Rumor: We are supposedly on Panarin's shortlist according to Friedman....

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
No, the debate regarded burning a year off his ELC when he was only going to play a few games.
No, borgstrom would have to be protected. Though I don't see a way to get Panarin without trading him or a guy like Huberdeau/Trocheck. That decision is easy imo

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
No, borgstrom would have to be protected. Though I don't see a way to get Panarin without trading him or a guy like Huberdeau/Trocheck. That decision is easy imo

This is from cap friendly regarding expansion:

First & Second Year Pros

All players who have accrued two or less professional seasons at the end of the 2016-17 season, as well as all unsigned draft choices appearing on the teams reserve list, will be exempt from the upcoming expansion draft.

Expansion Draft FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Unsigned would be considered an RFA I believe. Because Borg only played a a few games this year It doesn't seem to count as an entire year either. So this would mean in order for Borg to be exempt he would have to have played less than 162 games (2 seasons) or be an RFA. If my interpretation is correct.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Rangers are rebuilding, LA just added Kovy and probably can't afford him.

Dadonov- Barkov- Panarin.

The Rags are rebuilding but they aren't tanking. It seems that they might be back in the playoffs in two years time because they have a lot of quality depth but no future superstars, at least not yet. So that means that they are definitely trying to get top line material into their team but they'll have hard time making their case for top FAs that want to win now.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
This is from cap friendly regarding expansion:

First & Second Year Pros

All players who have accrued two or less professional seasons at the end of the 2016-17 season, as well as all unsigned draft choices appearing on the teams reserve list, will be exempt from the upcoming expansion draft.

Expansion Draft FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Unsigned would be considered an RFA I believe. Because Borg only played a a few games this year It doesn't seem to count as an entire year either. So this would mean in order for Borg to be exempt he would have to have played less than 162 games (2 seasons) or be an RFA. If my interpretation is correct.
There was a lot of confusion about this during the season when this was being discussed. Last year, players that were in the exact same situation as borgstrom would be in two years had to be protected. ie. college players who played a couple games after being signed but not enough to accrue a year of service then two full NHL seasons.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
There was a lot of confusion about this during the season when this was being discussed. Last year, players that were in the exact same situation as borgstrom would be in two years had to be protected. ie. college players who played a couple games after being signed but not enough to accrue a year of service then two full NHL seasons.

Were these college players that were signed like Vesey or players that were drafted then signed by the same team

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Rags are rebuilding but they aren't tanking. It seems that they might be back in the playoffs in two years time because they have a lot of quality depth but no future superstars, at least not yet. So that means that they are definitely trying to get top line material into their team but they'll have hard time making their case for top FAs that want to win now.

It's a long way to contending from where the Rangers are.
They have 0 superstars and traded their #1D, King's also getting old.

If he's looking at teams Florida shouldn't have a problem with beating the Rangers, city is a different question.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
It's a long way to contending from where the Rangers are.
They have 0 superstars and traded their #1D, King's also getting old.

If he's looking at teams Florida shouldn't have a problem with beating the Rangers, city is a different question.

Well, hate to break it for ya but there was a rather no-name team in the SC final just recently. Long way = two years for the Rags.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
GET.HIM.

if it takes borgstrom, so be it, we already have barkov and trocheck and theyre locked in. if you have a chance to get someone like that you go for it. used to be linemates with dadonov so it makes sense he'd wanna play with him with barkov centering, plus florida, taxes, etc.

if you can do it without trading any of the top-6 players, no question you do it, but id do huberdeau if necesarry.

a potentia for:

Panarin-Barkov-Dadonov
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Hoffman

and then you still have mccann to center line 3, guys like malgin, vatrano, mamin, mcginn to fill in the rest. thats a legit squad. we got lucky to add hoffman for nothing, time to get serious and go all in.

it took saad straight up to get him and saad was coming off a 24g/53pt season, plus panarin still had 2yrs left, now hes down to 1yr remaining and the bargaining power is lowered for the jackets. it may take huberdeau but i dont think it will. Borgstrom + 1st + Petrovic.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
You just may get your wish Jakey. ;) Geez, the Russian factor is doing it's job. Having quite a few Russian speaking teammates and well to do residents (Bure) in Miami Beach/Fisher Island/Sunny Isles is a big selling point. Birth tourism from pregnant Russian women is also a growth industry as Trump Condo's are rented to these women. $10M per/7 yrs.

Best offers will come before the season starts as they get the use of the $6M for 1 year. After that, the closer they get to the TDL the offers will shrink to CBJ. Definitely a CBJ sign/trade or trade/sign deal with agent sitting with Tallon once trade is consummated. Huby, Borg will definitely be part of the deal along with a future #1.

Rangers have $29M cap space but have only signed 13 players this coming year and need to sign RFA's Spooner, Vesey, Namestnikov and Hayes. That should cost them at least $10M total with another 6 to sign for $5M more. They could come up with a package of Namestnikov, Kravtsov and a future #1. Of course CBJ may not want anymore Russians.:laugh:

LA would have a tough time matching Cats or Rangers due to shrinking Cap space and lack of matching young talent. :)

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well, hate to break it for ya but there was a rather no-name team in the SC final just recently. Long way = two years for the Rags.

I wouldn't bet on something that happens once in 50 years.

Good luck getting every player have career years at the same time.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
You just may get your wish Jakey. ;) Geez, the Russian factor is doing it's job. Having quite a few Russian speaking teammates and well to do residents (Bure) in Miami Beach/Fisher Island/Sunny Isles is a big selling point. Birth tourism from pregnant Russian women is also a growth industry as Trump Condo's are rented to these women. $10M per/7 yrs.

Best offers will come before the season starts as they get the use of the $6M for 1 year. After that, the closer they get to the TDL the offers will shrink to CBJ. Definitely a CBJ sign/trade or trade/sign deal with agent sitting with Tallon once trade is consummated. Huby, Borg will definitely be part of the deal along with a future #1.

Rangers have $29M cap space but have only signed 13 players this coming year and need to sign RFA's Spooner, Vesey, Namestnikov and Hayes. That should cost them at least $10M total with another 6 to sign for $5M more. They could come up with a package of Namestnikov, Kravtsov and a future #1. Of course they may not want anymore Russians.:laugh:

LA would have a tough time matching Cats or Rangers due to shrinking Cap space and lack of matching young talent. :)
I wouldn't want to give up huby though. I think this can get done with just borg, petro/pysyk, + 1st. I want our top 6 to be prime aged stars and that means we gotta keep huby since I don't think borg is near huby level yet. a top 6 of pan, bark, dad, hub, tro, hoff would literally score at will. and with the sheer # of 3rd liners we have, that line would basically have its way with no defensive pairing to cover them that hasn't been exhausted containing the 1st 2 lines. we would annihilate most teams so thoroughly offensively, I just don't think our D will matter too much. and as it stands they've become decent defensively under boug which is all we need. I would for the first time in 25 yrs consider the panthers a true juggernaut if they pulled this off. that's how I know they wont ;)

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Huby, Borg will definitely be part of the deal along with a future #1.

An expiring contract doesn't get Huby thrown in.

IMO the Hoffman trade indicates Tallon feels pressure to win right now, and all trades going forward should be about adding to the current NHL roster, not "replacing" or creating more holes to fill.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

IMO the Hoffman trade indicates Tallon feels pressure to win right now, and all trades going forward should be about adding to the current NHL roster, not "replacing" or creating more holes to fill.
So Viola thinks we will be at approx $75M before all this discussion on the "breadman." This is all based on them not trading anyone. I think Viola is low by about $1.5M. So once all the above is consummated and we are at my number of lets say $76.5M that leaves $3M to carry a $6M contract for a year. Obviously one of Petro/Pysyk has to go along with another small contract.

Then the following year it jumps another $3 to $4M depending on the contract. That's doable as McGinn is gone and the following year Hoffman is likely gone. The fly in the ointment is the acquisition of an elite goalie in the next few years and what it will cost us plus a viable backup as Reimer's contract will be up in 3 more seasons. Then you have more unknowns in the cost of extensions for the Malgins, Mamins, McCanns, Denisenkos, Vatronos, Tippetts, Noels and Weegars of the world. With salaries and the Cap climbing to offset, it may not be enough. Tro and Barky will get at least another $5M each when their contracts expire and Huby probably $2 to $3M.

So we will have 4 LW'rs with 2 spots open in the top 6. Easy PZ right? Sure we send a couple of the off hander's over to the RW (Hoffman/Panarin) where they are not as comfortable. IMO, Hubby is going to get shuttled back to the 3rd line as both of these off hander's are not going to the RW.

The other question is what will it take to beat the Rangers best offer? Yeah, IMO it will take Huby plus Borg. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I wouldn't want to give up huby though. I think this can get done with just borg, petro/pysyk, + 1st. I want our top 6 to be prime aged stars and that means we gotta keep huby since I don't think borg is near huby level yet. a top 6 of pan, bark, dad, hub, tro, hoff would literally score at will. and with the sheer # of 3rd liners we have, that line would basically have its way with no defensive pairing to cover them that hasn't been exhausted containing the 1st 2 lines. we would annihilate most teams so thoroughly offensively, I just don't think our D will matter too much. and as it stands they've become decent defensively under boug which is all we need. I would for the first time in 25 yrs consider the panthers a true juggernaut if they pulled this off. that's how I know they wont ;)
From your mouth to God's ears. All depends on what it will take to beat a Ranger's offer IMO.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
I said it yesterday, Borgstroms 4 games in the NHL did not burn a year on his ELC just like Tippett, they are exempt from the expansion draft.
Thought it was discussed extensively that it did. Can’t recall now but cap friendly also shows him with 2 years left on his ELC

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

Are you serious the Hoffmann trade was maybe the cheapest Option to obtain a Top6 Winger for picks and only a 2nd Rounder. When i remember some TDL Prices a 1st Round was there a must to get something like that.

But Panarin is no most Option, this is now a Situation very straight to Discuss. Cause we need another Top4 D-Man if we cant reach him via FA we must trade for that kind of Player.
So if we now also trade for Panarin, this smaller the Option for a Top4 Defensman. So i think the will think and Discuss this very hard.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So Viola thinks we will be at approx $75M before all this discussion on the "breadman." This is all based on them not trading anyone. I think Viola is low by about $1.5M. So once all the above is consummated and we are at my number of lets say $76.5M that leaves $3M to carry a $6M contract for a year. Obviously one of Petro/Pysyk has to go along with another small contract.

Then the following year it jumps another $3 to $4M depending on the contract. That's doable as McGinn is gone and the following year Hoffman is likely gone. The fly in the ointment is the acquisition of an elite goalie in the next few years and what it will cost us plus a viable backup as Reimer's contract will be up in 3 more seasons. Then you have more unknowns in the cost of extensions for the Malgins, Mamins, McCanns, Denisenkos, Vatronos, Tippetts, Noels and Weegars of the world. With salaries and the Cap climbing to offset, it may not be enough. Tro and Barky will get at least another $5M each when their contracts expire and Huby probably $2 to $3M.

So we will have 4 LW'rs with 2 spots open in the top 6. Easy PZ right? Sure we send a couple of the off hander's over to the RW (Hoffman/Panarin) where they are not as comfortable. IMO, Hubby is going to get shuttled back to the 3rd line as both of these off hander's are not going to the RW.

The other question is what will it take to beat the Rangers best offer? Yeah, IMO it will take Huby plus Borg. :)

I'd argue its Huberdeau straight up for Panarin. Huberdeau has about the same value as Saad does, I wouldn't add Borgstrom to him if I'm Tallon. Panarin is an electrifying player but let's not deplete the reserves of a great 60- 70pt playmaker + a potential 50-65pt winger in Borgstrom (I truly see him as a winger going forward) for a 70-80pt winger.

I think CBJ prefers a top 6 C (young one with tons of upside who has at least 2 years in the league) in return for Panarin. Trocheck should be a no based on production/contract and Borgstrom isn't ready for top 6 yet.

Tallon has preached stability and we added Hoffman who could possibly put up 35 goals/65pts if all goes right. The fantasy has to end at some point.
We will need guys like Borgstrom, Tippett, Heponiemi and Denisenko on their ELCs/bridge deals/5-6 yr deals at decent cap hits if we want to re-sign Barkov, Trocheck and Huberdeau after their deals are up.

I'd hate to see Huberdeau go, ya he didnt find a ton of chemistry with Trocheck but we do know he has it with Barkov. I feel Borgstrom may be the guy to play with Trocheck along with a guy like Denisenko who brings a ton of speed and playmaking ability.

As you mentioned, the numbers just don't add up and Tallon also stated the term "cap flexibility" which screams long term plans for this core going forward. I'd easily bet a 100$ Panarin isn't a Panther come game 1 of the 2018-2019 season :)

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I'd argue its Huberdeau straight up for Panarin. Huberdeau has about the same value as Saad does, I wouldn't add Borgstrom to him if I'm Tallon. Panarin is an electrifying player but let's not deplete the reserves of a great 60- 70pt playmaker + a potential 50-65pt winger in Borgstrom (I truly see him as a winger going forward) for a 70-80pt winger.

I think CBJ prefers a top 6 C (young one with tons of upside who has at least 2 years in the league) in return for Panarin. Trocheck should be a no based on production/contract and Borgstrom isn't ready for top 6 yet.

Tallon has preached stability and we added Hoffman who could possibly put up 35 goals/65pts if all goes right. The fantasy has to end at some point.
We will need guys like Borgstrom, Tippett, Heponiemi and Denisenko on their ELCs/bridge deals/5-6 yr deals at decent cap hits if we want to re-sign Barkov, Trocheck and Huberdeau after their deals are up.

I'd hate to see Huberdeau go, ya he didnt find a ton of chemistry with Trocheck but we do know he has it with Barkov. I feel Borgstrom may be the guy to play with Trocheck along with a guy like Denisenko who brings a ton of speed and playmaking ability.

As you mentioned, the numbers just don't add up and Tallon also stated the term "cap flexibility" which screams long term plans for this core going forward. I'd easily bet a 100$ Panarin isn't a Panther come game 1 of the 2018-2019 season :)
very brave of u to bet 100 on something where the odds favor u completely :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad