GDT: WCQF Game 5: Coyotes @ Avalanche | 2:30 PM | FSAZ | 8/19

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Might have been if he had more than 22 games in 10 months or whatever it was.
Last year RT sat Strome and played Fischer, Stepan and Panik on the first PP all year. This year Fischer is on the cusp of maybe not being qualified. This year RT gives Stepan more TOI/GP of any forward not named Hall. Did not give Garland TOI he deserved until Hall arrived. This year sat Hayton for most of the year, and then play him in a must win playoff game. I could go on and on but it gets old. There are good coaches available and we are likely going to watch RT as our HC next year making the same bone headed coaching decisions over and over.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The worst part is they 've looked like this since December, and we just let it ride hoping they'd actually show up one day. F Chayka and his players.
They looked like that way before December if you watched the games closely. I know I sound like a broken record, but Kuemper and Raanta made this team look good. The first part of the year there is not as much pressure on the players so they get a little more time to make plays and with our speed we looked good and were fun to watch. After the all star break is when things start to get real and we saw what happened.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Stepan was shaking his head as soon as he heard that question like "yes, this reflects poorly on us, just agree Oliver..."

Derek is a goddamn artist at saying the right thing and then not doing the right thing on the ice. Hall of famer in that regard.
Shaking his head and smirking. Then trying to be funny by saying "thanks for coming Hammer". All this after being embarrassed. Pathetic. Stepan is our biggest problem among our so called leaders. As soon as we got him from NY he thought his s--- didn't stink, and that is when our leadership core started to go downhill. Then RT plays him like he is McDavid. His play last year and this year did not warrant him his TOI he was getting, and I believe there is some animosity among the players toward Stepan and RT because of this. I wanted Stepan gone last year and was flamed, and I will probably be flamed for these comments.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
tumblr_pfq6iijSE91u0sy2bo1_500.gifv
Tag that with nsfw please.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Shaking his head and smirking. Then trying to be funny by saying "thanks for coming Hammer". All this after being embarrassed. Pathetic. Stepan is our biggest problem among our so called leaders. As soon as we got him from NY he thought his s--- didn't stink, and that is when our leadership core started to go downhill. Then RT plays him like he is McDavid. His play last year and this year did not warrant him his TOI he was getting, and I believe there is some animosity among the players toward Stepan and RT because of this. I wanted Stepan gone last year and was flamed, and I will probably be flamed for these comments.

You won’t be flamed. Some of us were blind to it, now we see it. He’s absolutely part of the problem. We can give his TOI to Dvo or Hayton and get similar if not better results. His time has come. It’s time to go

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tocchet on his team, “...uhh but I’m not gonna uhh hammer em too bad or anything cuz uhh, you know, they chipped away at some stuff, you know, and for about a week now, we’ve uhh...already had a tough time, you know?...”

Brilliance.

Wouldn't be an acceptable answer after 1 tough loss, much less getting your ass blasted in 4 out of 5.

I don't know how the guy manages to be such an inept leader as a head coach.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Didnt get to see the game, yet again. Wasnt one of the folks rooting for "another embarrassing loss to get RT fired"...cant bring myself to stoop that low, wont EVER "root" for the team I support to lose.

So...yeah.

Absolutely gutted.

I will say, I'm glad they advanced past Nashville...but only to deprive NJ of a lottery pick in return for the ill-advised Hall trade...so I cant truthfully say it played out "worst case scenario".

Had they gone on to give 110% but bow out like Columbus did, I would have showered them in glory. As-is, I'm legitimately eyeing the upcoming off-season and the ownership's handling of the coaching staff as the straw that may finally break me.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Didnt get to see the game, yet again. Wasnt one of the folks rooting for "another embarrassing loss to get RT fired"...cant bring myself to stoop that low, wont EVER "root" for the team I support to lose.

So...yeah.

Absolutely gutted.

I will say, I'm glad they advanced past Nashville...but only to deprive NJ of a lottery pick in return for the ill-advised Hall trade...so I cant truthfully say it played out "worst case scenario".

Had they gone on to give 110% but bow out like Columbus did, I would have showered them in glory. As-is, I'm legitimately eyeing the upcoming off-season and the ownership's handling of the coaching staff as the straw that may finally break me.
On the positive side, the team has a solid owner now so you can worry only about the hockey-side of things like a normal fan rather than the economic stranglehold doing in their chances almost every year for the recent past.

Reactions: Jakey53

che

Jan 6, 2018
Gothenburg
On the positive side, the team has a solid owner now so you can worry only about the hockey-side of things like a normal fan rather than the economic stranglehold doing in their chances almost every year for the recent past.

Very true. Mr Meruelo please show us that you want to win, start by firing RT today! Because he sure as shit isn't gonna get us there.

In the words of Rob Schneider: You can do it!

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Would that that's all it takes. Growing up in Michigan, I need look no further than the Lions and the Ford family to be reminded that finances =/= sound professional sports franchise management.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
In what world is putting up 2.6 gpg a good thing?

The world where the same team is giving up only 2.3 gpg in that same timeframe. If you math, it means on average, we score more than the opposition on a per game basis. Dallas and Columbus averaged that many per game. As many have said here, if we played against Colorado the same way that Columbus played against Tampa, AZ may not win the series, but they don't get embarrassed.

Also, if you recognize that your team doesn't score quite enough, wouldn't Hall be the type of player that you would want to add to your team to improve that aspect?

I don't know if you know our history on offense, but if we go above 2.8 gpg per season, that is probably considered an extraordinary offensive display.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
We finished 23rd in the league at 2.71. No idea why 2.6 would be a good thing or a hightide mark. Lol

You have watched the team over the last 10 years, right? I would bet dollars to donuts that this is one of the higher scoring teams in the last decade. Technically, the Hall trade did what it was supposed to. The 28 games is 40% of the season, right? So, in order to get to 2.71 after scoring 2.61 in the first 40% of games, that means we would need about 2.83 gpg to get there to the end of the year, right? That puts is in the territory of the Islanders, which I would consider a good team to emulate.

Once we acquired Hall, I truly think that the deficiencies in Tocchet became more pronounced. It looked like we became passive in coaching, as if though acquiring Hall was enough, and if we fell behind, we had more power in the lineup to make that up.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
They looked like that way before December if you watched the games closely. I know I sound like a broken record, but Kuemper and Raanta made this team look good. The first part of the year there is not as much pressure on the players so they get a little more time to make plays and with our speed we looked good and were fun to watch. After the all star break is when things start to get real and we saw what happened.

That's also when good coaches know that you have to prepare your team. Tocchet was a player. He would be the first to tell you that the season really starts in January. Teams are looking to ratchet up the intensity heading into the playoff run. That we clearly have someone who should "get" that but didn't have a plan is most concerning.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I did think RT had one great point in his presser when he said he was glad we made the play in and advanced, because had we not the team would have thought they were close and now they see how far they have to go.
He was exactly correct. Now it's time for ownership to show their commitment and show they were not happy with the leadership and make a statement if that is possible in this plandemic times. RT and his staff should be fired today, but will not.

Reactions: moosemeister

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
You have watched the team over the last 10 years, right? I would bet dollars to donuts that this is one of the higher scoring teams in the last decade. Technically, the Hall trade did what it was supposed to. The 28 games is 40% of the season, right? So, in order to get to 2.71 after scoring 2.61 in the first 40% of games, that means we would need about 2.83 gpg to get there to the end of the year, right? That puts is in the territory of the Islanders, which I would consider a good team to emulate.

Once we acquired Hall, I truly think that the deficiencies in Tocchet became more pronounced. It looked like we became passive in coaching, as if though acquiring Hall was enough, and if we fell behind, we had more power in the lineup to make that up.

The Islanders were 22nd in the league in GPG, one spot ahead of Arizona.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The Islanders were 22nd in the league in GPG, one spot ahead of Arizona.

Good, you are understanding the context.

Just because you don't score the average amount of goals for does not necessarily make you a bad team. If you are offensively inept, but defensively stout, like the Islanders or Stars, that makes you a difficult team to play against, regardless.

If I am looking at GF or GA, the item I really care about is whether or not GF vs GA is positive or negative. If positive, like AZ were 9 goals better through the first 28 games, I consider that to be a primarily good thing, unless we are losing a bunch of 1 goal games, and following with a 6-0 win. AZ finished the year with 8 more goals than against. If we had stayed on the pace, and finished with 24 more goals for than against, that probably equates to about 4-9 more points. That puts us squarely in the WC position.

Last edited:

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
If you are offensively inept, but defensively stout, like the Islanders or Stars, that makes you a difficult team to play against, regardless.

Being hard on the puck / grindy / physical makes you difficult to play against...? Being defensively stout means you intimidate by blocking shots. Can't imagine the Avs thought we were a difficult team to play against (other than Kuemper in games 1-3)

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Being hard on the puck / grindy / physical makes you difficult to play against...? Being defensively stout means you intimidate by blocking shots. Can't imagine the Avs thought we were a difficult team to play against (other than Kuemper in games 1-3)

And, as I said - adding Hall solved the potential offensive woes. We have a good defense, but it became clear that our defense was not coached to inprove as the season goes on and prepare for other opponents. The defense falling apart was the slow spiral to the season.

Reactions: cobra427

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad