GDT: WCQF - Game #2 Avs host Preds @ 7:30 p.m. MT | on TNT, SN360, SNE, TVAS, ALT, BSSO

Bront

Jun 5, 2021
Benching Burakovsky would be a huge mistake. His shot selection and ability to hit the net are indeed pretty atrocious but he is a noticeable player everytime he is on the ice. He has the skating size and speed to put defense on their heels in the zone, espcially when matched up against the opposing 3rd and 4th lines. He will be a major asset when we are deeper in the playoffs and depth becomes a premium.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You don’t think Girard helps Manson? I know Manson would disagree with that. He’s not the most natural puck mover. That’s what partners do, they help each other out. Watch them on puck retrievals, they’re working in unison.

I don’t really get your point. Girard was +9/-2 in 4:37 against Forsberg. He’s not on the Avs first pairing, yet you want to hold it against him that he’s not being used in that matchup. His numbers were better than any other Avs defenseman last night, regardless of who he was and wasn’t matched up against.
Not holding it against that he isn't going against Forsberg/Duchene. Just pointing out that he is getting favorable matchups.

As for Manson, he has been the guy carrying the pair as of right now, I'm sure G is helping him to an extent. But Manson is helping G more than G is helping Manson.

In Nashville he'll have to matchup against those top guys more and we'll see what happens. He does well with less favorable matchups I'll lay off him. Pretty simple, it's prove it to me. Right now I don't trust G, his play this year as a whole as been rough. Play well in the playoffs against unfavorable matchups on the road and I'll lay off him.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Rantanen was great in game one. Not so much last night.

Burky has been battling defensively and deserves credit for that. He had plenty of good looks in game one. If anyone comes out it should be NAK. He was a nightmare along the boards defensively with multiple turnovers in the defensive zone.

Not holding it against that he isn't going against Forsberg/Duchene. Just pointing out that he is getting favorable matchups.

As for Manson, he has been the guy carrying the pair as of right now, I'm sure G is helping him to an extent. But Manson is helping G more than G is helping Manson.

In Nashville he'll have to matchup against those top guys more and we'll see what happens. He does well with less favorable matchups I'll lay off him. Pretty simple, it's prove it to me. Right now I don't trust G, his play this year as a whole as been rough. Play well in the playoffs against unfavorable matchups on the road and I'll lay off him.
What is a favorable matchup, though? He’s a second pair defenseman on this team. He’s getting second pair matchups. That’s his job.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Mikko is doing Mikko things. Pretty invisible in this 2 games yet he's still over PPG with 3 assists in 2 games
My frustration from Mikko is that I know he can do more, we've seen him be an absolute monster in corners, we've seen him beat out a backchecker to the puck. Right now, he's either coasting, injured, or just not into the game. We are seeing MacKinnon and Makar dictate the game, and we all know that Rantanen definitely has that ability as well.

Bront

Jun 5, 2021
You don’t think Girard helps Manson? I know Manson would disagree with that. He’s not the most natural puck mover. That’s what partners do, they help each other out. Watch them on puck retrievals, they’re working in unison.

I don’t really get your point. Girard was +9/-2 in 4:37 against Forsberg. He’s not on the Avs first pairing, yet you want to hold it against him that he’s not being used in that matchup. His numbers were better than any other Avs defenseman last night, regardless of who he was and wasn’t matched up against.
Mansons ability to move the puck in tight quarters in the D zone is maybe his best attribute.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It often feels like the board will ignore what Burakovsky does whenever he doesn't have the puck and hone in on his shot selection.

He has been backchecking like crazy the last couple of months, and while most want to call him soft he's one of the best players on the team at taking hits to make plays.

Go watch Johnny Gaudreau in the playoffs and compare him to Burakovsky. Bura never, ever hesitates to go into a corner and absorb contact if it means he's going to make a play.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

G just looks like he's either still hampered by injury, or thinking way too much and afraid to make a mistake. He's never had the same level of vision as a Makar or Toews, but he was way more assertive with his puck decisions in the past. I'm not exaggerating when I say 90% of his puck possessions were just skating straight up the left side wall, getting stuck, and then retreating. It's not like he was terrible, but he just seems so stiff and hesitant out there right now, like he's terrified of making a mistake and has tunnel vision as a result.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
It often feels like the board will ignore what Burakovsky does whenever he doesn't have the puck and hone in on his shot selection.

He has been backchecking like crazy the last couple of months, and while most want to call him soft he's one of the best players on the team at taking hits to make plays.

Go watch Johnny Gaudreau in the playoffs and compare him to Burakovsky. Bura never, ever hesitates to go into a corner and absorb contact if it means he's going to make a play.
I actually highlighted that I liked Bura's effort away from the puck. He's really engaged and playing physical right now, and attacking defensively. It almost feels like he needs to recalibrate himself offensively, simplify and have a similar attacking style. Just quick shots on net and drive the defense back. He's got all the tools for it, but it seems the second that puck hits his stick his brain goes into a loading screen.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Can't say I read every post on this thread but I'm going to give a shout out to Bednar for bench management. Putting the 4th line out in the OT at the right time was gutsy and rewarding. Cale's goal comes down to having some high intensity forechecking happening as a result of fresh legs.

When was the last time you saw the 1st and 2nd lines have to leave the bench to congratulate the game winning line/D that was on the ice?

Shades of Stephane Yelle and Shjon Podein.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Rantanen was great in game one. Not so much last night.

Burky has been battling defensively and deserves credit for that. He had plenty of good looks in game one. If anyone comes out it should be NAK. He was a nightmare along the boards defensively with multiple turnovers in the defensive zone.

What is a favorable matchup, though? He’s a second pair defenseman on this team. He’s getting second pair matchups. That’s his job.
Right but at home you can tactically deploy your 2nd pairing and 3rd pairing, so they don't draw in as much against Nashville's top guys. But on the road Hynes will be able to get Forsberg/Duchene more looks at G/Manson and EJ/Byram and those guys all need to step up to the challenge.

We'll see how it goes. I think they can easily handle it but they will have a much harder task on the road.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
My frustration from Mikko is that I know he can do more, we've seen him be an absolute monster in corners, we've seen him beat out a backchecker to the puck. Right now, he's either coasting, injured, or just not into the game. We are seeing MacKinnon and Makar dictate the game, and we all know that Rantanen definitely has that ability as well.
Mikko is hurting, not well or both.

And it's only round #1.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
G just looks like he's either still hampered by injury, or thinking way too much and afraid to make a mistake. He's never had the same level of vision as a Makar or Toews, but he was way more assertive with his puck decisions in the past. I'm not exaggerating when I say 90% of his puck possessions were just skating straight up the left side wall, getting stuck, and then retreating. It's not like he was terrible, but he just seems so stiff and hesitant out there right now, like he's terrified of making a mistake and has tunnel vision as a result.
Agree fully, he is playing like a stiff one trick robot instead of just playing the game. Not sure what's going on with him, but my guess is it's mental. That Vegas series f***ed him up, not sure he recovered from that one. He is going to have to get out of his own head and just start playing his game.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Nashville mustered up only 3 shots on goal in Girard’s nearly 18 minutes of even strength ice time. The decision on the goal stunk because it was a great read, but you have to make the play if you go down to your knee. That being said, Nashville literally did nothing with G on the ice last night beyond that. I don’t know what more you want from him defensively. He took hits but kept going and moving the puck forward. I think he can improve in the offensive zone, if anything, but in his own zone, he was fine.
The G hate here is weird. Like the weirdest I’ve ever seen. He’s been fine since he came back from injury. Not the best he’s ever played, but you’d think he should be in the ECHL if you read about him here.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I actually highlighted that I liked Bura's effort away from the puck. He's really engaged and playing physical right now, and attacking defensively. It almost feels like he needs to recalibrate himself offensively, simplify and have a similar attacking style. Just quick shots on net and drive the defense back. He's got all the tools for it, but it seems the second that puck hits his stick his brain goes into a loading screen.
He laid a solid hit in game 1 against Carrer or some random Nashville jobber.

And his effort level has been there. The problem is even when his effort level is high he's prone to some bad decisions with the puck.

Once something goes in for him he'll go on a roll.

Same thing with Kadri really.

Go19

Jun 21, 2019
Benching Burakovsky would be a huge mistake. His shot selection and ability to hit the net are indeed pretty atrocious but he is a noticeable player everytime he is on the ice. He has the skating size and speed to put defense on their heels in the zone, espcially when matched up against the opposing 3rd and 4th lines. He will be a major asset when we are deeper in the playoffs and depth becomes a premium.
It's the turnovers at the blueline that will kill us - almost happened last night in OT but we recovered.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Bura does dumb stuff but I thought he competed hard last night. Yes he is frustrating but he's putting in the work you want to see.

Ya his effort is great. Totally want to step it up in the playoffs but he just can't seem to simplify his game and be safer when it's needed.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The G hate here is weird. Like the weirdest I’ve ever seen. He’s been fine since he came back from injury. Not the best he’s ever played, but you’d think he should be in the ECHL if you read about him here.

Yeah it's very strange.

He was great last night outside of his one mistake. And that one mistake, he made the right read and play, just missed the execution and unfortunately he put himself in a spot where he couldn't fail the execution.

And people are shitting on him for his PP2 work, but watch that PP closely and you'll see he's the only guy on that unit actually moving his feet. Every time he gets the puck he walks all the way from the top of the blue line down to the goal line looking for a passing lane and yet nobody else on the ice is moving or trying to get open for a pass. It's the same issue with PP1 sometimes.

That's probably one area where we are missing Newhook the most. He does a really good job in that bumper psition of moving around and following Girard as he walks down the board to try and create a passing lane into the bumper. Everybody else just stands in one spot.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Defensive TOI last night:

Cale Makar --> 31:06
Devon Toews --> 29:57
Samuel Girard --> 21:13
Josh Manson --> 19:23
Erik Johnson --> 15:08
Bo Byram --> 14:35

I just get worried that Cale is going to run out of gas. I remember watching last year vs Vegas and thinking he didn't have anything left in the tank. The guy was 2nd in PK TOI last night only a few seconds behind Toews.

He's phenomenal, and I want him on the ice as much as possible but that's a huge discrepancy from Makar down to Byram. Bo has looked decent, still looks a little weak in the corners for sure but I don't think it'd hurt the Avs to bump his minutes up a tad bit. You can keep EJ in that ~16 minute range and I think Girard/Manson are fine where they are, but I think Bo can definitely play a tad bit more.

You could see it near the end of the 3rd last night Byram was feeling it, jumping into the play, leading the rush, racing back to the point for the one-timer from Girard. I don't want him at 25+ minutes but I think 17-18 is something he can handle.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain

I just get worried that Cale is going to run out of gas. I remember watching last year vs Vegas and thinking he didn't have anything left in the tank. The guy was 2nd in PK TOI last night only a few seconds behind Toews.

He's phenomenal, and I want him on the ice as much as possible but that's a huge discrepancy from Makar down to Byram. Bo has looked decent, still looks a little weak in the corners for sure but I don't think it'd hurt the Avs to bump his minutes up a tad bit. You can keep EJ in that ~16 minute range and I think Girard/Manson are fine where they are, but I think Bo can definitely play a tad bit more.

You could see it near the end of the 3rd last night Byram was feeling it, jumping into the play, leading the rush, racing back to the point for the one-timer from Girard. I don't want him at 25+ minutes but I think 17-18 is something he can handle.

If Makar is feeling it the way he obviously was last night those minutes make sense. Luckily his minutes were way lower in game 1 and I expect they will be lower going forward unless Ingram somehow plays the same way again.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Manson with Girard brings out the Manson I was hoping for when we made the trade. The first two games that pairing has been pretty solid.
Manson has looked tremendous these first 2 games. He probably needed to play against a team like Nashville to get his confidence back because he was very down on himself to end the regular season, especially in the game against the Oilers we lost 6-3.

It also helps that the Preds play the exact style Manson loves to play.

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021

Cale and the guys can rest after they sweep the Preds.

They’ll have a week off to rest while the West goes to 6/7 games.

The Avs have always came out flying after a few days of rest. (Im thinking the Allstar break and the beginning of the playoffs. I think after the Covid break too, but I can’t remember)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad