WCF Game 3: Sharks @ Blues | 7:00 PM CT | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tealologist

Apr 8, 2018
Oh here we go again. Just like round 1 when they were gifted an unlimited amount of PP down 3-0 in game 7...?

it did matter - you understand sudden death OT or do you need it explained? Duh...

To be fair, Sharks were gifted a poorly-called 5 minute major, not an “unlimited amount of PP”. But gifts should be appreciated, after all. And I, for one, am appreciative.

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
If all 4 officials missed play, and rule says its non reviewable. Would you prefer that officials changed mind by looking at scoreboard tv screen? Or to call it how they saw it? Should they have saw it? Probably? But I don’t want them pretending they did do you? Should it be reviewable? Probably but should everything be reviewable and how far back? Rules needs to be changed but how?

Do like the NFL and all goals reviewed to see if they’re legit.

Reactions: Johnny4778

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
He didn’t pass it to a player he merely directed it to open ice. The San Jose player who gained possession was behind the net. No advantage was given St. Louis could have got that puck too.

It’s a good goal

please at least try to pretend youve watched hockey before today

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
He didn’t pass it to a player he merely directed it to open ice. The San Jose player who gained possession was behind the net. No advantage was given St. Louis could have got that puck too.

It’s a good goal

This may be the dumbest interpretation of the rule ever.

#1 He batted the puck towards the Blues goal. To negate the hand pass Blues would have to touch with stick or something and they aren't doing that right in front of their net. If the Blues would have played that in front of their nets, they would be a bunch of morons for doing that.

#2 He batted it towards the goal. While yes Nyquist's skates are behind the goal line, his stick isn't. Meier hand passes the puck to dangerous area of the ice where Nyquist gets it (should have been blown dead here) and he passes the puck to way open Karlsson. (Clear Advantage for Them because Blues aren't going to touch it in front of their net with Sharks players all around them)

Last edited:

Malbec Rules

Dec 7, 2009
USA
If all 4 officials missed play, and rule says its non reviewable. Would you prefer that officials changed mind by looking at scoreboard tv screen? Or to call it how they saw it? Should they have saw it? Probably? But I don’t want them pretending they did do you? Should it be reviewable? Probably but should everything be reviewable and how far back? Rules needs to be changed but how?

I’m actually for less review, not more. I would only use it to confirm/deny the puck went over the goal line or not, like soccer and tennis. Everything else just happens and the good/bad calls probably even out in the long run.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
79.1 Hand Pass - A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the on-ice officials, he has directed the puck to a teammate, or has allowed his team to gain an advantage, and subsequently possession and control of the puck is obtained by a player of the offending team, either directly or deflected off any player or official.

Right there in the rule.

Alright, that's pretty fair. As I said from the beginning, I think the rules are still stupidly obscure, but this is probably the worst "Ref Jose" call of all 3 series.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I’m actually for less review, not more. I would only use it to confirm/deny the puck went over the goal line or not, like soccer and tennis. Everything else just happens and the good/bad calls probably even out in the long run.
But a playoff series isn’t the long run.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
St Louis has no one to blame but themselves. They allowed SJ back in the game. Their overrated captain blindly icing the puck repeatedly, even when not under pressure. SJ provides too many match up problems for St Louis. Pete Deboer vs Craig Berube LOL what a mismatch. A chess master vs a neanderthal.

This series probably goes 6, but it has no business going 6. St Louis has no answer..

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Alright, that's pretty fair. As I said from the beginning, I think the rules are still stupidly obscure, but this is probably the worst "Ref Jose" call of all 3 series.
Props for admitting it. I don’t think the rules are that obscure but (1) I’m a blues fan and (2) i just finished a course on tax law, and if you think these rules are obscure, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
I have a hard time understanding why people are perfectly content to ignore the blatant trip on Meier (which is why he was on the ice in the first place) but somehow a play which is clearly written in the rule book as the "Opinion of the official" is this heinous affront to the universe.

Bad take on bad take on bad take.

Because there were multiple trips all game, by both teams not called.

masterofallxix

Aug 5, 2005
San Diego/ San Jose
Do like the NFL and all goals reviewed to see if they’re legit.
Sure. Sounds like a great idea. But that rule (to review all goals) doesn't exist right now, does it? So who's fault is it? Definitely not the Sharks. So you can't blame them and hate them for it. The NHL? Maybe...but complaining about the nhl NOW after the fact is immature. You can't change rules midseason. And keep in mind - a handful of years ago instant replay didn't even exist. Coaches challenges didn't even exist. We had to roll with what refs saw. Are we sure that there were no missed calls in the 1920's stanley cup championship game too??

Reactions: Saskatoon

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
St Louis has no one to blame but themselves. They allowed SJ back in the game. Their overrated captain blindly icing the puck repeatedly, even when not under pressure. SJ provides too many match up problems for St Louis. Pete Deboer vs Craig Berube LOL what a mismatch. A chess master vs a neanderthal.

This series probably goes 6, but it has no business going 6. St Louis has no answer..

Matchups weren’t the problem. Pietrangelo icings were the problem. You calling Berube a Neanderthal tells me all I need to know about you.

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
Sure. Sounds like a great idea. But that rule doesn't exist right now. So who's fault is it? Definitely not the Sharks. So you can't blame them and hate them for it. The NHL? Maybe...but complaining about the nhl NOW after the fact is immature. You can't change rules midseason. And keep in mind - a handful of years ago instant replay didn't even exist. Coaches challenges didn't even exist. We had to roll with what refs saw.

It’s not the Sharks fault. It’s the refs fault. It’s something the NHL Needs to fix. Worst playoff officiating I’ve seen.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I mean, I’m still trying to find the relevance of where nyquist is or whether Meier was directing it. There simply isn’t any.

You are focused on the “advantage” part of the rule.. all I’m saying is that the puck was in open ice and St. Louis could have played it.. San Jose skates from behind / beside the net to play that puck to Karlsson. The way the rules are written this could be considered a good goal. That’s all I’m saying.

It wasn’t a clear advantage imo

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Matchups weren’t the problem. Pietrangelo icings were the problem. You calling Berube a Neanderthal tells me all I need to know about you.

Berube is a great leader no doubt.. but when it comes down to it, he is in over his head against guys like Pete Deboer. Players “Running through a wall” for you only goes so far. SJ is the far more prepared team. St Louis does not understand situational hockey.. and no, you guys have no answer for Karlsson and Burns.

Malbec Rules

Dec 7, 2009
USA
But a playoff series isn’t the long run.

I’m in no way arguing about the hand pass tonight. Clearly it was. Either way, I’m for less review...in hockey and all other sports. I think a playoff series is enough time for things to even out, whether its lucky bounces, calls by refs, etc.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
A hand pass, indirectly or not, is whistled down 100% of the time unless it’s in the defensive zone.

It wasn’t a pass.. he directed the puck to open ice. The San Jose player who got possession had to skate from beside / behind the net to get the puck.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You are focused on the “advantage” part of the rule.. all I’m saying is that the puck was in open ice and St. Louis could have played it.. San Jose skates from behind / beside the net to play that puck to Karlsson. The way the rules are written this could be considered a good goal. That’s all I’m saying.

It wasn’t a clear advantage imo
Keeping the puck isn’t an advantage? I mean, even if we ignore how the rule has always been called, this is a shockingly bad take.

masterofallxix

Aug 5, 2005
San Diego/ San Jose
It’s not the Sharks fault. It’s the refs fault. It’s something the NHL Needs to fix. Worst playoff officiating I’ve seen.
And as a Sharks fan I agree. The NHL needs to fix it. But how much are you going to hate on the NHL for it? Rules are rules, and if things aren't properly written out - what can you possible do? If you want to boycott the NHL and stop following it - so be it. But at this point it is what it is - no rules were bent and no rules were broken. The Sharks won this game based on the rulebook of the NHL as it currently stands.

Again - does it need fixing? Yes absolutely. But it has needed fixing for decades. And it still isn't quite where it needs to be. You can be pissed and stop watching. Or you can roll with it and understand that changes will be made down the road to prevent unfortunate circumstances from happening. In the meantime, the players and teams need to play the way the rules are written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad