• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Vegas is proving exactly the opposite. It's proving that there is more talent across the league than we realize, because good hockey players (like William Karlsson, Erik Haula and Reilly Smith) weren't getting the opportunity before to shine like they could. The more that we "water down" the league by adding teams, the more talent gets discovered to fill it right back up again. In the end, the league is much better off for it... or would you prefer there to still be only 24 teams, the Thrashers/Jets not existing at all and your star players (Laine, Scheifele and Wheeler) playing for some other team right now?

This is the clear conclusion. How anyone could see otherwise when a team of cast offs is one game from the final is beyond me. If there wasn't enough talent in the league, then everyone would have kept their stars, gotten rid of an expendable player, and that expansion team of expendables would be completely outmatched against every team that kept their stars.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I know we live in a post fact world but the narrative being developed by Jets fans here is straight out of the Donald Trump playbook, ignore the facts and make up a narrative that fits your echo chamber.

First and foremost the VGK organization does not own T-Mobile arena, they don't hire the employees they and they don't set the rules and they most assuredly do not say who can bring what into the arena. The arena is used for non-hockey events just as much as Knights games.

VGK's did not hire and have no affiliation with the security guard who "threw a flag in the trash". I suspect we haven't gotten the whole story but lets say it's true even as bad as it sounds it has nothing to do with VGK organization and implying it does is intellectually dishonest. The same goes for the lights. The VGK do not control or have any influence on other teams practicing at the arena or when the lights are turned on and off. The Knights practice in Summerlin which is 25 mins away and they do own their practice facility so unless Winnipeg is practicing at City Center than their is zero once again that has to do with VGK organization. And police tape? If you think that VGK control LV Metro I got some beach front property in Kansas for you. This is a city of 2 million people who can drink 24-7, smoke pot and indulge in any vice they want. I know Jets fans think they are the center of the universe but the police have much more to worry about than screwing with your hockey team.

If you want to keep on trashing the VGK organization and calling them classless for things that have no control over you are more than welcome to do so but it makes you look petty, uneducated, and the sorest losers on the planet.

The story on this was that the flag was too big. There are clear specifications on what flags and signs are and aren't allowed into the arena. Other Jets fans were able to bring their gear in no problem.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Oh well then gee. Game set match there. Do you have the quote where Daly intended the Knights to be cup contenders and the Knights were free to pick any superstar from any team?

Who said superstar?

I know facts don’t matter to FoxNews enthusiasts and 40% of the American population but the facts are the NHL changed the rules in between expansion drafts.

It’s also a fact that motivation behind the rule change was that the NHL intended Vegas to be more competitive. To accomplish that they rewrote the rules to require teams to make better players available.

Vegas still had to win the games but the fact the deck was stacked in their favour is not up for debate.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Or one could view it as the league has more depth of talent than ever and this is how Vegas was able to build such a talented team on so-called leftovers.

Just depends on perspective.
Coming from a guy who’s never likely even stepped on a sheet of ice. It’s a per capita thing bro. Hardly anyone plays hockey so the talent pool to pull from is wayyyyyyyyyyy smaller than any other major sport. Imagine if guys like mike trout played hockey!? If hockey was accessible and popular, we would have ten Mcdavids in the league and likely half who are in the league right now wouldn’t even crack the ECHL. And the more teams that enter the league, the more watered down it becomes. League would be incredible if there were only 24 teams.

Last edited:

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The story on this was that the flag was too big. There are clear specifications on what flags and signs are and aren't allowed into the arena. Other Jets fans were able to bring their gear in no problem.

And the rest of the story was that the fan was offered to check the flag in with security a d retrieve it after the game, and declined to do so. Security won't even throw water bottles in the trash. They just tell us we can't bring them in.

Reactions: allevat

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Who said superstar?

I know facts don’t matter to FoxNews enthusiasts and 40% of the American population but the facts are the NHL changed the rules in between expansion drafts.

It’s also a fact that motivation behind the rule change was that the NHL intended Vegas to be more competitive. To accomplish that they rewrote the rules to require teams to make better players available.

Vegas still had to win the games but the fact the deck was stacked in their favour is not up for debate.
First of all nice generalizing as to what I'm an "enthusiast" about

Second of all I'm curious whether you were pushing back against all the people that expected a basement finish for the Knights after the expansion draft. Somehow I doubt it.

Reactions: Northern Knights

HankMoody

May 19, 2018

Seems like a pretty reasonable conclusion to me. Yet people want to cast this anti-Canadian agenda (even thought Vegas has more Canadians on the team than Winnipeg) and the mistreatment of Jets fans because of a facebook post. Just shows you the bubbles we live in society today. The truth is never as good as the made up story.

