GDT: WCSF - (WC1) Nashville Predators vs (P3) San Jose Sharks - Series Talk (SJ Wins 4-3)

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Arvidsson stepped up and produced, he's off my list for now.

However,

Jarnkrok has to produce, Smith has to produce, Forsberg has to find his game and as much as grief as I know I'll get, I'm going to say Rinne has got to be better, last night's game was pretty bad, he was all over the place.

Ehh, Rinne was fine last night other than the 3rd goal. First was a deflection with a screen. Second one he would've stopped. It was just blocked off Bitetto and right on to the stick of Tierney. That's unlucky.

Third goal I think Pavelski was trying to screen him and Rinne was trying to push him out of the way, got caught and lost his balance trying to recover. He needs to pick his spots to do that but on the other hand I can't really blame him because how many freaking deflections off of skates or sticks or body parts have gone in on us this postseason?

One thing I did notice last night was Rinne made a save at one point, don't remember when maybe sometime early in the 2nd period and the ref just didn't blow the whistle. He must have gone 4 or 5 seconds without blowing it and Rinne is in the same position that he made the save but started freaking out and looking behind him to see if the puck was loose because the ref didn't blow the whistle. Well he had it the whole time but for some reason the ref decided to wait and wait and wait. Does the ref not know that if you do that you freak a goalie out causing him to move around and that's when a puck that is covered can get loose?

I just want us to play game 7 like we did the last 45 minutes of game 6. Even if they lose, we'll know they went down giving the Sharks everything they could handle.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Just listening to radio and reading every piece of analysis I can find, and one thing I keep hearing and reading is somehow a lot of people are somehow coming to the conclusion that the Sharks have been the dominant team in this series. The Preds have won all the close games, but the Sharks have been dominating and blowing the Preds out in their wins.

Ummm- no- that is absolutely false.

Basically, of the six games, there have been two lopsided games, one for each team (Preds 4-1 in Game 3/ Sharks 5-1 in Game 5). The rest of the games have been tight, even games that were all up for grabs late in the game:

Game 1- Preds led in the third period, then wound up trailing 3-2 late in the game before two empty net goals inflated the final score to 5-2

Game 2- Game was tied 1-1 with 4 minutes left- final score 3-2 Sharks

Game 4- 3OT- nuff said

Game 6- OT (a game in which the Preds dominated)

In addition, if you exclude empty net goals, both teams have scored 17 goals in the series.

So anyone saying the Sharks have been the dominant team in this series or that the Preds are lucky to be alive are nuts. This has been an even series that is rightfully going to a Game 7.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Just listening to radio and reading every piece of analysis I can find, and one thing I keep hearing and reading is somehow a lot of people are somehow coming to the conclusion that the Sharks have been the dominant team in this series. The Preds have won all the close games, but the Sharks have been dominating and blowing the Preds out in their wins.

Ummm- no- that is absolutely false.

Basically, of the six games, there have been two lopsided games, one for each team (Preds 4-1 in Game 3/ Sharks 5-1 in Game 5). The rest of the games have been tight, even games that were all up for grabs late in the game:

Game 1- Preds led in the third period, then wound up trailing 3-2 late in the game before two empty net goals inflated the final score to 5-2

Game 2- Game was tied 1-1 with 4 minutes left- final score 3-2 Sharks

Game 4- 3OT- nuff said

Game 6- OT (a game in which the Preds dominated)

In addition, if you exclude empty net goals, both teams have scored 17 goals in the series.

So anyone saying the Sharks have been the dominant team in this series or that the Preds are lucky to be alive are nuts. This has been an even series that is rightfully going to a Game 7.

Yeah I haven't really understood it either. I thought both teams have had dominate times, but otherwise it has been fairly even.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
The Predator Stathead Notes RETURNS!

• This is the first time the Nashville Predators have EVER had seven wins in a single playoff year.
  • This is (obviously) only the second Game Seven in franchise history. The first was... a few weeks ago in Anaheim.
  • Victor Arvidsson is the 47th different player to register a goal for the Preds in the playoffs.
  • Nashville has only two players on the club with 10 or more playoff goals in their career: Shea Weber (13) and "Playoff" Colin Wilson (11).
  • Arvidsson's goal was the 12th "playoff Frosty" goal in franchise history.
  • Rinne's assist was his third career playoff assist on a goal. No other Predator goaltender has ever registered an assist in a playoff game.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Nashville playing awesome. If they can win Game 7, no reason they can't win it all this year.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
So, a 6:00 local start on Thursday for them. 8:00 for us. Half the crowd will be arriving extremely late with the traffic out there I'd imagine. I'm counting this as a break for us.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
So, a 6:00 local start on Thursday for them. 8:00 for us. Half the crowd will be arriving extremely late with the traffic out there I'd imagine. I'm counting this as a break for us.

Love the early start. I'm just praying that my flight to San Francisco doesn't experience any delays.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I am understandably a little trepidatious (Game 7 butterflies), but I firmly believe we are due for a break on the road. score first pls and take the crows out of it :)

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I said before the poffs that Jarny is going to get eaten alive by the big Western teams. Well, 13gp, 1 assist, -5. He has to produce more. Even Arvy has surpassed him this postseason. He needs to wake up if he wants to stay in Nashville. Otherwise, there's the door.

I want to see lines like these in Game 7:

9-92-38
33-12-18
63-19/10-15
20-28-10/19

Preferably, Jarny in the 3rd, so we could get more out of him. Better offensively than Sissons, goes without saying.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I said before the poffs that Jarny is going to get eaten alive by the big Western teams. Well, 13gp, 1 assist, -5. He has to produce more. Even Arvy has surpassed him this postseason. He needs to wake up if he wants to stay in Nashville. Otherwise, there's the door.

9-92-38
33-12-18
63-19/10-15
20-28-10/19

Preferably, Jarny in the 3rd, so we could get more out of him. Better offensively than Sissons, goes without saying.

we just started to get some contribution outta' the line changes, won arguably our biggest PO game in franchise history, and you want to change the lines?

Sissons is a better choice with Ribs and Smith because he'll do the dirty work and not get pushed around as easily as Hook. Miikka might actually be a better fit, but Ribs can't win a FO to save his life nor would he be close to defensively responsible and we need that 4th to be physical as a group, not just what Goose brings - so you put Ribs on a wing. Hook is an awful fit with Ribs and Smith cause the best parts of his game are more a (pale) replica of Ribs and Smith, not complementary to them.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
we just started to get some contribution outta' the line changes, won arguably our biggest PO game in franchise history, and you want to change the lines?

Sissons is a better choice with Ribs and Smith because he'll do the dirty work and not get pushed around as easily as Hook. Miikka might actually be a better fit, but Ribs can't win a FO to save his life nor would he be close to defensively responsible and we need that 4th to be physical as a group, not just what Goose brings - so you put Ribs on a wing. Hook is an awful fit with Ribs and Smith cause the best parts of his game are more a (pale) replica of Ribs and Smith, not complementary to them.

No, I don't want to change the first two lines. The idea of putting Hook with Ribs and Smith was to get some scoring. Sissons isn't going to bring that. With him that is 0-0 or 0-1 line. Make no mistake about it, Sissons compliments Ribs better than Jarny. Ribs-Jarny-Smith could produce something.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

This is dumb. Have you watched the games? Not every player is counted on to pot a ton of goals. His pk work is stellar and he always seems to be checking the opposing teams top players.

By this logic Forsberg is almost out the door because he is underperforming.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

9-92-38
33-12-18
63-19/10-15
20-28-10/19

Jarnkrok will get another contract next season, I don't see him going anywhere unless he has that choice and uses it.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
This is dumb. Have you watched the games? Not every player is counted on to pot a ton of goals. His pk work is stellar and he always seems to be checking the opposing teams top players.

By this logic Forsberg is almost out the door because he is underperforming.

Yes, I have. Jarny has underperformed or can you say he's playing like he was in the reg. season? Absolutely not, he has gone from the 1st line to the 4th line that should account for something.

EDIT: And yes, he is counted to put up goals. Why else would he have started the playoffs on the Joey line?

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yes, I have. Jarny has underperformed or can you say he's playing like he was in the reg. season? Absolutely not, he has gone from the 1st line to the 4th line that should account for something.

Sure it does, it means he is closer to where he needs to be. If we are going off of stats then Forsberg deserves to be on the 4th line as well.

Jarnkrok is basically on the 4th due to Lavi trying something new. With Smith and Ribs on the third you need someone to be that big body to do the dirty work. That really isn't Jarnkrok's forte.

He scored at just barely over 1 goal every 10 games in the regular season. We have played 13 games, which means he is about due for one, but isn't that far off the mark atm.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Jarnkrok will get another contract next season, I don't see him going anywhere unless he has that choice and uses it.

I think so, too. The price and length are hard to determine because of the fact that he feels like a tweener but on the other hand he could be more than that.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think so, too. The price and length are hard to determine because of the fact that he feels like a tweener but on the other hand he could be more than that.

He's not a top 6 guy and I don't think he ever will be. However I wouldn't say he has exactly had the fit that works for him on the third either over the years.

Who knows though, I think he progressed this season, I just don't see him ever being a 20 goal guy either.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
FWIW, I do not think that Ribs-Sissons-Smith is a badly constructed line. It's actually a good combination. My idea was just to get more out of Jarny than we have so far..

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
He's not a top 6 guy and I don't think he ever will be. However I wouldn't say he has exactly had the fit that works for him on the third either over the years.

Who knows though, I think he progressed this season, I just don't see him ever being a 20 goal guy either.

I see him as our #3C when Fish and Ribs are gone.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
FWIW, I do not think that Ribs-Sissons-Smith is a badly constructed line. It's actually a good combination. My idea was just to get more out of Jarny than we have so far..

Jarny is not a guy you need to worry about getting going. The Joey line was the big issue and it looks like Arvy is working atm. If Hook scores then great, if he doesnt, no big deal. He is more of a utility guy who you can float if you need to.

He was basically on the first for most of the year because we had no one else and he was ok. Arvy is much more dangerous in that spot if he can handle it and really you need a shoot first guy on that line if Neal is with Fisher. Forsberg is a scorer, but also is more of a creator. Jarnkrok is more of a creator than a shooter as well.

golfmade

Go Preds Go
Dec 30, 2002
Idahoan in Taiwan
So I recently ordered dinner, didn't think much of the price but then we got to our second game 7...

I ordered 2 pizzas, some chicken and a small cheese cake. The total price? NT$777 (roughly US$24).

Hoping it's a good sign. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad