GDT: WCQF - Game #2 Avs host Preds @ 7:30 p.m. MT | on TNT, SN360, SNE, TVAS, ALT, BSSO

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yup I was one of Mansons bigger critics during the regular season I think but very happy to say his first 2 games in the playoffs have been complete night and day difference.

I also think its very accurate that he and Girard as a pairing are starting to play off each other and understand each others game quite a bit better. IMO part of Mansons problem in the regular season was that he felt obligated to do more with the puck because of the way the Avs use our Dmen to lead rushes and breakouts, and jump into plays as much as we do. That's just not his game at all and I think him trying to play into that was causing mistakes and turnovers and bad reads on his part.

But you can see in the playoffs he's not doing that. For breakouts and transitions he is deferring to Girard way more frequently and allowing Girard to do what he does best, while creating that extra step of space for Girard as well. And on the flip side, Manson is at his best along the boards and in those board battles and him winning those battles means Girard isn't having to get involved in them as much either which bodes well for him given his size. That pairing is starting to develop some solid chemistry which bodes well for us going forward.

I also agree that Byram is starting to look more comfortable with the physicality of the playoffs as well. I think he and EJ could both be playing a few more minutes then they did in game 2. Mind you I think some of why Bo's minutes were lower was because he isn't playing the PP or the PK right now, he's the only guy on that Defensive unit that's playing strictly 5 on 5.

I actually think it'd be a decent idea to move Toews off of PP-2 and give Byram those minutes. That would keep Toews a little bit fresher and I think Byram will be more mobile then Toews on that unit.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
We'll that's about a dominant 2-1 game that you'll ever see.

Without a horseshoe shoved up Ingram's ass that could have result been a carbon copy of the other nights 7-2 whipping or worse. Nashville really can't expect to rely on that kind of goaltending moving forward. It just not realistic.

That was very much a game we would have lost years previously. But we stayed mentally focused, never made the big mistake, and never let up. Games like that can be frustrating but we found a way to win and that's all that matters.
Grubauer would not have made that pad save on Carrier and the Avs would have lost.

Soooo do we take Burakovsky out of the lineup? I get that he has an X factor when he’s on, but my god he is making terrible offensive decisions. The shot in OT gave me flashbacks to Ryan Graves last season. We have Newhook and Cogliano in the wings and I thought LOC was better than Bura.
Hell no. Burakovsky isn't perfect but he's working his butt off on the 3rd line and he's also using his speed to skate the puck out of the defensive zone at the very least. He's backchecking and playing his guts out. Sure, he'll make the odd mistake and so will a bunch of different players but the leash with guys like Burakovsky and Girard is short with some fans on here - basically whenever they make a bad play it gets amplified to the point where nothing else they do correctly matters.

Hynes held the Duchene line out for a shift in OT to then match them against our 3rd line of Burakovsky-Compher-NAK and it worked as they got a good shift with a prime scoring opportunity just before the Makar goal on the next shift. Gotta think he'll try to do that again on home ice so ideally Bednar tries to mitigate that by balancing lines a bit, something like this:

Landeskog -- Mackinnon -- Rantanen
Nichuskin ------ Kadri ----- Burakovsky
Lehkonen ------ Sturm ---- Compher
Cogliano ------- Helm ----- O'Connor

That would be a good way to mitigate Nashville having the last change, as the 3rd line would be MUCH improved defensively. If Hynes wants to target the 3rd line they could very well get shut down by Lehkonen and Sturm and thereby leave our top 2 lines to feast on their middle 6 with both lines carrying offensive threat.
Absolutely this. That's what I'd do as well.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Grubauer would not have made that pad save on Carrier and the Avs would have lost.

Hell no. Burakovsky isn't perfect but he's working his butt off on the 3rd line and he's also using his speed to skate the puck out of the defensive zone at the very least. He's backchecking and playing his guts out. Sure, he'll make the odd mistake and so will a bunch of different players but the leash with guys like Burakovsky and Girard is short with some fans on here - basically whenever they make a bad play it gets amplified to the point where nothing else they do correctly matters.

Absolutely this. That's what I'd do as well.
If Cogs isn't good to go I'd like to see Newhook get a chance too. Also Byram needs to be given more minutes. He looked as good as he has since being back, starting to regain his early season form - which is bad news for opponents

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If Cogs isn't good to go I'd like to see Newhook get a chance too. Also Byram needs to be given more minutes. He looked as good as he has since being back, starting to regain his early season form - which is bad news for opponents
I’m ok with Byram’s usage. He looks more confident and could easily handle more minutes, but he still hasn’t played a lot of hockey this year.

Much rather he play 3rd pairing minutes, make it out of the postseason healthy and give him a full off-season to train and prepare for a bigger role next season.

Reactions: jabubenice

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

I'll never forgive Kadri for not elevating the puck on that golden chance Byram dropped on him :laugh:

I actually like what the coaching staff is doing with Byram. He's 20 years old with only 61 NHL games under his belt. Seems to me that they're letting him absorb playoff minutes while mostly sheltering him. I'm fine with this treatment throughout this years playoffs assuming everyone is healthy.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I don't mind limiting Byram's minutes at even strength, I do think they should give him some PP time though.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I’ve been critical of both many times but G and Bura have both played well.

Bura has been out there backchecking, hitting, blocking shots, engaging in the corners and making some entries. The complaint I’ve had with him at other times is that when he’s not streaking he’s useless but that hasn’t been the case thus far. And if we go deep, it’s pretty good money that at some point he’ll score some big goals.

G I always like except when he’s getting clowned in front of the net and in the corners like in Vegas last season. We’ll see how he does with the playoff attrition but so far he and Manson are balancing out their flaws well. I’ll never forget that G’s arrival is what totally changed our identity. I also think the team missed him a lot 5v5 when he was out earlier this season

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Bednar is once again out thinking himself with his playoff lines.

Kadri + Landeskog does not work and has never worked. We know who Burakovsky is, and we know he won't play well with Aube-Kubel and Compher. Kadri had a career season centering Burakovsky and Nichushkin; that trio needs to be re-united.

Every post-season, without fail, Bednar breaks up the top line to try to spread the scoring, and it never works. Just take a look at this:

Regular SeasonPost-Season
2019Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Kerfoot-Compher-Wilson
Nieto-Soderberg-Calvert
Bourque-Jost-Andrighetto/Brassard
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Kerfoot
Wilson-Soderberg-Rantanen
Nieto-Compher-Calvert
Bourque-Jost-Brassard
2020Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Burakovsky-Kadri-Nichushkin
Namestikov-Compher-Donskoi
Nieto-Bellemare-Calvert
Namestikov-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Kadri-Nichushkin
Burakovsky-Compher-Donskoi
Nieto-Bellemare-Calvert
2021Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Saad-Kadri-Burakovsky
Nichushkin-Jost-Donskoi
O'Connor-Bellemare-Compher
Saad-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Compher-Nichushkin
Burakovsky-Jost-O'Connor
Newhook-Bellemare-Donskoi

This is the fourth year in a row Bednar's broken up the best line in hockey in the post-season. They re-united at the end of Game 2, so maybe there's hope.
I know we've been winning so far but I would love to get the top line and the Nuke-Kadri-Bura lines back together well it will probably happen if we're in trouble in game 3-4. Also would love to have Newhook over NAK. I know the latter has been more physical but boy I'm legit scared when I see Bura-Compher-NAK in their own zone it sometimes looks like the puck will never get out. I've noticed that NAK keeps the puck too long in his own end which creates more turnovers. I think having fast skilled guy like Newhook would allow more space for Burakovsky who can't find lanes to shoot right now. As I said previously Compher has been very good so far and this is coming from someone that kept shi***** on him through the season :laugh:

Reactions: kchan9 and shadow1

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
This is why I have a problem with advanced stats, you look at that and you think G was a force. For the most part what he did was skate up the left side boards, run out of room and then get rid of the puck to whoever is close. I think he’s still hampered by something, even when he does his spin it seems like an absolute chore. He’s displaying some tunnel vision out there.
I actually agree about advanced stats, but damnit I saw an opportunity to use a meme and I damn well took it.

Also I think G is getting waaaay too much hate around here.

Reactions: drhiii
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I actually agree about advanced stats, but damnit I saw an opportunity to use a meme and I damn well took it.

Also I think G is getting waaaay too much hate around here.
He's not playing bad, and he's not putting the Avs in bad positions (aside from the goal against last night). It's similar to Rantanen, most of my issues with both of them is that I've seen them both do more and we need that as the playoffs go on.

Reactions: sethro109

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
He's not playing bad, and he's not putting the Avs in bad positions (aside from the goal against last night). It's similar to Rantanen, most of my issues with both of them is that I've seen them both do more and we need that as the playoffs go on.

There's a good chance not everyone is going to be firing all at the same time though. Gotta be happy we have the depth to overcome some struggling while the rest thrive.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
It wasn't a fluky play, it was a simple play, that Girard turned into an adventure by making a boneheaded decision. If this had been Graves or Cole or someone like that making that play we'd be all over them for it.

Girard is being propped up by Manson who is playing very solid hockey.

Not to mention the fact that through 2 games the Avs are dominating play, so realistically it's tough for anyone to look truly bad.

But I'd say G and Rantanen have easily been the two worst players compared to expectations.
A boneheaded decision would have been to pinch in a situaton where youwill clearly not be there on time. G pinched in a situation where he was totally on time. He just missed to intercept. It was poorly executed but the decision was not boneheaded. I'll conceive that it was a tad agressive but we see that kind of pass interception very often and its fine... as long as you don't miss...

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
Lauraskee's love for Cole seem rational with how hard Girard is being defended around here. Can you imagine if Zadorov or Burakovsky were to perform like that, well no need to imagine just look back at some of the threads to see all the vitriol directed at them and that's with Burakovsky having a better season than Girard's ever had. I've even seen some pushing Byram to be traded so he doesn't threaten Girard's position on the team :laugh:. But seriously replace Girard with Byram on pp2 already.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'll never forgive Kadri for not elevating the puck on that golden chance Byram dropped on him :laugh:

I actually like what the coaching staff is doing with Byram. He's 20 years old with only 61 NHL games under his belt. Seems to me that they're letting him absorb playoff minutes while mostly sheltering him. I'm fine with this treatment throughout this years playoffs assuming everyone is healthy.

At some stage, as is the custom with this team, someone on the blueline will miss some games in the playoffs, at which point Byram will get more minutes. Just gotta keep him ticking along with 15 minutes a night until then (though I'd rather he get PP2 time as well as he's more dynamic that Toews and/or Girard).

Reactions: Avsfan1921

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
There's a good chance not everyone is going to be firing all at the same time though. Gotta be happy we have the depth to overcome some struggling while the rest thrive.
That’s my hope as well. If Mac and Makar slow, hopefully Rantanen and Bura can help offset on the offensive side of things.
Every player can’t be amazing every night but as long as no one’s costing them and they find a way, that’s all that matters to n the end.
Lauraskee's love for Cole seem rational with how hard Girard is being defended around here. Can you imagine if Zadorov or Burakovsky were to perform like that, well no need to imagine just look back at some of the threads to see all the vitriol directed at them and that's with Burakovsky having a better season than Girard's ever had. I've even seen some pushing Byram to be traded so he doesn't threaten Girard's position on the team :laugh:. But seriously replace Girard with Byram on pp2 already.
Byram does need pp2 time, and offensively, Girard has been bad. But to say he’s been poor defensively is just wrong and certain posters trying to push a narrative. He’s taken the assignments given him and dealt with the physicality just fine. We can put a microscope on each shift and find a gaffe here and there, but guess what? Same for Makar, Toews and every other player on this roster.

There’s a serious herd mentality on this forum that when one person points to a bad play, everyone jumps on the bandwagon. It makes it hard to take seriously when a small mistake gets blown up over 5 pages even though a player has played fine overall. Why don’t we wait to freak out when it’s something relevant?

Yes, Girard deserves criticism for his attempted block las night, and he got it too. But every time he gets touched people freak out even though he fights through it and doesn’t cough it up. If he misses a pass, people freak out that he’s a hockey Pejorative Slur. If his shot gets blocked, people lose it…. These plays happen just as much to most players on this team without the drama and freak out.

That’s why people “defend” Girard, and would for any other player that get as unfairly scrutinized as he does. There may yet be games this playoffs where he deserves it, but that hasn’t happened yet in the slightest.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
Except it's not just one "small" mistake, that goal changed the momentum of the game. Girard just doesn't have much to offer. His supporters will hype up his ability to move the puck out of the zone even though a key part of that is actually winning puck battles which he doesn't do, even his puck retrieval isn't too good cause his straight line speed is rather lacking for a smaller defensemen that relies on his skating and he has a tendency to giveaway the puck if somebody breathes on him. If he was talented like Rantanen then sure I can see why he'd have staunch defenders of his game and why we should overlook these things but simply put he's not, at this point I don't think he's even as talented as Kerfoot.

Every other player takes their licking on these boards when the play bad but Girard always gets a ton excuses by his supporters who actually push this herd mentality your speaking by deflecting criticism towards other players like Nemeth and Graves. Girard can make one competent play and suddenly his supporters will praise him by saying shit like he was our best player tonight, meanwhile Mackinnon will make a dozen good plays casually and get a couple of points and still get flak for a bad OT decision or some minor shit like that.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
That’s my hope as well. If Mac and Makar slow, hopefully Rantanen and Bura can help offset on the offensive side of things.
Every player can’t be amazing every night but as long as no one’s costing them and they find a way, that’s all that matters to n the end.

Byram does need pp2 time, and offensively, Girard has been bad. But to say he’s been poor defensively is just wrong and certain posters trying to push a narrative. He’s taken the assignments given him and dealt with the physicality just fine. We can put a microscope on each shift and find a gaffe here and there, but guess what? Same for Makar, Toews and every other player on this roster.

There’s a serious herd mentality on this forum that when one person points to a bad play, everyone jumps on the bandwagon. It makes it hard to take seriously when a small mistake gets blown up over 5 pages even though a player has played fine overall. Why don’t we wait to freak out when it’s something relevant?

Yes, Girard deserves criticism for his attempted block las night, and he got it too. But every time he gets touched people freak out even though he fights through it and doesn’t cough it up. If he misses a pass, people freak out that he’s a hockey Pejorative Slur. If his shot gets blocked, people lose it…. These plays happen just as much to most players on this team without the drama and freak out.

That’s why people “defend” Girard, and would for any other player that get as unfairly scrutinized as he does. There may yet be games this playoffs where he deserves it, but that hasn’t happened yet in the slightest.
But G’s a f***ing hockey midget with a waffle shot and a piss missile clapper. His fancy spins ain’t fooling no one

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Except it's not just one "small" mistake, that goal changed the momentum of the game. Girard just doesn't have much to offer. His supporters will hype up his ability to move the puck out of the zone even though a key part of that is actually winning puck battles which he doesn't do, even his puck retrieval isn't too good cause his straight line speed is rather lacking for a smaller defensemen that relies on his skating and he has a tendency to giveaway the puck if somebody breathes on him. If he was talented like Rantanen then sure I can see why he'd have staunch defenders of his game and why we should overlook these things but simply put he's not, at this point I don't think he's even as talented as Kerfoot.

Every other player takes their licking on these boards when the play bad but Girard always gets a ton excuses by his supporters who actually push this herd mentality your speaking by deflecting criticism towards other players like Nemeth and Graves. Girard can make one competent play and suddenly his supporters will praise him by saying shit like he was our best player tonight, meanwhile Mackinnon will make a dozen good plays casually and get a couple of points and still get flak for a bad OT decision or some minor shit like that.
This whole post just…

You’re right in that, that particular play was not a small mistake and that’s why I said he was fairly criticized for that goal. It also did not change the momentum in the slightest, as you say. The Avs were dominant the whole frigging game and that happened early on. This is exactly what I’m talking about.

What other mistakes has he made in these last two games that were “not small”?

Where are all of these puck battles he lost? He’s lost more than any other player?

The defensive zone giveaways, that must be so glaring and frequent as to point it out that he does it every game? Is it more on average than the other defenseman out there?

And his puck retrieval is poor now??? This is clearly absolute bs. The least you coulda said was he can’t clear the front of the net or something… something that might hold one iota of truth and substance.

These “excuses” used by his “apologists” are brought up over and over because his size and poor play are brought up ad nauseam, are incorrect and should be refuted. Nothing more, nothing less. I’d do the same for any other player on our team. He’s a mid pairing defenceman in his current state, who has limitations defensively due to his size. Although his size has nothing to do with how he’s played in this playoffs (which has been just fine), and it certainly had nothing to do with his series costing goal against last night.

The herd mentality towards others like graves was real as well, but to use that as an excuse to justify the obtuse takes on Girard is childish at best.

Nemeth, however, did not suffer from this. He was a flat out bad hockey player for this team the last time he suited up, making shift to shift mistakes.

But G’s a f***ing hockey midget with a waffle shot and a piss missile clapper. His fancy spins ain’t fooling no one
…Who is getting picked apart for not being able to handle the physicality, when in reality he’s dealt with it fine through these two playoff games. Offensively, he’s been poor, yes.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3