HankMoody

May 19, 2018
The Vegas odds makers would never allow liability on the futures markets at 250-1 let alone 500-1 if this team was even projected as making the playoffs as even a wildcard. The people who set the lines are usually smarter than the talking heads in sports. Oddsmakers have to be right more than they are wrong otherwise they wouldn't be in business. The talk of "a gifted team" is pure nonsense. No one thought they would be good. To suggest otherwise is revisionist history at its finest. Everyone was wrong about this which means all the credit needs to go the players, coaches, and GM. Instead of being salty and bitter enjoy history being made because you are likely to never see it again.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010

Today I learned that giving a team a fair chance is stacking the deck in their favour. A chance which almost every body thought meant "Better than previous expansion teams but still a bottom feeder".

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I type this with a complete understanding of how cringey it is to preach on a message board, but Jesus Christ fellow Jets fans, reel yourselves in!

The Jets are getting out-goaltended fair and square. Pretty much any team with a 0.950ish goalie will mow teams down in the playoffs. It is what it is.

Jets have to win 3 coin flips in a row. 12.5% is long odds but it’s not inconceivable.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I type this with a complete understanding of how cringey it is to preach on a message board, but Jesus Christ fellow Jets fans, reel yourselves in!

The Jets are getting out-goaltended fair and square. Pretty much any team with a 0.950ish goalie will mow teams down in the playoffs. It is what it is.

Jets have to win 3 coin flips in a row. 12.5% is long odds but it’s not inconceivable.

It isn't just goaltending, Gallant has done many adjustments that have worked well.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Hellebuyck really shit the bed 3 games in a row.

Most of the goals on him were soft and at the worst time possible that killed any momentum.

Pretty easy to get out goalied in these last 3 games when your goalie does not show up.

Reactions: rosenqvist

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
First of all nice generalizing as to what I'm an "enthusiast" about

Second of all I'm curious whether you were pushing back against all the people that expected a basement finish for the Knights after the expansion draft. Somehow I doubt it.

Well if you doubt the facts, it’s a fairly logical step to theorize as to things that would reasonate with you.

I didn’t ... and don’t ... care a lick about Vegas.

I think I watched a full regular season game once and only once because I couldn’t sleep and it was on.

If they were pegged to finish last or first, I don’t care. They could win the Cup. I wouldn’t protest. I’m thoroughly not interested in watching them as there is no compelling reason to. But that doesn’t make a win any less deserved.

However, in terms of how that team was built, it was built to be better than Columbus and Minnesota were out of the gate. By design thanks to the NHL.

Those are the facts.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Today I learned that giving a team a fair chance is stacking the deck in their favour. A chance which almost every body thought meant "Better than previous expansion teams but still a bottom feeder".

Was that said by anyone or just something you are making up?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Childish, as in the VGK organization pulling stunts like keeping maintenance workers on the ice when the Jets reserved time to practice. Covering the outside of the arena boards with police tape, so there is no way the Jets can practice? Or deliberately turning the lights off to the arena coincidentally before Game 4 at the Jets morning practice, and ignore calls to turn the lights to the arena, so the Jets were forced to practice in the dark?

Name one arena outside Vegas where that garbage would be tolerated? It's says a lot about the VGK and the T-Mobile arena lack of respect for opposing clubs. No idea about the urinals incident, but trying to sabotage the skating time of your opponent is unheard of, as far as I know through recent history of the NHL.

Bottom line is, I have the upmost respect for the Nashville Predators. They are a true class organization, who fought a hard series, and never pulled any s**t that Vegas is doing, and actually played the TOP GUN theme during the handshakes. That made me respect the organization. Pure class. Compare that with Vegas, and it's not even close. The sad thing is, it indicates people in Vegas do not respect hockey, and it reflects poorly on the league.

Next round, I will be cheering for Washington or Tampa if Vegas wins on Sunday. I want a classy organization to win the cup, something the VGK are not.
This is so funny. I am learning a lot about hockey fans.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
Seems like a pretty reasonable conclusion to me. Yet people want to cast this anti-Canadian agenda (even thought Vegas has more Canadians on the team than Winnipeg) and the mistreatment of Jets fans because of a facebook post. Just shows you the bubbles we live in society today. The truth is never as good as the made up story.
Too true comrade, too true.

Reactions: HankMoody

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
You argue they haven't complemented Vegas or their players, and then in your very next post acknowledge they've complemented many Vegas players.

You're way off. People whine way too much about PxP and commentary guys. They aren't slighting Vegas at all. They talk up Winnipeg a bit more because they're catering to a Canadian audience (and ostensibly, Winnipeg fans). That doesn't mean they've been unfair to Vegas with their analysis and commentary.

No. They only compliment MAF. The others get very little praise.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
It isn't just goaltending, Gallant has done many adjustments that have worked well.

I’m not saying there aren’t other factors but goaltending is by far and away the story of this series. By most metrics that I favour, such as expected goals or high danger scoring chances, the Jets skaters are outplaying the Vegas skaters.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I’m not saying there aren’t other factors but goaltending is by far and away the story of this series. By most metrics that I favour, such as expected goals or high danger scoring chances, the Jets skaters are outplaying the Vegas skaters.

The Connor giveaway.

That was pure coaching/scouting.

How many 2 on 0s have the Jets had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad