WCSF Gm#7: KINGS vs. Sharks - 5/28/13 - THIRD ROUND! GO KINGS GO!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He might look a little rodent-ish, but he busts his butt and gets pissed when they lose. He also takes responsibility and tells it like it is. Pretty competitive guy, you can see why him and Drew get on so well.

Have. to say I'm glad he's pissed, though :D

Well said, yeah!

Part of me hates his whining and diving, the other part goes whoa, at least he takes ownership and cares 100x more than the rest of their team. That's a pretty honest take for the morning after and I think he'll use it as fuel to have a chip on his shoulder next year. Could be the best thing for his development.

I guess I'd be whining to the refs too if I couldn't score 5-on-5 :P but playing with a busted ankle and voicing his feelings like that tells me all I need to know about Couture. And yeah, you can see a lot of similarity between him and Drew.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It absolutely blow my mind when people say we're killing the game with all the block shots we have. Yup, being last in the league in blocked shots and having Quick make miraculous save after miraculous save means we're playing with 6 goalies like the Rangers.

Seriously haha. People take one glance at the shot count and final score and make assumptions. It's disgusting.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The 3rd period of Game 4 against St.Louis, and the last few minutes of Game 2 against San Jose, have pretty much saved the Kings season so far.

Couldn't go back to St.Louis down 3-1. Then in a series where the home team eventually won every game, to lose Game 2 at home seems like it would've been big.

We'll find out if the Kings have a moment like that in the conference finals.

It's been a crazy ride so far. Best time to ever be a Kings fan. Never won a Cup before last season. Had only been beyond the 2nd round once before last season. Now there's a Cup, consecutive trips to at least the 3rd round, already broke a few records last year, and now they have at least a decent chance to pull off this year what few teams have been able to do.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Another great win.

Happy that the POS Torres scheme didn't work out and that we were able to win without Stoll. Last night was one rare win. We didn't win in the face off circle and still won the game. Quick sure is looking like he might be a generational talent in net. The rest of the team looked very good and while we looked a bit slow we also played with a nice amount of edge so that made up for it.

GO KINGS GO!!!!!!!!

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Finally checking in after last night's intensity -- and I really don't have much to add (at least yet, haven't scrolled back and read) to the in-game analysis, but this was my first in-person playoff game in 15 years, and one off-ice things really kinda stuck with me for the wrong reasons?

When did the Staples Center crowd become so juvenile when dealing with visiting fans?

Seriously -- I understand being jubilant about winning a tightly-contested seven-game series at home, and going to the WCF, that's awesome... but I thought the "Hey, <teamname> fan!" *pause* "YOU SUCK!!" (yelled by many people after the initial single person) chant was classless and violating the basic rules of heckling -- you never attack another fan who hasn't attacked you first. Besides, if you had the ability to go see Game Seven in the Shark Tank, you'd be there in a heartbeat. Most of the Sharks fans I saw were MUCH better behaved than the boors taunting them before the game even began. They weren't doing anything more than being good fans.

Shame on you, fellow Kings fans, for being louts. Attacking the opposing players -- that's what being a fan is about. But visiting fans should be treated with respect until and unless THEY do something to lose that respect. After all, we're all SUPPOSED to be fans of HOCKEY, in addition to just the Kings.

*SMDH and steps off the soapbox*

OK, that's off my chest -- onto the WCF!

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Finally checking in after last night's intensity -- and I really don't have much to add (at least yet, haven't scrolled back and read) to the in-game analysis, but this was my first in-person playoff game in 15 years, and one off-ice things really kinda stuck with me for the wrong reasons?

When did the Staples Center crowd become so juvenile when dealing with visiting fans?

Seriously -- I understand being jubilant about winning a tightly-contested seven-game series at home, and going to the WCF, that's awesome... but I thought the "Hey, <teamname> fan!" *pause* "YOU SUCK!!" (yelled by many people after the initial single person) chant was classless and violating the basic rules of heckling -- you never attack another fan who hasn't attacked you first. Besides, if you had the ability to go see Game Seven in the Shark Tank, you'd be there in a heartbeat. Most of the Sharks fans I saw were MUCH better behaved than the boors taunting them before the game even began. They weren't doing anything more than being good fans.

Shame on you, fellow Kings fans, for being louts. Attacking the opposing players -- that's what being a fan is about. But visiting fans should be treated with respect until and unless THEY do something to lose that respect. After all, we're all SUPPOSED to be fans of HOCKEY, in addition to just the Kings.

*SMDH and steps off the soapbox*

OK, that's off my chest -- onto the WCF!
I totally agree. The Staples Center crown has developed some bad habits, not helped by Bailey and whoever runs the media there. The game is about glory, and there is ZERO glory in telling your opponents and their fans that they suck.

Regarding the game, I am still stunned by the plays that led to our second goal last night. Pavelski, Couture, and Marleau have a good shift in our zone, force Quick to make a good save and then nearly score on a deflected shot, and then the Kings start to break the puck out--AND THEN ALL THREE OF THOSE FORWARDS GO FOR A LINE CHANGE. They totally left their defenders high and dry, absolutely gifting us a four-on-two. Wow--and this from players that are supposed to be veterans in Marleau and Pavelski. What a pathetic display from those two. At least Couture has the excuse that he's relatively young, but still, if he's that dedicated to winning, he doesn't make a play like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
For anyone that remembers (and nobody I know still really cares), but I felt like last night was a good night to make amends with ol' Patty.

BLc39AICcAAAuqj.jpg:large

Captain Mittens*

For anyone that remembers (and nobody I know still really cares), but I felt like last night was a good night to make amends with ol' Patty.

BLc39AICcAAAuqj.jpg:large

LOL

Did he notice it or say anything?

Anyone catch it on Kings Live?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Love the butthurt media over the 2-1 score. We're killing hockey, guys, we're just like the dead-puck-era Devils, etc.

It's exceedingly clear by looking at responses to games who actually watched them and who didn't. I'm ok with not liking our style, but to just parrot box scores is hilarious. Gotta love other members of the media setting people straight, though :laugh: People keep saying the Kings are playing trap hockey because the scores are so low. wtf? Do they not realize who we have played? Great defensive teams with solid goalies. And for anyone that's watched, it was actually the Sharks who were sitting with 5 men in the neutral zone with the lead. Meh. Rant over!

Man, part of me wishes people liked our team as much as I do, but it's wonderful making haters eat crow. I'm still so stoked this morning!
Disagree, unfortunately.

Puck in the corner while there are open lanes to shoot. No intention at all to enter the opponent's zone and when they do, they go for a line change with 4 players in the offensive zone ! etc etc.

The Kings dont try to play attractive hockey and have no urgent need to score a goal. I'm not saying they should play any differently but I'm not blind.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Disagree, unfortunately.

Puck in the corner while there are open lanes to shoot. No intention at all to enter the opponent's zone and when they do, they go for a line change with 4 players in the offensive zone ! etc etc.

The Kings dont try to play attractive hockey and have no urgent need to score a goal. I'm not saying they should play any differently but I'm not blind.

No need for the extra shot there at the end. It's okay to disagree.

You didn't respond to any of my points, though. I'm not saying the Kings play the most attractive hockey this year and I could care less. But it's not like we're not actively TRYING to play offense. You can't skate in if your opponent is murdering the neutral zone. There weren't many shooting lanes on the Sharks as the blocked shots testify. Changing in the opponents zone was an opportunity to change with possession of the puck, nothing more, nothing less; after all, we got our second goal when the Sharks didn't.

I know this kind of hockey isn't everyone's cup of tea, but there are some very technical things going on, and while I know everyone now wants to blame the Kings for killing hockey, the opponents are equally to blame (and I don't think there IS blame...just east coast high-scoring enthusiasts who only know how to read a box score in the morning).

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
No need for the extra shot there at the end. It's okay to disagree.

You didn't respond to any of my points, though. I'm not saying the Kings play the most attractive hockey this year and I could care less. But it's not like we're not actively TRYING to play offense. You can't skate in if your opponent is murdering the neutral zone. There weren't many shooting lanes on the Sharks as the blocked shots testify. Changing in the opponents zone was an opportunity to change with possession of the puck, nothing more, nothing less; after all, we got our second goal when the Sharks didn't.

I know this kind of hockey isn't everyone's cup of tea, but there are some very technical things going on, and while I know everyone now wants to blame the Kings for killing hockey, the opponents are equally to blame (and I don't think there IS blame...just east coast high-scoring enthusiasts who only know how to read a box score in the morning).
To be honest, that was not an 'extra shot' , that was not my intention. Its just how I view it, not that you are blind.

We can discuss this to death, I understand that fans from other teams dont like how the Kings play.

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
He might look a little rodent-ish, but he busts his butt and gets pissed when they lose. He also takes responsibility and tells it like it is. Pretty competitive guy, you can see why him and Drew get on so well.

Have. to say I'm glad he's pissed, though :D

He took a lot of it on himself in the post game interview for not scoring.

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
Awesome fan video!! Having never been to Staples this makes me feel like I was there!

I noticed people were standing. Is this the norm? Is it a special cheaper section? Or were they just standing at that specific time?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
To be honest, that was not an 'extra shot' , that was not my intention. Its just how I view it, not that you are blind.

We can discuss this to death, I understand that fans from other teams dont like how the Kings play.

Gotcha. I overread it. My bad :)

And I can agree to disagree, I have no problem with that--I just have beef when other fans can't articulate what's boring about it other than the box score. And I'm obnoxious about it, as you can tell. It's mostly my fault :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad