WCSF Game 4: Kings lose to Sharks 2-1

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Fraser and Richardson should not play…

Fraser should sit? Yes!
Richardson? No way!

Richardson did more on the one shift last night (where he got hit by Burns) than Kyle Clifford did all night. I've actually been pretty impressed with Richie, he's been the best bottom liner

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Fraser should sit? Yes!
Richardson? No way!

Richardson did more on the one shift last night (where he got hit by Burns) than Kyle Clifford did all night. I've actually been pretty impressed with Richie, he's been the best bottom liner

Yep, I'd rather keep Richie than Fraser after this season. Fraser hasn't really contributed anything this season but bad drop passes. He's not fast enough to hit any Sharks, nor big enough, and though he's a little bit of sandpaper, that's a slot we could definitely upgrade (Andreoff?) with some hunger. I hate to say it because he's likeable (minus the Nickleback obsession--boo!), but I think we're starting to see why Fraser was seen as expendable by some other teams.

Nolan, King, we can at least blame sophomore slumps/learning curves/not taking anyone by surprise, but Fraser has the experience (or should) to not be a liability.

Again, though, hard to lay any blame on the 4th line when Kopitar is being outproduced by Gomez.

The Big Giant Head

Mar 27, 2009
So-Cal
Glad we're headed back to Staples...we need that home ice advantage to get anywhere right now. I was so embarrassed for our team and effort after that 1st period. 2nd was a little better and the 3rd was great.

I dont understand why these guys dont play San Jose like we play St.Louis...we need to bring our physical game back and start hitting everything that moves. Brown has been frustrating...hes always waiting to see what happens instead of making something happen...that whole 1st line needs to get their **** together.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
And you gotta give props to Doughty. He's still hesitating when he has an open shot but at least he's been putting some moves on guys after faking and just walking right around his defender. Doughty and Quick have been studs all playoffs.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Brown - Kopitar - Toffoli
Penner - Richards - Carter
Clifford - Lewis - Williams
King - Richardson - Nolan

Doughty - Scuderi
Voynov - Regehr
Martinez - Greene
Muzzin

Quick

Last edited:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
And you gotta give props to Doughty. He's still hesitating when he has an open shot but at least he's been putting some moves on guys after faking and just walking right around his defender. Doughty and Quick have been studs all playoffs.

Doughty made a couple of bad bad bad moves last night though

but other than last night, yes he is a stud

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Glad we're headed back to Staples...we need that home ice advantage to get anywhere right now. I was so embarrassed for our team and effort after that 1st period. 2nd was a little better and the 3rd was great.

I dont understand why these guys dont play San Jose like we play St.Louis...we need to bring our physical game back and start hitting everything that moves. Brown has been frustrating...hes always waiting to see what happens instead of making something happen...that whole 1st line needs to get their **** together.

I concur, but it looks like the book is out on the Kings. They're kind of roping our forecheckers in then transitioning AROUND us. instead of going right up the boards, they go laterally and up, and with their forward speed, it results in a lot of open ice. I mean, if we're gonna get beat on that, may as well finish some checks, but I'd really like to see some more adjustments to slow their forwards down so that they can't just skate freely from their high dot to our blue line.

Also, I'm still so sad for Kopi :( I know this is going to sound like making excuses at a time when they're pointless, but you can tell that he's hurt by his board play. One of his greatest assets is totally nullified in this series by both the opponent and his lack of strength. We don't see him protecting the puck and creating space in the corners for Brown and Williams because the puck just keeps dying on the boards with him. I think I've seen him get pinned more in each game this series than in teh rest of his career. THe only defensemen I've EVER seen manhandle him prior to this playoffs are Weber and Doug Murray.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007

Doughty - Scuderi
Voynov - Regehr
Martinez - Greene
Muzzin

Quick

don't tell me that this lineup can't rock the sharks the next 2 games

Ron*

Sharks Fan - I come in peace.

Shame you guys got screwed on the no-goal.

Sharks scored a similar goal against vancouver, game 2, where it trickled between Luongo. I remember turning to my bro saying I was surprised the refs didn't blow the early whistle.

Unfortunately, this game, they did.

Love winning, but not when the refs are deciding it. You still have home ice, here's to better reffing the rest of the way.

Whistle should have gone in New Jersey series last season also when Brodeur trapped puck under pad but King and Martinez kept poking at it until it went into the net.

These things even out.

Besides, the way the Kings played the first 30 minutes, they didn't deserve to win that game anyway. Watching them put the pressure on in the 3rd like they did just made me angrier.

Going to the game tomorrow night. They better not play like that in the 1st period again, is all I gotta say. Walk the talk: if you are going to say we need to step it up, then step it up.

Oh Snap

Very Wet Island
Jan 21, 2008
California, USA

Doughty - Scuderi
Voynov - Regehr
Martinez - Greene
Muzzin

Quick

That's a lineup that I would LOVE to see. If Toffoli struggles on the first line then bump him down to the third and put Williams back.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
look at logan go !

rat-o.gif

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Fraser should sit? Yes!
Richardson? No way!

I was a little disappointed in Clifford's game last night. He passed up a couple of opportunities to finish a check that he has to get done every time.

I think that may be the biggest thing missing from the bottom six in this season's playoffs, the bottom six finished every check last year.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
LOL

from LeBrun, today's lines are Brown-Lewis-King, Clifford-Kopi-Williams, Penner-Richards-Carter. er.

From Helene, add Richardson-Fraser-Toffoli to that. /blender

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Good. They needed to break that top line up, if they didn't, we'd be riding it all the way out of the playoffs. Dunno if Clifford with Kopi will work though.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Good. They needed to break that top line up, if they didn't, we'd be riding it all the way out of the playoffs. Dunno if Clifford with Kopi will work though.

I agree. Kopi needs a physical presence there though.

I was lol'ing more at Brown-Lewis-King. I don't know what to make of that.

Ron*

For those of you wishing Martinez back, sorry.

He's an extra skater on defense along with Ellerby.

Sydor25

LA Kings
I would rather see Pearson-Vey-Toffoli as the fourth line. Might as well see what they could do for 5-7 minutes. Fraser sucks again and Richardson has no future.

The fourth line should be able to provide some energy. Plus they already have chemistry from Manchester.

King-Lewis-Brown. :biglaugh:

Ron*

Line combos at practice today (from Jim Fox via Twitter):

Clifford/Kopitar/Williams
Penner/Richards/Carter
King/Lewis/Brown
Richardson/Fraser/Toffoli/Nolan

Regehr/Doughty
Scuderi/Voynov
Muzzin/Greene

Martinez/Ellerby

Captain Mittens*

For those of you wishing Martinez back, sorry.

He's an extra skater on defense along with Ellerby.
As usual, Ron is right

#LAKings line combos at practice 13-11-14/25-10-77/74-22-23/15-24-73-71///44-8/7-26/6-2/27-5

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The Sharks don't really scare me. It's the Kings and their lack of effort that is concerning. Look at the difference in both teams when the Kings start playing like they're capable of.
This is how I feel. We are absolutely the better team if we play up to our potential. Quick is in beast mode and its really a pity so many players are not top notch. Our franchise' 1st line center has one stinky goal. Williams have been invisible since game two (1st round). Brown isnt playing well. Than you also have a scrub like King playing 15 minutes a night, which doesnt make things anything better.

And yet somehow, the Kings managed to beat the Blues and it's tied now. Its pretty unbelievable actually that they have come this far.

I just love Mike Richards. We call whine about how Thornton was mishandling him last night but I think that's massively overblown. The team as a whole didnt play well that 1st period. Joe had way to much time and space, Richie is 5'11 and Thornton 6'4". To me he has been the Kings best forward these playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad