GDT: WCQF - Game #2 Avs host Preds @ 7:30 p.m. MT | on TNT, SN360, SNE, TVAS, ALT, BSSO

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Except it's not just one "small" mistake, that goal changed the momentum of the game. Girard just doesn't have much to offer. His supporters will hype up his ability to move the puck out of the zone even though a key part of that is actually winning puck battles which he doesn't do, even his puck retrieval isn't too good cause his straight line speed is rather lacking for a smaller defensemen that relies on his skating and he has a tendency to giveaway the puck if somebody breathes on him. If he was talented like Rantanen then sure I can see why he'd have staunch defenders of his game and why we should overlook these things but simply put he's not, at this point I don't think he's even as talented as Kerfoot.

Every other player takes their licking on these boards when the play bad but Girard always gets a ton excuses by his supporters who actually push this herd mentality your speaking by deflecting criticism towards other players like Nemeth and Graves. Girard can make one competent play and suddenly his supporters will praise him by saying shit like he was our best player tonight, meanwhile Mackinnon will make a dozen good plays casually and get a couple of points and still get flak for a bad OT decision or some minor shit like that.
But you're probably in the camp that wants to trade Girard for a 2C?

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Except it's not just one "small" mistake, that goal changed the momentum of the game. Girard just doesn't have much to offer. His supporters will hype up his ability to move the puck out of the zone even though a key part of that is actually winning puck battles which he doesn't do, even his puck retrieval isn't too good cause his straight line speed is rather lacking for a smaller defensemen that relies on his skating and he has a tendency to giveaway the puck if somebody breathes on him. If he was talented like Rantanen then sure I can see why he'd have staunch defenders of his game and why we should overlook these things but simply put he's not, at this point I don't think he's even as talented as Kerfoot.

Every other player takes their licking on these boards when the play bad but Girard always gets a ton excuses by his supporters who actually push this herd mentality your speaking by deflecting criticism towards other players like Nemeth and Graves. Girard can make one competent play and suddenly his supporters will praise him by saying shit like he was our best player tonight, meanwhile Mackinnon will make a dozen good plays casually and get a couple of points and still get flak for a bad OT decision or some minor shit like that.
Ok, boomer.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Girard’s been perfectly fine Imo. Much better than he was in the Vegas series.

For whatever reason he’s kind of lost his offensive flair in the O-zone, but his puck movement is still very good. Defensively he’s had a couple blunders, but shit happens when you play 20+ minutes a night. The expectation shouldn’t be flawless hockey from defenceman. Every single one of them gives stuff up every now and then. It’s just the nature of the position.

I actually haven’t had an issue with any of the Avs defenceman so far. I think they’ve all played well. Game two was a fantastic defensive performance.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

For whatever reason he’s kind of lost his offensive flair in the O-zone, but his puck movement is still very good. Defensively he’s had a couple blunders, but shit happens when you play 20+ minutes a night. The expectation shouldn’t be flawless hockey from defenceman. Every single one of them gives stuff up every now and then. It’s just the nature of the position.

I actually haven’t had an issue with any of the Avs defenceman so far. I think they’ve all played well. Game two was a fantastic defensive performance.
He needs more sword fighting gestures. He needs to swashbuckle his way back into flair.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019

There isn’t a single player we can rationally say has been bad imo. Haven’t played to expectations for sure, but not bad.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I don't think we can fully judge anyone until games start getting tighter. Both games have been absolutely dominant performances and the whole team get kudos for that, but it'll be when games get tighter we'll see how certain players handle it. Girard played decently against St. Louis but crumbled against Vegas.

Reactions: Jazzguitar

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Girard has been fine. He's clearly being targeted because he is small and I think he's coped pretty well so far, he's done his job. The narrative before the playoffs was that he would be destroyed under the pressure, but he really hasn't. He's been coping alright. Is he playing the best? No, not really, but given the circumstances of facing the most physical team in the league I think he's doing just fine.

I think Girard played fairly well in Game 1, and was ok in Game 2 outside a few mistakes, but some of those mistakes like missing the puck in the neutral zone that led to the goal, were pretty consequential. And that goal wasn't a bad bounce, he had his whole body there, he just didn't stop the puck.

This is the issue with his game sometimes. People overlook a lot of his mistakes because they don't end up in goals. But they could have. And they will in the playoffs. Because teams are hungrier to score and win, and because the physicality ramps up so much, his limitations become a problem more often.

Girard is a very good defenseman and he's played ok I think in these playoffs. Better than against Vegas at least. But the concern for me is we've already seen him make some costly mistakes, and this is against a team the Avs have dominated in both games so far.

It's not the pure physical team that's a problem for Girard. It's a team that's physical and fast. When they have the speed to get at him quickly on the dump ins, and steal the puck from him on his breakouts.

When they run into a physical team that can skate with the Avs, that will be the big test. So far Nashville hasn't given them much problem with their physicality, the same way the Blues didn't, becuase they couldn't skate with the Avs. But a team like Vegas could. So the real test for G is probably in another series. Hopefully he can pass it well enough not to be a big issue.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Girard may not be a liability out there like he was in previous playoffs, but he also looked fine in round 1 of the last few playoffs as well, it's easy to harp on the negative after a loss and it's easy to blend in after a win.

Girard can move the puck but it's noticeably less efficient and slower than Makar, Byram, or Toews the latter of which absolutely needs to be retained at all costs. Girard is a negative threat from the point, he gets pp2 ice time yet i think 80% of this board could legitimately shoot the puck harder than he does, his shots are consistently blocked and he is easily defended because he's known as a pass first/always option.

Girard is not as bad as we make him out to be some games, his value has diminished a fair amount comparatively to right after he signed his at the time, a steal of a contract. He still has value and could absolutely be a trade chip for a high end 2nd line center when Kadri most likely walks.

There is a surplus of puck moving defenseman on this team, ones that do the job better than Girard and are infinitely better defensively. Assuming Byram stays healthy he belongs in Girards spot on the 2nd pp unit, and freeing up that defenseman spot for a big body is nothing but beneficial for the Avs deep runs.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Girard is still a very good defenseman, and our best option at 2 LHD at the moment. Unless he's making those mistakes more frequently or those mistakes are costing them games I see no reason to change anything.

But to be honest, I'm more worried about him getting injured than I am him actually costing the Avs games. We're only two games in a G has taken a beating so far.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think the players I want to see more from are Rants and Kadri. Neither have been a factor in the series so far.
Rantanen is saving himself for the playoffs. Hes just bored right now. Soon magical playoff switch for him, Kadri and Bura will turn on.

Girard is still a very good defenseman, and our best option at 2 LHD at the moment. Unless he's making those mistakes more frequently or those mistakes are costing them games I see no reason to change anything.

But to be honest, I'm more worried about him getting injured than I am him actually costing the Avs games. We're only two games in a G has taken a beating so far.
Alot of folks would be happy about that.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
For this team that is true. Nobody cares about this round. They should be winning round 1. Its round 2 thats the issue. Maybe Mikko sees it that way. Save himself for round 2 and let Mackinnon and Cale do all the work.
If we face Dallas next round it will be an easy way to SCF.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
By the way… how badly did that TNT announcer butcher the overtime call?

First he says Toews scores the game winner, then bumbles along with the correction, then later goes onto say Makar scored his 1st playoff goal. :laugh:

f***ing Randy Hahn. Was brutal having to listen to him in some of those Sharks series back in the day.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
As dominant of a 2-1 win as you'll see. That game was all Avs and the Preds have no answer for MacKinnon and Makar other than Ingram standing on his head.

I love how everyone knows exactly what their role is and that allows all lines to be successful. NAK is really the only player whose game I didn't like last night. Others made mistakes like every player does throughout the game but also plenty of good plays to make up for it.

Reactions: dahrougem2

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
By the way… how badly did that TNT announcer butcher the overtime call?

First he says Toews scores the game winner, then bumbles along with the correction, then later goes onto say Makar scored his 1st playoff goal. :laugh:

Yeah, that was bad enough on it's own. Then you add in his mic cutting out and it became terrible.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
f***ing Randy Hahn. Was brutal having to listen to him in some of those Sharks series back in the day.
Holy he is so bad. Whenever he's calling games for the Sharks he is fantastic because he knows the team and has legitimate emotion but anyone else and he's god awful.

Ruined such a simple OT call last night. He didn't know who had the puck (Sturm) and then called Makar "Toews" twice before fumbling over his own words and awkwardly yelling "MAKAR."

He's doing the exact same tonight btw during the Oilers/Kings game. Just horrendous.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Holy he is so bad. Whenever he's calling games for the Sharks he is fantastic because he knows the team and has legitimate emotion but anyone else and he's god awful.

Ruined such a simple OT call last night. He didn't know who had the puck (Sturm) and then called Makar "Toews" twice before fumbling over his own words and awkwardly yelling "MAKAR."

He's doing the exact same tonight btw during the Oilers/Kings game. Just horrendous.
And he called Duncan Keith, Duncan Queef tonight...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00