OT - NO POLITICS We’re on to Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I did get a hip kit but it doesn't have a leg lifter. It has a long shoe horn, a thing to help put your socks on (which I love because my feet were getting sooooo cold w/o socks), a long handled brush to reach my back & shoulders when showering, and an extension gripper to help me pick things up off of the floor which I also love, I swear I have dropped more things on the floor the last 8 months than I have in the last 8 years!!
Those long handled brushes are the best even when you aren't having your hip replaced.

You are going to crush it on Tuesday

• Love
Reactions: BMC

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Well.....meeting with ortho dr tues to schedule knee replacement #1....hoping early dec , so i have time to recover, then have the other done by may 1 when our insurance year starts over. only $300 from deductible now so want to get them both done asap

and on to the lighter side of the news.....local fm station started playing their christmas programming.

(i don't care if you think it's too early, i enjoy it and no one is making you listen)

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Well.....meeting with ortho dr tues to schedule knee replacement #1....hoping early dec , so i have time to recover, then have the other done by may 1 when our insurance year starts over. only $300 from deductible now so want to get them both done asap

and on to the lighter side of the news.....local fm station started playing their christmas programming.

(i don't care if you think it's too early, i enjoy it and no one is making you listen)
I love Christmas music. It's always a little grief provoking because my father passed away Dec. 21, 1995. We had to wait through Christmas to do the services. We truly grow with grief as we get older-time never passes in grief.

Anyway, I usually expect the bubbling and breathe with it.
I'm a big fan of "We need a little christmas."

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I love Christmas music. It's always a little grief provoking because my father passed away Dec. 21, 1995. We had to wait through Christmas to do the services. We truly grow with grief as we get older-time never passes in grief.

We have probably $7500 worth of Christmas decorations.... (2 trees, 100+ Byers Carolers) . They live in the basement all year in totes. I can't wait to get them out and enjoy them, especially since it will be getting dark at 5:00 in a few days. The lights are lifting and I hate to even put them away after Christmas

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

my dad will be gone 10 years Dec 5.
His fav song was Burl Ives Holly Jolly Christmas.

When it comes on I cry.
Probably will forever.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Had to call 911 for an employee today, had a bad seizure. Scary stuff. Thankfully the ambulance arrived in about 5 minutes.

Bet it seemed like 5 hours though. I've had to call 911 twice and both times it seemed like the ambulance & the rescue squad would never arrive.

Reactions: MustardStew

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Bet it seemed like 5 hours though. I've had to call 911 twice and both times it seemed like the ambulance & the rescue squad would never arrive.
Yep. Glad our office is so close to fire/medical. On the few occasions we've needed them, the response time has always been good. Love our first responders :heart:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
my dad will be gone 10 years Dec 5.
His fav song was Burl Ives Holly Jolly Christmas.

When it comes on I cry.
Probably will forever.
My Mom played the organ at a small church in Boxborough MA for 46 years (she retired at 80). I am not that religious but loved the Christmas Eve Service. I love the Christmas Carols and how everyone would get a candle and quietly go outside to sing Silent Night.

She passed away Nov 12th, 2008. We went to her church Christmas Eve, but it was too much, and I get too emotional (because of the music).

Every Christmas Eve we watch White Christmas.

Her birthday is Dec 21st. This year she would have been 100. She was the heart of our small family. I still miss her and Christmas is a sad day for me.

I like some Christmas music ....but not until Dec.

Last edited:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Attended Boston Symphony today. During an awesome performance of Tchaikovski's Piano Concerto by a beautiful Russian female soloist my mind drifted to how fortunate I am to live in this city. With four major league sports franchises performing at high levels, premier museums, lovely parks and gardens, I feel so privileged. Too often we take our blessings for granted.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
My Mom played the organ at a small church in Boxborough MA for 46 years (she retired at 80). I am not that religious but loved the Christmas Eve Service. I love the Christmas Carols and how everyone would get a candle and quietly go outside to sing Silent Night.

She passed away Nov 12th, 2008. We went to her church Christmas Eve, but it was too much, and I get too emotional.

Every Christmas Eve we watch White Christmas.

Her birthday is Dec 21st. This year she would have been 100. She was the heart of our small family. I still miss her and Christmas is a sad day for me.

I like some Christmas music ....but not until Dec.
I really like Christmas Eve service....we are not religious people by definition, but on Christmas Eve we go to a small church 1/2 mile down the road.

It's very friendly and not formal (like a Catholic service) and the pastor usually has a personal story about themselves. I remember once the pastor had a sermon talking about people complaining about not being ready for Christmas....his sermon was you know who wasn't ready ? Mary....lol....think she was ready for what she was given and her age? It was quite enjoyable.

They used to do a handbell group which was great, but I guess those people have moved on.

Still do a candlelight service where they darken the church and light candles (last time they were electric ones)

There is a singer who always does O Holy Night (my favorite) and she is excellent.....gives me chills.

Not sure I will make it this year if I can do the knee replacement early Dec.....they do have it online tho so at least it's something. It's fun having Christmas Eve dinner, then going and coming back for dessert. My daughter has started a family Christmas jammies traditions which we do Christmas Eve.

And I'm rambling......

Wally - can we do a holiday thread again?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I really like Christmas Eve service....we are not religious people by definition, but on Christmas Eve we go to a small church 1/2 mile down the road.

It's very friendly and not formal (like a Catholic service) and the pastor usually has a personal story about themselves. I remember once the pastor had a sermon talking about people complaining about not being ready for Christmas....his sermon was you know who wasn't ready ? Mary....lol....think she was ready for what she was given and her age? It was quite enjoyable.

They used to do a handbell group which was great, but I guess those people have moved on.

Still do a candlelight service where they darken the church and light candles (last time they were electric ones)

There is a singer who always does O Holy Night (my favorite) and she is excellent.....gives me chills.

Not sure I will make it this year if I can do the knee replacement early Dec.....they do have it online tho so at least it's something. It's fun having Christmas Eve dinner, then going and coming back for dessert. My daughter has started a family Christmas jammies traditions which we do Christmas Eve.

And I'm rambling......

Wally - can we do a holiday thread again?

Here ya go.

Reactions: shelbysdad

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Hey Gee Wally - what's with the crazy thread title ???? Thanksgiving was over 3.5 weeks ago. :shakehead

;)

On the day of the Bruins-Leafs game, I posted on the HF GDT that it was a gorgeous 38 degrees in Newton, appropriate for the season's first Boston-Toronto matchup. I was reminded that 38 degrees north of the border is a bit different.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Double the Thanksgiving for you then!
Mmmmmmm.......another meal of roasted beaver tail smothered in maple syrup, minced seal meat pie, poutine and moose pudding.

homer-simpson-drooling.gif

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I like poutine.

there is no poutine in Arizona.

someone could bring me some poutine.

Reactions: GordonHowe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad