddie not standing on his head and us handing out another 2-0 lead yet again. Only to make it close in garbage time.

Personally I would trade everyone not locked down and seriously listen a player like Nylander if a player like Pesce were available. At the TDL sell high on:

Barrie-hopefully a 1st
Muzzin-1st
Ceci-3rd, maybe a second
Spezza-4th

If we manage to finish in the bottom 10 we keep our 2020 1st and potentially add two more. Hopefully we can manage to find a reliable back up in the offseason. Build a sustainable blue line and actually add some size and grit to our bottom 6.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
CjL9GkaXEAAl-P1.jpg

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
After this upcoming weekend, we could realistically be 6th in our division and just above Ottawa with many teams above us in the wild card race.

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
They’re not making the playoffs, they’re just not good enough. Fire Babcock, make a blockbuster trade I don’t know.. They gotta do something or this will be a loong season. (Or short if you know what I mean)

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Another five goals against. It's asking a lot to try and derive a point or two from that situation.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Nah. Team is talented as hell. They need a different system. Need a different playstyle. Need a .... different coach?

But this team on paper is 100% good enough. Its something else that needs changing, what it is I don't know.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
I'm not selling low on our skill players like Nylander. I'll listen on Barrie and Muzzin though. If our year gets worse than it's probably wise to sell our expiring players for some assets.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Dubas has created a mess. Either ride it out or fire Babs now. If a new coach is not the answer then fire Dubas.
It's an interesting spot were in. If they decide to blow it up even short term, you can get big returns on a number of players and there's enough in the pipeline to backfill.

Wonder if that's by design or just luck/coincidence

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
When will people learn that we have a coaching problem and not a personnal problem?

And what exactly is the coaching problem? The Olympic teams, U20 team, World Championship teams, Anaheim or Detroit didn't seem to have coaching problems under Babcock.

Reactions: EN4CER

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I have come to the conclusion that the D is just not good enough.

I would expand on that and say the Defensive Zone play is just not good enough. Its more than just the actual defencemen and forwards though... part of it is system imo. But the straight up dumb bonehead plays that get made in our D zone are baffling and no system could fix that. They literally look like they are just "doing hockey" sometimes.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would expand on that and say the Defensive Zone play is just not good enough. Its more than just the actual defencemen and forwards though... part of it is system imo. But the straight up dumb bonehead plays that get made in our D zone are baffling and no system could fix that. They literally look like they are just "doing hockey" sometimes.

I agree. What scares me is at any moment the other team can come down and score on us, we get broken open so easily.

Reactions: wingman75

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
So we crapped the bed the last half of last season. We've been pretty much crap this year.

How much more of a sample size does Dubas need to make a change?

Last year's crap, plus this year's crap makes for a big big dump.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Well I have seen enough of this team since the start of Jan 2019 to say we ain’t good enough to compete for a SC.

Tonight was a perfect example of Freddie not standing on his head and us handing out another 2-0 lead yet again. Only to make it close in garbage time.

Personally I would trade everyone not locked down and seriously listen a player like Nylander if a player like Pesce were available. At the TDL sell high on:

Barrie-hopefully a 1st
Muzzin-1st
Ceci-3rd, maybe a second
Spezza-4th

If we manage to finish in the bottom 10 we keep our 2020 1st and potentially add two more. Hopefully we can manage to find a reliable back up in the offseason. Build a sustainable blue line and actually add some size and grit to our bottom 6.
I agree, but there is no way we will get such high picks in a trade! Come on, dude ... Spezza a 4th? I seriously think he would pass waivers at the moment.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Chasing the game and your star players are at 17 and 18 minutes.

Dominated the game when trailing with our speed and talent, but once it’s tied the players are told to dump and chase and surrender possession.

Wouldn’t want to play to your strengths when you can try to make players play a defensive style that they aren’t built for.

Reactions: Kurtz and razkaz

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Nah. Team is talented as hell. They need a different system. Need a different playstyle. Need a .... different coach?

But this team on paper is 100% good enough. Its something else that needs changing, what it is I don't know.

There are some players not fitting though... like Barrie. He might not be a defensive stalwart, but he's better than what we've seen. I mean, only 5 points in 20 games?

Tonight it was the inability to make a simple play to get the puck out of the zone... and two goals against.

Plus PK, two goals against in three attempts.

Add in 0 for 2 on the PP...

It's all systems, and coaching tonight.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think I'm getting pretty close to accepting that we need a different coach.

Babcock is a good coach, but he is just not the right fit for the team. It's pretty similar to Dwayne Casey and the Raptors (as multiple people have mentioned before).

I like Babcock, how he handles the media, his attitude towards hard-work, his accountability (even if it's not always fair, ie Nylander). However, it's the easiest fix and will likely have the biggest impact.

Not even blaming Babcock, he just isn't a right fit.

Edit: Then again, if our PP and PK were working, we wouldn't be having this conversation and we would be looking really good right now...

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Chasing the game and your star players are at 17 and 18 minutes.

Dominated the game when trailing with our speed and talent, but once it’s tied the players are told to dump and chase and surrender possession.

Wouldn’t want to play to your strengths when you can try to make players play a defensive style that they aren’t built for.

This this and exactly this. And its not going to change... the results are not there under this style (see 2019 calendar year)... so...? Just keep on keepin on I guess. Good one Mikey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad