WCF Game 3: Sharks @ Blues | 7:00 PM CT | NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Good game of hockey, Sharks up 3-1,Blues fight back 4-3, Sharks fight back 5-4. I think this is the way this series will go.

In the mean time, Bruins will most likely be sitting at home watching the rest of this series for the next week.

TheSilverSkeeter

Sponsor
Oct 27, 2011
STL
Other than pure bad faith, I can't think of any reason to show the worst angle possible and claim that it wasn't a hand pass but somehow bounced off of Bouwmeester. It was a terrible, potentially game-altering non-call and I hate it as a Blues fan.

But I'm working on moving on, and in an effort to keep things light, I cite as additional evidence that at that distance, any puck bouncing off of Bouwmeester always goes directly into the net. Just as that play can't be reviewed, any puck bouncing off of Bouwmeester that close to his own net can't not go directly in.

Reactions: mooncalf and Jargon

FacePlate

May 16, 2019
I have a hard time understanding why people are perfectly content to ignore the blatant trip on Meier (which is why he was on the ice in the first place) but somehow a play which is clearly written in the rule book as the "Opinion of the official" is this heinous affront to the universe.

Bad take on bad take on bad take.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

SharkPack

May 10, 2006
Half Moon Bay, CA
Agreed. Sharks should have been on the PP, not in the locker rooms.

This is the problem with playoff refereeing. The refs swallowed their whistle on the trip, then don't call the hand pass either and then the game result feels tainted. They should just call the game the same as they always do and we'd probably have fewer players thinking they can get away with penalties.

The refs seem to think by calling NOTHING that they are getting out of the way, but it might be backfiring.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009

He didn’t pass it to a player he merely directed it to open ice. The San Jose player who gained possession was behind the net. No advantage was given St. Louis could have got that puck too.

It’s a good goal

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
If it wasn't for the refs.. The Sharks wouldn't even have made it past the 1st round.... Unreal.

I don't even care if the Sharks lose or not but this notion is still ridiculous. Maybe Vegas should have cleared the puck or blocked a few shots instead of shitting their pants and giving up 4 goals during that power play. Even after all that they still had a chance to win in ot and didn't get it done.

Reactions: Jargon

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
The rules are dumb but going word-for-word from the rulebook, Meier didn't "deliberately direct the puck to a teammate". Nyquist was behind the net at the time of the offense.

I'd be livid if it was the other way, so I understand the frustration. But obscure rules are obscure.

mfw13

Oct 20, 2006
The play pretty clearly meets the rulebook definition of a illegal hand pass.

That said...

1) Even if the goal gets called back, that does not mean that the Blues would have won the game. They could have won, or they could have lost....we'll never know.

2) The officials view of the play is often obstructed by players, and the hand-pass was made after the puck was deflected, in a position low to the ice and close to Meier's body. I certainly didn't notice it in real-time, and it's pretty obvious none of the officials did either. You can fault them for that, but given the speed of the game and the bodies on the ice, it's also quite plausible and reasonably for them to miss calls like that.

The real issue is the fact that the play was not reviewable....I can see why the refs missed it.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
He didn’t pass it to a player he merely directed it to open ice. The San Jose player who gained possession was behind the net. No advantage was given St. Louis could have got that puck too.

It’s a good goal
What? Keeping the puck is an advantage, and nyquist wasn’t behind the goal. Buddy go sit this one out, you’re making stuff up.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
It's getting exaggerated how bad of a call it was. It was indeed the wrong call but from most angles it's impossible to see if it hit his hand.

Meier is batting it very close to his body so almost 90 degrees is covered by him. From the angle of Karlsson it's very very hard to detect if he touched as is shown from the gifs posted. Many other angles are covered by players standing around him. There would have been outrage if the play had been blown dead on an errounous assumption that it touched his hand.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
What? Keeping the puck is an advantage, and nyquist wasn’t behind the goal. Buddy go sit this one out, you’re making stuff up.

Watch the video he came from behind / beside the net the puck wasn’t directed at him if it was directed at anyone it was directed at Karlsson.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Watch the video he came from behind / beside the net the puck wasn’t directed at him if it was directed at anyone it was directed at Karlsson.
It doesn’t have to be directed at anyone. Nyquist wasn’t behind the net when he got the puck. The Sharks gained an advantage by retaining possession of the puck. It’s a clear handpass.

Reactions: Malbec Rules

Malbec Rules

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Jones shat the bed... Pretty straight forward shots that should have been stopped.
I don’t fault him for the 1st and 4th goals. One was basically a two on one and the 4th was a deflection. Absolutely agree with you on the 2nd and 3rd goals, especially the 3rd goal.

Jones is either great, like the 3rd period, or terrible, like the 2nd.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

Nyquist is behind the goal-line. Meier looks like an NHL player who knows the rulebook. He's purposefully bouncing the puck into Bouwmeester's legs, hoping it'll then bounce into a good scoring area. He's not "deliberately passing it to a teammate".
Again, though, obscure rules and I'd be angry if the situation was flipped.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Nyquist is behind the goal-line. Meier looks like an NHL player who knows the rulebook. He's purposefully bouncing the puck into Bouwmeester's legs, hoping it'll then bounce into a good scoring area. He's not "deliberately passing it to a teammate".

He doesn’t have to deliberately pass it to a teammate. He has to hit it with his hand leading to an advantage.

And yeah, video is blatantly clear that nyquist is in front of the goal when he plays it. Thanks for that.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
It doesn’t have to be directed at anyone. Nyquist wasn’t behind the net when he got the puck. The Sharks gained an advantage by retaining possession of the puck. It’s a clear handpass.

No but he had to skate from behind the net/ beside the net to the puck as it wasn’t directed to him it was directed to open ice where any player could have gained possession of it.
Watch that video with the shitty angle everyone used to try and say he didn’t touch the puck with his hand lol

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
No but he had to skate from behind the net/ beside the net to the puck as it wasn’t directed to him it wasn’t directed to open ice where any player could have gained possession of it.
Watch that video with the ****ty angle everyone used to try and say he didn’t touch the puck with his hand lol
I mean, I’m still trying to find the relevance of where nyquist is or whether Meier was directing it. There simply isn’t any.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
He doesn’t have to deliberately pass it to a teammate. He has to hit it with his hand leading to an advantage.

And yeah, video is blatantly clear that nyquist is in front of the goal when he plays it. Thanks for that.

Where in the rulebook does it say "leading to an advantage"?

A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the Referee, he has deliberately directed the puck to a teammate in any zone other than the defending zone, in which case the play shall be stopped and a face-off conducted (see Rule 79 – Hand Pass). Play will not be stopped for any hand pass by players in their own defending zone.

Meier passes it to an open area, not deliberately to a teammate. The puck is up for grabs by anyone, especially Bouwmeester. But Nyquist beats everyone there.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
The play pretty clearly meets the rulebook definition of a illegal hand pass.

That said...

1) Even if the goal gets called back, that does not mean that the Blues would have won the game. They could have won, or they could have lost....we'll never know.

2) The officials view of the play is often obstructed by players, and the hand-pass was made after the puck was deflected, in a position low to the ice and close to Meier's body. I certainly didn't notice it in real-time, and it's pretty obvious none of the officials did either. You can fault them for that, but given the speed of the game and the bodies on the ice, it's also quite plausible and reasonably for them to miss calls like that.

The real issue is the fact that the play was not reviewable....I can see why the refs missed it.

Yeah, agreed on both counts. Also, he didn’t bat it into the goal.. the Blues should’ve kept playing. But regardless, I get that it sucks but it happens all the time in the playoffs and players have to push on.

In the meantime, all hail REF JOOOOSE!

Reactions: Tealologist

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Where in the rulebook does it say "leading to an advantage"?

A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the Referee, he has deliberately directed the puck to a teammate in any zone other than the defending zone, in which case the play shall be stopped and a face-off conducted (see Rule 79 – Hand Pass). Play will not be stopped for any hand pass by players in their own defending zone.

Meier passes it to an open area, not deliberately to a teammate. The puck is up for grabs by anyone, especially Bouwmeester. But Nyquist beats everyone there.
79.1 Hand Pass - A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the on-ice officials, he has directed the puck to a teammate, or has allowed his team to gain an advantage, and subsequently possession and control of the puck is obtained by a player of the offending team, either directly or deflected off any player or official.

Right there in the rule.

Reactions: Tealologist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad