LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
That Nico goal really was something, sick move and finish

Glad Hughes got another too
Found the puck behind the goalie like McD did against us that one game

Subban's deflection for the gwg was on the money too

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i think the blown leads at home started to creep up on them mentally and it became a hostile environment over the homestand and being on the road is probably a good thing for them at this point. if they can put together a string of good games without the pressure they can return to a much more friendly home environment.

even in hughes intermission interview yesterday he said it was good to get away which you don't really want to hear players say about their home arena!

Reactions: Unknown Caller

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
i think the blown leads at home started to creep up on them mentally and it became a hostile environment over the homestand and being on the road is probably a good thing for them at this point. if they can put together a string of good games without the pressure they can return to a much more friendly home environment.

even in hughes intermission interview yesterday he said it was good to get away which you don't really want to hear players say about their home arena!

That's a really piss-poor excuse. I always questioned this team's mental toughness and if that actually was on the back of their minds...it's worrying.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Maybe getting away was good for team camraderie but that's just an excuse for the blown leads. Was it on their minds the first two or three games they blew against the Jets and Florida? :P

Reactions: Darkauron

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Maybe getting away was good for team camraderie but that's just an excuse for the blown leads. Was it on their minds the first two or three games they blew against the Jets and Florida? :P

no but i think it snowballed after florida and especially after arizona

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Road trips can be strong bonding experiences for a team, especially one with plenty of new faces.

Let’s hope that’s what happens here for the boys!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That's a really piss-poor excuse. I always questioned this team's mental toughness and if that actually was on the back of their minds...it's worrying.

Lack of veteran leadership on some level is what it smells like to me. Guys like Palms Zajac and Coleman always give you an honest effort and lead by example but with so many young players they need a top vet who is vocal and understands how to lead young players and push them to sacrifice more then they are used to doing. That’s not Greene apparently.

Reactions: mdj12784

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
Lack of veteran leadership on some level is what it smells like to me. Guys like Palms Zajac and Coleman always give you an honest effort and lead by example but with so many young players they need a top vet who is vocal and understands how to lead young players and push them to sacrifice more then they are used to doing. That’s not Greene apparently.
Greene is my least favorite captain the Devils ever had.

He reminds me more of Charlie Brown than a leader.

Reactions: mdj12784

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

If they all think a "hostile environment" is getting a PP booed for a whopping 10 seconds then that's pathetic.

Reactions: dk3790

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
it's hostile bc our fanbase, much like our boards, are bipolar in the snap of a finger. they def knew they sucked and might've been chalking it up to "bad bounces", but you gotta admit -- our crowd does NOT have our teams' back. it's rarely cheering, unless they're up. otherwise, if they're down, it's dead silence

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
it's hostile bc our fanbase, much like our boards, are bipolar in the snap of a finger. they def knew they sucked and might've been chalking it up to "bad bounces", but you gotta admit -- our crowd does NOT have our teams' back. it's rarely cheering, unless they're up. otherwise, if they're down, it's dead silence

That's a poor excuse because they had leads in every home game they lost and got 2 of their 3 wins at home. Crowds have been into it this year. Definitely louder than last year so far. Get Hughesssss and Gooseee (when he plays) chants every time they get the puck. Bauman has been doing the Devils chant, plenty of lets go Devils chants and kill for the penalties.

Winnipeg - lost in a shootout after blowing a 4-0 lead, including giving up 3 in the 3rd period which will suck the air out of any building. Crowd was still into it because they never trailed.

Edmonton - lost in ot but had a lead until a little over a minute to go in the game

Florida - definitely the worst one but hard to blame the crowd when the team blows a 3 goal lead yet again and then goes down by a few

Rangers - won

Vancouver - won

Arizona - crowd was into it until the empty next goal

Tampa Bay - crowd was into it even though it was another ot loss after blowing another lead at home in the 3rd. They got restless for 10 seconds of a PP and booed, big whoop. That's not remotely hostile for this area.

Philly - crowd was into it

Crowds have been great this year vocally. I don't give a shit what delusional Hall says. It's not the fans fault this team kept blowing leads at home.

Im still not even convinced this team doesn't take a beaten the rest of this road trip.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

How are we bipolar? The team is the one that can't hold a lead over the homestand. They are the ones playing like Jekyll and Hyde. The fans are expecting consistency and at least some ability to hold a lead when you have it 6 games.

They got what they deserve for such a poor display then, if they can't handle some boo birds when its warranted, we have bigger problems.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i think it’s delusional to disregard the idea that confidence and self doubt are very real things that teams and athletes face and those things get magnified and start to snowball once it creeps in and they lose the support of the home crowd.

obviously they created that situation themselves no one is denying that but to say “don’t let the boos affect them!” just sounds meatheaded

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
They're paid professionals to play hockey.

No one is saying they're immune to self-dobut or dip in confidence, that's true. At the same time, no one in the homestand was booing them for 6 straight games where its so hostile that they can't peform. It was only done in the Florida game I went to, and probably the latter two home games right before the roadtrip (i didn't attend those, but you could hear it on TV).

Those were warranted. Florida was another 3 goal blown lead, and the others were lost in similar fashion.

No one booed them in the Edm loss after the opener, nor during the opener obviously. The fans gave them their due in the wins vs. Rangers and Vancouver.

To characterize that fans are being unreasonable (or bipolar) in this view is not right.

Reactions: mtnet

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
no one here is saying fans are being unreasonable for booing. and my original comment said that it really started to get bad by the arizona game. the last week was a disaster for the team on the ice and part of that was growing narrative that they kept blowing leads at home and the fans expecting it and they basically expected it too. this isn’t some crazy projection - what started out as bad hockey turned into a cloud hanging over the team and the fans

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
no one is saying fans are being unreasonable for booing. and my original comment said that it really started to get bad by the arizona game. the last week was a disaster for the team on the ice and part of that was growing narrative that they kept blowing leads at home and the fans expecting it and they basically expected it too. this isn’t some crazy projection - what started out as bad hockey turned into a cloud hanging over the team and the fans

Not crazy projection, that's true, I don't doubt it, that their performance was lingering like a cloud over their heads. I'm sure they were feeling it, but they are in control of this.

I think if the team gets on a roll during this road trip and comes back with some more W's.... this home crowd will be also relieved that the season isn't fully toast yet. I'm sure the booing will disappear as soon as as they stop blowing leads or come back with a bunch of wins under their belt. This team isn't a gutter team and shouldn't be playing like one, that is the disconnect, and the home crowds have seen their team drop ridiculous leads so its all in one confluence of events.

“paid professionals to play hockey” they’re also humans

No doubt! I'm not implying they are not, only that this comes with some of the territory of their job, so this shouldn't be a total surprise to any of them.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah i should clarify i guess my points

- the fans are right to boo the performances we’ve witnessed

- the team was almost certainly feeling pressure not just from themselves but from what became a hostile home environment

- hall should never have said anything about the fans even if he felt it (and there’s nothing wrong with being unhappy being booed but they are in control of that)

- if they win then all will be forgotten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad