WCQF Gm#5: KINGS vs. BLUES - 5/8/13 - Three Down, ONE TO GO!!! GO KINGS GO!

chaser39

Oct 13, 2010
congrats on yet another win. I was not able to watch the game, but I did listen to most of it. The Blues play-by-play tandem of Chris Kerber and Kelly Chase kept mentioning how the Kings know how to win. I swear I don't know if my Blues will ever win the cup in my lifetime. We are always missing that one intangible that makes a difference. Tonight it was a god awful goal let in by Elliott. Makes me sick. Not that we are losing to you guys, but how we are losing. Frustrating to say the least. But like last year, if we can't win, I hope you all repeat. Your team is what the Stanley Cup is defined by. I'll be back Friday win or lose. Good luck.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Interesting stat about Slava from the article on Puck Daddy about tonight's game"

How big have Voynov's contributions been? Including playoffs, the Kings are undefeated in the last 10 games he's scored a goal.

Ron*

Interesting stat about Slava from the article on Puck Daddy about tonight's game"

How big have Voynov's contributions been? Including playoffs, the Kings are undefeated in the last 10 games he's scored a goal.

The Kings have won three games in this series and he has potted the GWG in two of them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
congrats on yet another win. I was not able to watch the game, but I did listen to most of it. The Blues play-by-play tandem of Chris Kerber and Kelly Chase kept mentioning how the Kings know how to win. I swear I don't know if my Blues will ever win the cup in my lifetime. We are always missing that one intangible that makes a difference. Tonight it was a god awful goal let in by Elliott. Makes me sick. Not that we are losing to you guys, but how we are losing. Frustrating to say the least. But like last year, if we can't win, I hope you all repeat. Your team is what the Stanley Cup is defined by. I'll be back Friday win or lose. Good luck.

They will. The Blues aren't far away now.

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
Ohh man was I suffering..

As I loged in on GCL I saw a glimpse of the screen showing,

Waiting for OT.

So I knew that this was going 60+ and I was scared to death by the momentum Blues would gain by tie it up. Thank God Elliot took a time like this to take a softy.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Welcome and thanks for the post! :)

The Blues are an elite team. You'll experience a Cup in your lifetime.

Ron*

I made my feelings knows about the Blues last season. The Blues and Kings have a kinship that goes back to 1967. We finally got the monkey off our back last season, I hope the Blues can get their monkey off their back soon but of course I will always root for my Kings first.

Don't lose faith. I waited for 45 years, right from the start. In all reality, we got owned tonight but the Kings' patience to take the shot when they have the few advantages they had tonight was the difference maker.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Not that we are losing to you guys, but how we are losing. Frustrating to say the least.

Did you not see game 1?

How do you think we as Kings fans feel about losing in OT like that on a 4 minute power play!?

Ah, didn't see it from that angle didja...?

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
We have to take him out otherwise Steen may take him out...on a date or something.

Seriously though, the Blues players know that if Muzz is on the ice, just key on him when he has the puck. He looks like Shattenkirk last year when we laid the body on him.

Seriously. It's beyond obvious now.

Muzzin brings some physical presence and a great shot on the back end during the power play but boy... he loses almost every board battle and his consistent turnovers are taking a toll on the entire team, not just us fans.

:shakehead

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Seriously. It's beyond obvious now.

Muzzin brings some physical presence and a great shot on the back end during the power play but boy... he loses almost every board battle and his consistent turnovers are taking a toll on the entire team, not just us fans.

:shakehead

Maybe we should convert him to forward...he has the hardest and best point shot in the entire Kings organization.

Jun 30, 2006
That's my view, but I guess we'll see what Sutter's is. I expected him to go with 7D tonight. He tries to present as a dumb farmer, but he's a clever SOB. That flummoxed Hitchcock more than it should have. It worked well enough he was able to roll four lines (meanwhile the CPR line saw less time as the game wore on).

OTOH, that 7D really seems to work when Sutter has last change.

Penner alluded to Hitchcock relying less on the 4th line in OT and pretty much rolled with 3 lines. We looked a lot more faster in OT and had more puck possession by continuing to roll with 4 lines, DS has done some great coaching in this series with his adjustments.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

Actually I don't think the Blues will win without making at least two major trades. Last year you faced us and you had no Kopitar. This year no Carter. I think Leopold is a good add for your team, a vet playoff defenseman who isn't easily intimidated. Jay Bouwmeester though, you'll need to deal him if you hope to win the Cup. Either that or hope he is willing to take a 75% pay cut AND somehow attract a free agent scorer with that money.

And, if I read you guys correctly, you're not projecting Halak or Elliott as the goaltender of the future...

It's too bad because I think your team would have ripped up the Ducks, Sharks and Hawks. They wouldn't be close games like ours.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Given the curveballs Sutter has thrown so far... maybe we see New Guy and Greene on Friday. Or Nolan and Greene.

gtwyc

FlyingHeadButts4All
Jun 5, 2011
los angeles, ca

dont be down man the series aint over. also we lost twice in the first round before our cup run. IF you guys dont advance to 2nd round, hopefully your team learns from it, and your gm makes a move to put your team over the top. these teams are so similar, its uncanny. but like i said the series is not over. it takes four wins to advance. neither team has four wins yet!

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
tumblr_mminwckmWw1roe08ko1_500.gif

tumblr_mminwckmWw1roe08ko2_500.gif

tumblr_mminwckmWw1roe08ko4_500.gif

(credit to ChrisKunitz)

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Kings have won 7 in a row @ home & 13 of 16 vs. STL overall & are 6-0 w/ a chance to closeout in a Game 6 since 7-gm playoff format began. I like their chances.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA

So much about the playoffs is match-up luck and skill. Last year's Kings run was a combination of both. Vancouver in round 1 missing one Sedin and a headcase of goaltending, Round 2 with a young Blues team minus Halak and Pietrangelo, Coyotes in round 3 which was the first series the Kings were favored to win (and minus Torres), and NJ in the Final with a broken Kovalchuk and a tired team in general that played several more games than the Kings. Crosby-less Penguins were out early as were the Hawks thanks to Mike Smith playing out of his mind. Skill and luck combined.

Blues will have several years to contend with the core they have. We'll see how this current Kings/Blues round 1 match-up works out when the series is done, but I doubt either the Kings or the Blues are wild about going 6-7 games in this series and being tenderized in the process. This series has the most hits by a country mile vs. other series. It's not even close. Contrast our series with San Jose/Vancouver. SJ lost their last regular season game, got a far more favorable match-up as a result with Vancouver and had a comparative cake walk through round 1. (Their round 2 match-up will be far tougher.)

I would generally recommend to both teams that they avoid each other if possible in match-ups. :) The Kings and Blues play so similarly. The Kings are hurting on D but have a healthy front-end and Quick. The Blues have an advantage with their D corps overall save for Elliott but missing a true 1-2 center punch. It balances out. Every game is basically a coin flip, which is why the series isn't over by any means. It takes 4 to win, and the 4th is the toughest.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
So much about the playoffs is match-up luck and skill. Last year's Kings run was a combination of both. Vancouver in round 1 missing one Sedin and a headcase of goaltending, Round 2 with a young Blues team minus Halak and Pietrangelo, Coyotes in round 3 which was the first series the Kings were favored to win (and minus Torres), and NJ in the Final with a broken Kovalchuk and a tired team in general that played several more games than the Kings. Crosby-less Penguins were out early as were the Hawks thanks to Mike Smith playing out of his mind. Skill and luck combined.

Blues will have several years to contend with the core they have. We'll see how this current Kings/Blues round 1 match-up works out when the series is done, but I doubt either the Kings or the Blues are wild about going 6-7 games in this series and being tenderized in the process. This series has the most hits by a country mile vs. other series. It's not even close. Contrast our series with San Jose/Vancouver. SJ lost their last regular season game, got a far more favorable match-up as a result with Vancouver and had a comparative cake walk through round 1. (Their round 2 match-up will be far tougher.)

I would generally recommend to both teams that they avoid each other if possible in match-ups. :) The Kings and Blues play so similarly. The Kings are hurting on D but have a healthy front-end and Quick. The Blues have an advantage with their D corps overall save for Elliott but missing a true 1-2 center punch. It balances out. Every game is basically a coin flip, which is why the series isn't over by any means. It takes 4 to win, and the 4th is the toughest.

Over 400 hits in five games. That's 80+ hits per game, combined. :amazed:

Next closest is Boston-Toronto, with 365...

Mr Los Angeles

May 16, 2012
Hockey gets so little respect by our local sports reporters, especially FOX11. Lead stories, 2 basketball game highlights by teams not from LA, followed by a rumor Phil Jackson been offered coaching jobs [were 5 mins into it btw] then hockey highlights. I'm surprised they remembered at all that hockey playoffs are going on.

and who could forget this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad