WCQF/PDSF: (P1) Calgary Flames vs (WC2) Colorado Avalanche | COL Leads 3-1 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
One more before I go.

Sam Bennett is genuinely really good at pissing people off. He's one of those guys that you can get caught chasing all game and forget about winning the scoreline.

That said, he needs to take some lessons from Tkachuk. Here's the difference between the two of them. Tkachuk is amazing at pissing people off and getting them to take the extra penalty. Bennett is the guy that takes the extra penalty. We've seen it twice now where he's taken the extra penalty in the scrum because he doesn't know when to stop. That's going to come back to hurt the Flames. He has to understand where the line of restraint is and how to work the other guy into crossing it instead of crossing it himself.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Right now, the Flames are forcing the puck exactly where the Avs are wanting them to. They need to stop doing that or else this series will be over quickly.

This has been the pattern for the Flames this year, though. They play badly in a win, then they play badly and lose, but pretend like they learned their lesson, then they get completely steamrolled, then they finally pay attention.

I feel like the Flames came into this series expecting to capitalize on the Avs' mistakes and win that way, but now they're playing a team that isn't making any mistakes. They need to get back to a system that can grind out wins through doing the right things instead of expecting the other team to hand them chances.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just 3 pages on this thread is a bit light compared to the other series. Not much bad blood I guess.

Flames are bound to wake up here, that was an embarrassing game and I expect them to come out flying tonight. Hats off to the Avs, they must of missed the memo that said they were suppose to get steamrolled by the top seed in the West.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
One more before I go.

Sam Bennett is genuinely really good at pissing people off. He's one of those guys that you can get caught chasing all game and forget about winning the scoreline.

That said, he needs to take some lessons from Tkachuk. Here's the difference between the two of them. Tkachuk is amazing at pissing people off and getting them to take the extra penalty. Bennett is the guy that takes the extra penalty. We've seen it twice now where he's taken the extra penalty in the scrum because he doesn't know when to stop. That's going to come back to hurt the Flames. He has to understand where the line of restraint is and how to work the other guy into crossing it instead of crossing it himself.

Tkachuk literally took the extra minor last night in the scrum with Landeskog after punching him in the face while on the ground.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just 3 pages on this thread is a bit light compared to the other series. Not much bad blood I guess.

Flames are bound to wake up here, that was an embarrassing game and I expect them to come out flying tonight. Hats off to the Avs, they must of missed the memo that said they were suppose to get steamrolled by the top seed in the West.

FWIW this is already the 2nd thread for this series...and it's a school day...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
FWIW this is already the 2nd thread for this series...and it's a school day...

I hereby retract my criticism of said light posting volumes and will state "Carry on with passion"

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I hereby retract my criticism of said light posting volumes and will state "Carry on with passion"

It's been relatively cordial since the games actually started...but before the series got under way, there was a lot of shade getting thrown around :laugh:

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Time to clog up the neutral zone. I think every fan, scout and analyst have said this, so hopefully Peters is listening. Have to neutralize the Avs speed.. Collapsing to the net and letting them walk isn't how you do that :huh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's been relatively cordial since the games actually started...but before the series got under way, there was a lot of shade getting thrown around :laugh:

That is impressive........it has been my experience that mixed fan GDT's are one of the most god forsaken places on HFBoards.

Reactions: cgf

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
I am always careful not to write off a good team like Calgary too quickly. That was an epic beat down and I expect them to respond.

I hope you’re right. The flames this series have shown no signs of being a good team. The past 2 games they’ve been a disaster everywhere on the ice, their transition and team defensive and offensive discipline are in shambles. Making EJ, zadorov and cole look like the 07 ducks defence.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Credit where credit is due, the Avs have made the necessary adjustments to neutralize the Flames and we just haven't been able to make counter-adjustments. The Avs fully deserve to be leading this series, hopefully the Flames can wake up for game 4 and make a series out of this, but if they play the same way they played games 2 & 3, then this will be over by Friday night.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I'm glad this series is showing that Gaudreau is not an equal to MacKinnon just like how a couple years ago MacKinnon put to rest the Monahan vs MacKinnon debate. The kid just has that extra something that makes him more special.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That is impressive........it has been my experience that mixed fan GDT's are one of the most god forsaken places on HFBoards.

Ain't that the truth :laugh:

It doesn't hurt that we've been yelling at one another on HFavs all season long about whether we can continue "staying patient" & building through the draft; or if Joe needs to start adding the reinforcements that we lack ASAFP because it'll be a massive failure if we don't start next season with (at least) two new top 6ers.

So we've been pretty quick to jump down our more...eccentric...fans' throats when they've gotten too ridiculous lol. And the way games 2 & 3 have gone seems to have dampened some of the Flames' more boisterous posters' spirits.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Have the Flames ever tried Monahan on the wing? I would try swapping Lindholm and Monahan and see what happens. Seems like Lindholm would be better defensively and Monahan could still utilize his shot from the wing without being dominated by Mackinnon every shift. Monahan needs to add some semblance of grit and urgency to his game if he wants to be a true 1C in this league.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Have the Flames ever tried Monahan on the wing? I would try swapping Lindholm and Monahan and see what happens. Seems like Lindholm would be better defensively and Monahan could still utilize his shot from the wing without being dominated by Mackinnon every shift. Monahan needs to add some semblance of grit and urgency to his game if he wants to be a true 1C in this league.
While not perfect, I think Monahan is playing through something, he was great for most of the year and than just after the all star break something happened and he’s been hot trash since. I wouldn’t mind them bumping Monahan down a line or two and letting Lindy center Gaudreau and Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad