WCSF Gm#7: KINGS vs. Sharks - 5/28/13 - THIRD ROUND! GO KINGS GO!

Nefarious

Classless Doty
Jun 27, 2006
King's Landing
Lol should read the Penguins board, so full of themselves.

Yup. It's pretty clear they don't watch Kings games either. Lots of conjecture and hyperbole. Oh well, they still need to get through Boston, who I think has a very good chance to put them on their *****.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Thank you for the win I can sleep with ease now! Great game I was on the edge of my seat the whole time! Quick yeah I think he's an okay goalie! But one things for sure we don't have to hear Michelleti's hard on for the sharks anymore never new how annoying he was until this series!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's as if the Kings are on a path to avenge previous playoff losses. Last year the Kings got revenge from their 2010 first round loss to the Canucks, and this year they exacted revenge from their 2011 first round loss to the Sharks (and both series losses ended in 6 games).

The team really has matured as a group when you compare their performance now to what we saw from them two-three seasons ago. I think a big reason for that is Darryl Sutter. They seem more calm and confident in defending a lead, as opposed to the playing on their heels style we were accustomed to under Terry Murray.

I hope the Wings and Hawks beat the crap out of each other and go through a grueling Game 7 (with multiple overtime periods please!).

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Devils fans have nothing better to do than to pile on votes for Marty Brodeur to win the NHL 14 cover vote. Maybe with all that free time they can help Kovalchuk count all of his money.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
So true, basketball players have a sore knee or something and we hear about it constantly game-to-game. :shakehead
Euh, its easier to play injured while being a hockey player or pro-cyclist than being a basketball or football player for instance.

* I think Carter is a bit sloppy lately.
* Quick is a beast.
* I understand you start to play more defense when you lead but the Kings really play full defensive mode after being up by a goal or two goals. My heart cant take it.
* For instance, they constantly make a line change when they are in the offensive zone.
* I had good hopes before this series but lost all hope after game 6. Good job.
* I think this is it. Kings have played well, not great, and showed last year was no fluke. I doubt they can beat the Hawks and we have been a bit lucky. You've got to admit that.

Last edited:

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Some tidbits:

Now 22-0 in the playoffs when scoring 2 goals. Heh. that stat is still nuts.

Total time in offensive zone for series was LA156:12 SJ 163:13

The home team has won 16 of the last 17 meetings between the Kings and Sharks over the past 2 seasons. So yeah, that meaningless win at the end of the season that wound up giving the Kings home ice was pretty ****ing important. :)

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
People don't understand how hard of a Matchup the Blues/Sharks were.

I think had the Blues won, they would be going to a Cup Final.

The Blues are that good, same could be said for the Sharks.

The Sharks were a different team once they off loaded some slow guys.

I think the Kings drew the two toughest teams in the first two rounds.

There was literally ZERO room to skate anyway. None of the teams remaining fore check like the Sharks/Blues(maybe Boston).

There will be more ice available to the Kings next round. Teams like Chicago/Pitt are going to have trouble moving the puck against the Kings.

The NYI almost took out Pitt with their Fore check....That would make me nervous as a Pitt fan.

I don't think Pitt gets passed Boston, so my LA/Boston Cup Final is still on track.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The NYI almost took out Pitt with their Fore check....That would make me nervous as a Pitt fan.

The Islanders would have won that series if Nabokov wasn't just as bad as Fleury.

Halfway to another Cup. The one thing we never saw last year was how the Kings would respond to elimination. And they responded like the champs do.

The remaining teams aren't happy this morning, because the Kings have both the best goaltender and the best defenseman left. This series obviously would have ended earlier if the Kings could have figured out how to score more than 1 goal on the road. That's one thing they need to figure out, even year after almost running the table on the road, can't really expect to run the table at home.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
This is a bit OT, but do yourselves a favor and go look at the Around the League thread for the Devils. It's just astounding how bitter they still are. It's not even a '**** those guys since they beat us in the finals", it's almost like we killed their dog with their hatred of our team over there.
I seriously thought it was a parody.

Several straight posts about how much they dislike the fans, logo, arena, celebrities, confetti, players, mascot etc. :laugh:

tumblr_m8nbap8Zsu1rrjuv5.gif

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
New Jersey fans are just bitter because many a Kings fan told them that their team was on the decline and now it is happening to them.

The Kovalchuk signing just delayed the inevitable for that team.

JBernierFan

Drink up!
Jul 10, 2006
San Diego
I didn't post last night but I just wanted to say that game was INSANITY!!!!! I don't think I breathed the whole time. Of course props to the usuals, Williams, Quick, Doughty, Voynov and Kopi this game, but HUGE props to Penner and Richardson. I think that may have been Richardson's best game of his career all around. He was a beast on the PK and forecheck. I hope it shows DS how important he is as a utility guy. He came up huge tonight.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Lol should read the Penguins board, so full of themselves.

Just like the team they follow.

Devils fans have nothing better to do than to pile on votes for Marty Brodeur to win the NHL 14 cover vote. Maybe with all that free time they can help Kovalchuk count all of his money.

The ex girlfriend is still angry :laugh:

I seriously thought it was a parody.

Several straight posts about how much they dislike the fans, logo, arena, celebrities, confetti, players, mascot etc. :laugh:

tumblr_m8nbap8Zsu1rrjuv5.gif

Me too :naughty:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Love the butthurt media over the 2-1 score. We're killing hockey, guys, we're just like the dead-puck-era Devils, etc.

It's exceedingly clear by looking at responses to games who actually watched them and who didn't. I'm ok with not liking our style, but to just parrot box scores is hilarious. Gotta love other members of the media setting people straight, though :laugh: People keep saying the Kings are playing trap hockey because the scores are so low. wtf? Do they not realize who we have played? Great defensive teams with solid goalies. And for anyone that's watched, it was actually the Sharks who were sitting with 5 men in the neutral zone with the lead. Meh. Rant over!

Man, part of me wishes people liked our team as much as I do, but it's wonderful making haters eat crow. I'm still so stoked this morning!

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
One other thing, I'm sick of hearing that we haven't faced an "offensive powerhouse." Last year, your offensive leaders couldn't get it done because they were kicked out by more defensive teams.

The top 7 offensive powerhouses in 2012:

1 Pittsburgh: out in first round
2 Philadelphia: out in 2nd round, faced Pitt in 1st round
3 Boston: out in the 1st round
4 Ottawa: out in the 1st round
5 Vancouver: out in 1st round
6 Chicago: out in the 1st round
7 Detroit: out in the 1st round

Wow, noticing a pattern here? The defensive teams shut them down come playoff time. Because defense wins championships. I mean how much of a offensive powerhouse do the Kings need to face? 5 goals per game? Chicago is also a good defensive team which is why they are right now, but they could still lose tonight to an offense that was ranked 20th in the league this year.

The only exception has been Pittsburgh and really, I don't get it. I think they are exploitable with the right system. They have players who get frustrated easily and while Vokoun is playing well, he is not an elite goaltender.

But facing a pure 'offensive powerhouse', I believe is easier than facing the defensive and goaltending talent we have faced over the past two years. In this year in particular, the grinding, forechecking, no open space games we had to play is very difficult and that people keep writing them off because of 'they don't score a billion goals' is an insult to the teams we played and our team as well.

I'm so sick of people overrating scoring. It's important but I'd take defense any day of the week.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
Love the butthurt media over the 2-1 score. We're killing hockey, guys, we're just like the dead-puck-era Devils, etc.

It's exceedingly clear by looking at responses to games who actually watched them and who didn't. I'm ok with not liking our style, but to just parrot box scores is hilarious. Gotta love other members of the media setting people straight, though :laugh: People keep saying the Kings are playing trap hockey because the scores are so low. wtf? Do they not realize who we have played? Great defensive teams with solid goalies. And for anyone that's watched, it was actually the Sharks who were sitting with 5 men in the neutral zone with the lead. Meh. Rant over!

Man, part of me wishes people liked our team as much as I do, but it's wonderful making haters eat crow. I'm still so stoked this morning!

It absolutely blow my mind when people say we're killing the game with all the block shots we have. Yup, being last in the league in blocked shots and having Quick make miraculous save after miraculous save means we're playing with 6 goalies like the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad