Rumor: We are supposedly on Panarin's shortlist according to Friedman....

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I'd argue its Huberdeau straight up for Panarin. Huberdeau has about the same value as Saad does, I wouldn't add Borgstrom to him if I'm Tallon.

Tallon has preached stability and we added Hoffman who could possibly put up 35 goals/65pts if all goes right. The fantasy has to end at some point.

We will need guys like Borgstrom, Tippett, Heponiemi and Denisenko on their ELCs/bridge deals/5-6 yr deals at decent cap hits if we want to re-sign Barkov, Trocheck and Huberdeau after their deals are up.

I'd hate to see Huberdeau go, ya he didnt find a ton of chemistry with Trocheck but we do know he has it with Barkov. I feel Borgstrom may be the guy to play with Trocheck along with a guy like Denisenko who brings a ton of speed and playmaking ability.

As you mentioned, the numbers just don't add up and Tallon also stated the term "cap flexibility" which screams long term plans for this core going forward. I'd easily bet a 100$ Panarin isn't a Panther come game 1 of the 2018-2019 season :)
I'll take it paragraph by paragraph:
  • I think it's gonna take more than that to outbid the Rangers
  • I'd say Hoffman only produces those numbers with Barkov not Tro. Add PP w/Tro...18-23 Gs IMO
  • I like that line combo
  • This is the most important part. Upward mobility requires cap flexibility and available slots. Not counting Borg, it's likely one of the prospects will be more than good enough for a top 6 wing position in the next 3 years. If they stagnate in bottom 6 it's possible they lose confidence. Huby needs to go if Panarin is acquired. 50/50 it happens. :)

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I'll take it paragraph by paragraph:
  • I think it's gonna take more than that to outbid the Rangers
  • I'd say Hoffman only produces those numbers with Barkov not Tro. Add PP w/Tro...18-23 Gs IMO
  • I like that line combo
  • This is the most important part. Upward mobility requires cap flexibility and available slots. Not counting Borg, it's likely one of the prospects will be more than good enough for a top 6 wing position in the next 3 years. If they stagnate in bottom 6 it's possible they lose confidence. Huby needs to go if Panarin is acquired. 50/50 it happens. :)
its an upgrade, but its not the kind of upgrade I'm looking for. replacing about 65 points with 80 doesn't make us a powerhouse. I really want them to get this done with something like bjug, mcginn, borg, and tippett for panarin and a 3rd. this would remove contracts we don't need and give columbus one blue chip almost ready to go prospect and a big boom or bust (definitely bust) prospect. they also might think bjugs 49 points are worth something. should work for both parties. I just really want hoffman to be the worst player in our top 6. it'd be incredible.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
They can match anyone of two or three prospects vs Borgstrom. CBJ GM Kekalainen knows Borgstrom because it was his brother who scouted and selected him for the Cats. Then it becomes a question of what else can you give us. The winner is the one who is willing to put quality NHL young or prime assets on the table. If it's just a matter of a coin toss decision for CBJ based on young prospects, then you have to live with that if you lose.

As an option, will a #1 be enough next year from either us or the Rangers? Which #1 would you take based on projected records next year? Any who, I don't think the Cats would give up their only high draft choice next year and the Rangers need to keep their high picks after many years of pissing them away.

The more I think about it Huby and one of McGinn or Pysyk might do the trick.:)

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
They can match anyone of two or three prospects vs Borgstrom. CBJ GM Kekalainen knows Borgstrom because it was his brother who scouted and selected him for the Cats. Then it becomes a question of what else can you give us. The winner is the one who is willing to put quality NHL young or prime assets on the table. If it's just a matter of a coin toss decision for CBJ based on young prospects, then you have to live with that if you lose.

As an option, will a #1 be enough next year from either us or the Rangers? Which #1 would you take based on projected records next year? Any who, I don't think the Cats would give up their only high draft choice next year and the Rangers need to keep their high picks after many years of pissing them away.

The more I think about it Huby and one of McGinn or Pysyk might do the trick.:)

I would do that trade easily if Panarin is willing to puts his signature on a contract extension for at least six years. Hubs is a dime in a dozen compared to Panarin. But I'd only enter into a auction with the Rags in order to drive price up for the Rags. Rather roll with the current prospect pool than let the hemorrhage value for a club that is also a fierce rival for the next 5-10 years considering the age range of the core players.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
I do not see Tallon giving away blue chip assets at this point, in my view, I think he will take a pass, giving up Huby is not something that tallon would do, at least to me, that is what I see happening, but he will try other ways to get it done.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
its an upgrade, but its not the kind of upgrade I'm looking for. replacing about 65 points with 80 doesn't make us a powerhouse. I really want them to get this done with something like bjug, mcginn, borg, and tippett for panarin and a 3rd. this would remove contracts we don't need and give columbus one blue chip almost ready to go prospect and a big boom or bust (definitely bust) prospect. they also might think bjugs 49 points are worth something. should work for both parties. I just really want hoffman to be the worst player in our top 6. it'd be incredible.
Well according to that TSN article it starts at a minimum with an established NHL player of high caliber (ala Saad for Panarin). That leaves out Bjug and McGinn. It's a question mark as to what Huby will produce without being on a 1st line and playing with a player comparable to Barkov. Panarin can create for himself like Patrick Kane can. I would think Borgstrom would need to go along with Huby if that's the case and maybe Pysyk also.

Agent is being smart by saying Panarin is not limiting a destination to one of 3 teams in order to enhance his bargaining power. Certainly one of those 3 teams will not need to come with the same assets as outliers. Panarin can force Kekalainen's hand by threatening to only sign with one of those 3 teams thus squashing any better offers from other teams. :)

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Well according to that TSN article it starts at a minimum with an established NHL player of high caliber (ala Saad for Panarin). That leaves out Bjug and McGinn. It's a question mark as to what Huby will produce without being on a 1st line and playing with a player comparable to Barkov. Panarin can create for himself like Patrick Kane can. I would think Borgstrom would need to go along with Huby if that's the case and maybe Pysyk also.

Agent is being smart by saying Panarin is not limiting a destination to one of 3 teams in order to enhance his bargaining power. Certainly one of those 3 teams will not need to come with the same assets as outliers. Panarin can force Kekalainen's hand by threatening to only sign with one of those 3 teams thus squashing any better offers from other teams. :)
were not getting him. based on what tallon just said about all our prospects it made it clear hes keeping them. were the panthers. u couldnt really expect wed get panarin right? owners would never give him the contract hes gonna want.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
If he wants to go to three-four teams why not wait it out and see if he goes to UFA? Why trade young, cost-controlled assets for someone who is going to get $9-10M+ whether we trade for him or wait?

We have tons of forwards, upgrade the second pairing IMO. Get someone like Ian Cole or De Haan in free agency for a decent price. Ship off Petro (keep his brother if you can) and let Bogdon, McCoshen and Weegar fight for the 5/6 spots.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
were not getting him. based on what tallon just said about all our prospects it made it clear hes keeping them. were the panthers. u couldnt really expect wed get panarin right? owners would never give him the contract hes gonna want.
Given that the parameters most likely are:
1) Panthers would not aim to give Panarin the huge contract he’s after
2) Panthers would have to do 1) above and part with two of Hubie, Borg, #1 pick, Pysyk
3) Panthers aren’t set in G or D

I’d actually rather not roll the dice with a big change that is more lateral than additive (as you said before).

Just let the bread man go.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Chicago traded Panarin in 2017 in part due to concerns about the projected cost of resigning him, which will likely be north of $8 or even $9 million per year on a long term contract. With Hoffman and Huberdeau signed, it really makes little sense to pay through the nose for Panarin in a trade. Why not wait until next offseason when he becomes a UFA and then explore the possibility of signing him while keeping our assets?

Reactions: Ratsreign

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Chicago traded Panarin in 2017 in part due to concerns about the projected cost of resigning him, which will likely be north of $8 or even $9 million per year on a long term contract. With Hoffman and Huberdeau signed, it really makes little sense to pay through the nose for Panarin in a trade. Why not wait until next offseason when he becomes a UFA and then explore the possibility of signing him while keeping our assets?

Which is exactly what Tallon will do.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
because a diff. team will trade for him and sign him long term. it may be our one and only shot at a superstar scorer. it must be taken now that JT went to toronto and tampa is stacked. we need panarin just to pretend were competing. with this roster we're just not as usual. no cap, no cup. owners will never give us a team.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Not going to post the tweet as I am not sure if it is reliable. The claim is that CBJ is asking for a Top-6 Forward, a top draft pick, plus another asset for Panarin.

Though not confirmed, that ask makes sense.

The packages I'd offer are Bjugstad + Borgstrom + Tippett

Bjugstad + Matheson (though this is an overpay and hurts the team tremendously at the blue line).

Trocheck + 1st (this will get me some shit flinged at me).

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Not going to post the tweet as I am not sure if it is reliable. The claim is that CBJ is asking for a Top-6 Forward, a top draft pick, plus another asset for Panarin.

Though not confirmed, that ask makes sense.

The packages I'd offer are Bjugstad + Borgstrom + Tippett

Bjugstad + Matheson (though this is an overpay and hurts the team tremendously at the blue line).

Trocheck + 1st (this will get me some **** flinged at me).
Another asset doesn't sound like Tippet level prospect to me.

Bjugstad + Borgstrom is very strong. Don't think they'll get much better than that, tbh. They don't really need D either.

Trocheck and a first is not going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad