GDT: WCQF Game 5: Coyotes @ Avalanche | 2:30 PM | FSAZ | 8/19

member 149439

They got blown the f*** out in 4 out of 5 games and Tocchet still doesn't think it's the time to 'hammer' them. It's clear he wants to be everybody's friend because that's largely what he did in Pittsburgh. He still doesn't get that he gave that up when he became a HC. Even the timeout he called during one game was a mild chiding. "come on guys"

I haven't seen any assumption of responsibility for what has gone on. Lots of "I don't know" and deflecting to others. You're the HC, take responsibility.

I bet he and Phil had a hot dog and a coke this morning for breakfast to make sure he is a players coach....?

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You can be upset about the series but the scores for these games (I didn't get to watch them except for one period and lowlights) were reminiscent of what I think about the team. They are mentally and physically soft, led by captain Oely Diver, lack anything resembling accountability and are coached by a guy that continually admits that he doesn't have the answers in the press conferences after games. In short; they stink.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
f*** you Ekman-Larsson.

To think that a few years back attending a Coyotes’ home game and pissed right up on local adult bevvies I almost spent the big bucks on an Ekman-Larsson jersey. My wife said no. Thank you wife.

The response is the exact reason why he shouldn't be Captain and the reason why Tocchet shouldn't be coaching. He's learning from Tocchet to not take responsibility and moving the blame and the dreaded "Uhh No" response is just as bad as Tocchet's go to phrase "I don't know", "I don't know what to say".

Last edited:
Reactions: RemoAZ

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Looking back at how terrible we were against Nashville here are some stats I pulled.

Nashville
Outshot - 38 shots (4 games)
Faceoffs - won 58% more draws (15% a game!)

Avs
Outshot - 75 shots (5 games)
Faceoffs - 18% (3.5% a game)

So even though we had the puck more against Colorado, we did far less with it, which was obviously. I just didn't think we deserved to beat Nashville with how we played, but we did thanks to kuemps.

And yes I needed to use a calculator working with such huge values. Didn't bother check PP/PK because that was obvious as well.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
This is like one of those things that it's like, "I don't wanna talk about it. Let's just forget it.". But no. This has to be addressed by fans and media. If we lost the Nashville series in a relatively close manner? Would we want Tocc fired? It sucks but sometimes making the playoffs can get you fired.

Reactions: Grimes

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
If trading for players based solely on the idea that the goalie alone was the one keeping them in games, I would hope that it came with the concept that trading for that player also takes pressure off the goalie, say by scoring or influencing the offense more. Again, I think there were multiple positives floating through the early part of the season:

Our offense was generating goals. 74 goals in 28 games. I think that is about 2.6 per game.

Defense was keeping the team in games. 65 goals against in that same time frame. Bear in mind, Hjalmarsson was out until what, January? That's a good chunk of games without your most defensive defenseman on the ice.

I think that people forget that we were putting up some good showings. I don't think that the coach's intensity for pushing a) perfection within the system, and b) preparation for ways that opponents can break us down and means to counter/adapt were not as intense as the prep work that was put in by other coaches and their teams. When we had the better player added in Hall, teams knew they had to prepare for us more. Why our preparation in adding Hall didn't match what other teams were doing in their own preparation and the preparation to play us is what Tocchet needs to answer to Meruelo.

In what world is putting up 2.6 gpg a good thing?

Reactions: Surfshop

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The response is the exact reason why he shouldn't be Captain and the reason why Tocchet shouldn't be coaching. He's learning from Tocchet to not take responsibility and moving the blame and the dreaded "Uhh No" response is just as bad as Tocchet's go to phrase "I don't know", "I don't know want to say".

Derek Stepan was trying to lead Oliver to the leadership waters - if only for this presser - but that horse won't drink. He did end up saying he'd accept blame if that's what it takes.

The correct answer was "The manner in which we lost reflects poorly on everyone and isn't acceptable. We aren't happy."

Reactions: KG

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Does Keller even care about hockey? Whenever I hear him talk, or he gets asked questions about it he sounds like he's annoyed talking hockey. And not in a Kessel way either. But he got his contract so why should he care?

He looks uninterested unless he has the puck. Doesn't play both ends. Low energy. He and Garland deserve each other's contracts.

Reactions: Surfshop

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
What Vegas did, firing Gallant was shocking. But they recognized certain problem areas most people didn't want to admit. And they had a guy in their mind that would work with their roster. How sustainable will it be long term? Who knows, but they're keeping it going as long as they can.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We finished 23rd in the league at 2.71. No idea why 2.6 would be a good thing or a hightide mark. Lol
looked it up, and that's our best GF/GP since 2010-11 (2.76). Eighth best all time (in AZ).

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Hey I did some digging.

Players by salary cap hit (Avs in bold):

Rantanen - 9.25m
OEL - 8.25
Keller - 7.15 (when extension kicks in)
Kessel - 6.8
Stepan - 6.5
MacK - 6.3
Erik Johnson - 6

Schmaltz - 5.85
Landeskog - 5.571
Goligoski - 5.475
Hammer - 5
Soda - 4.75
Chychrun - 4.6
Kadri - 4.5
DVo 4.45

Overpayment after overpayment. It isn't JUST the coaching guys

The horror of Kessel, is he actuall makes 8 mill. Toronto is paying him 1.2 mill every year to not play for them.

And people say Toronto is wasting money. This must be one of the best deals around the league.

Now, if Yotes retained 50% of whats left, you think anyone would give a 7th rounder for that contract? No?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Stepan was shaking his head as soon as he heard that question like "yes, this reflects poorly on us, just agree Oliver..."

Derek is a goddamn artist at saying the right thing and then not doing the right thing on the ice. Hall of famer in that regard.
This is so f***ing true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad