WCSF Game 4: Kings lose to Sharks 2-1

KingKopitar11*

It's puzzling how this team continues to have very slow starts. I can't recall the last time it was the Kings that came on strong from the drop of the puck. This team needs a killer instinct and attitude.

Look at how different the second line looked when Penner was put on there. Keep that line intact for Game 5 and take it to the Sharks. Despite a horrendous first half of the game, the Kings were within reach to tie or win this game.

I expect a significantly better effort on Thursday.

They aren't as excited to start. They only come out when they really need to. If the kings play like they did 2/3rd period. We would of won. Plus we were unlucky.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
It's puzzling how this team continues to have very slow starts. I can't recall the last time it was the Kings that came on strong from the drop of the puck. This team needs a killer instinct and attitude.

Look at how different the second line looked when Penner was put on there. Keep that line intact for Game 5 and take it to the Sharks. Despite a horrendous first half of the game, the Kings were within reach to tie or win this game.

I expect a significantly better effort on Thursday.

We have been saying that the whole playoff's.

I just think these guys don't care till they are in a pickle....

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
My 98 year old grama coulda made the right call on that no-goal. We shoulda got at least one more goal in the third, though.

Muzzin wasn't bad. Jumped into the play effectively.

Martinez needs to be back in.

I hope Greene feels good enough to be effective next game.

Love Brown, and last year's run bought a lot of good will from me.....but the dog house is beckoning.

Kopitar showed signs of life tonight....come on big guy!

Home team wins em all in this series.....get ready for 7 games folks!

bcking

Aug 26, 2005
Canada
I'm not blaming anything on Muzzin, but why isn't Amart being paired up with Greene?

Come on DS!!! Get your **** together!!!

Don't think it will happen unless we dress 7 d

Muzzin played 20min today don't see DS benching him

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Let's not be like Sharks fans and dwell on officiating costing the Kings this game. This was all on the Kings. They took some stupid penalties, they didn't bother to show up for 40 minutes, and yet they somehow managed to lose by one goal.

Now it's an even series that comes down to a best of three, just like the St. Louis series. Time to collect themselves and to pull their heads out of their rear ends and show up for 60 minutes at home on Thursday.

Well said.

The Kings big guns only showed up the final 15 minutes or so, Kopitar was absolutely flying, Richards got a goal and was carrying the puck. But they were both no shows through 20.

Just watching the highlights, Carter is coasting into the slot on the Burns goal, one good stride he breaks it up, that is as frustrating as Muzzin's missed net.

My biggest concern for game 5 is stopping Thornton 5 on 5. When we were in LA he started out with Richards and switched to Kopitar, unfortunately in SJ he got the 2nd line caught out there alot against Thornton. I think the best bet is having Kopitar and one of RR or Greene, Thornton is just to much for guys like Richards, Voynov and even Doughty.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Yet once again, I'm left waiting for the Kings to "play their best." The 3rd period was a good start, let's hope it carries over to game five in period #1.

I think we should just about give up on the idea that we're all of sudden going to see the 2012 team out there. We were an unknown commodity and teams didn't know how to play against us. We are known now.

If we're winning this series or going on to repeat, we're going to have to gut it out, through injuries and all, and play a lot better off the opening face off. That's been our biggest killer.

Really upset about this game, though - not going to lie. That phantom stoppage on Penner's goal could have completely changed the game. Just absurd how much the refs have managed to insert themselves into this series.

I knew we would come back and make a game out of it because this is how teams play us. They come out with a lot of energy and take it to us for the first period, then we steadily wear them down. The only issue is that we're falling behind and not burying the chances we have. Hey, look, Kopitar starts skating and giving a few bumps and we completely dominate the third period. This could have been a sweep in Anze would have showed up before the third period tonight.

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
This team suddenly showed up and now they should start taking care of business. Is Nolan worse then Frasier? Because F was road apples and I think we won't see him next game. Dustin on second and Clifford on third made a big difference comparing to all the other games played so far in this series. They looked much better and gave me some hope to getting out of this series on top.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
Well, at least they looked alive for the third. I thought Greene was okay, outside of that stupid penalty he took early in the 3rd (But that's the Greene we all know and love:sarcasm:). He did look a pit slow but the man was a god send in the passing lanes. Lots of cross ice pass attempted were thwarted by his stick.

misch13vousmike

Aug 26, 2011
Hollywood, CA
In any series we usually never see the best hockey until a series reaches games 5 through 7. I think we will see the best hockey the kings have to offer in the next 2 to 3 games

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

Exactly, A-Mart has never even cracked 20m this season.

It was one reason Sutter was not happy with his game.

Couldn't play him more minutes.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA

I know, and that's the frustrating part of it. I think most if not all of us would agree that Amart is the better overall dman of the two, but for some reason, Sutter loves this guy, much like he loves King, who should also be benched or play limited minutes on the 4th line.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Hey Kings. I'm gonna help you out here, ok?

On April 30th, 2012 you scored 4 goals in the 1st period. Crazy, right? Literally just happened last year. Go back and watch that game again and again until you figure out how to you ****ing did it!

This isn't a bloody horse race where you can sit back and wait for the home stretch. Might as well just send Quick out there by himself in the first period cause he's the only one who's showed up for them.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
I thought Muzzin was generally good. His offensive game is really getting nice.
Green was a bit slow but I am glad to have him back.
Kopitar played better
Dustin Brown? Brown? Brown?

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Whether we played bad or not, we got robbed of a goal. That was disgusting and embarrassing.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
flat 1st period. to many penalties. another game they didn't play the full 60-minutes. lack of scoring by everyone. they can only blame themselves.

the disallowed goal sucks, but it is what it is. you control what you can and then move on. the ref is positioned a few feet closer to the back of the net so he sees the puck is still live and maybe be doesn't blow the whistle. that you can't control.

squabbling over garbage like that is a sign they aren't controlling the pace and flow of the game. frankly it sounds like the crap we heard from PHX fans last year.

until they decide to commit and play the way they did last spring this will be what we see. they have to stop relying on this 'next level' they can ratchet it up to. play like that from the opening faceoff and the rest of the game then goes into cruise mode. wait until the latter part of the game, then its scramble mode.

no scoring now from anyone on the first two lines 5x5. no gravy goals from the bottom two lines 5x5. lack of physical play by them is allowing the opposition to dictate how the games will unfold.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That third was the best 20 minutes I've seen Richards play as a King. Needs to turn it into 60 minutes in Game 5.

Pretty worried about the games coming up but it was never going to be easy. The Kings have to start moving the puck a whole lot better. Tape to tape, instant decisionmaking. Voynov cost us a goal with a screwup, then Fraser took a ridiculous penalty. Neither of which were must-take to prevent a goal plays.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Just reposting Ziggy's post from the GDT:

Ziggy Stardust :
Let's not be like Sharks fans and dwell on officiating costing the Kings this game. This was all on the Kings. They took some stupid penalties, they didn't bother to show up for 40 minutes, and yet they somehow managed to lose by one goal.

Now it's an even series that comes down to a best of three, just like the St. Louis series. Time to collect themselves and to pull their heads out of their rear ends and show up for 60 minutes at home on Thursday.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I know. And that's the frustrating part of it. I think most if not all of us would agree that Amart is the better overall dman of the two, but for some reason, Sutter loves this guy, much like he loves King, who should also be benched or play limited minutes on the 4th line.

Martinez has no one to blame but himself for not playing. He was scratched most of the season, got a chance earlier in the playoffs, was average to below average and then he was the worst player on the ice in game 2 and likely sealed his fate. With MG back he is further down the depth chart. They clearly prefer Muzzin.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I just hope that they take something in from these losses and realize what it is going to take for them to win the next game. Don't think about winning the series, just focus on winning Game 5 at home.

A little more discipline and more time spent in the Sharks' end will also help reduce the number of penalties taken (unless we see someone do something stupid like Fraser did in taking his penalty which led to the Sharks' 2nd goal).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad