WC: WC popularity and attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Belarus-Denmark attracted total of 537 spectators in thr Globen today.

Wow, that is really bad and Denmark is pretty much the closest team in the pool (along with Norway). I hope the IIHF wakes up and realizes they need a major overhaul of how they do things but I won't hold my breath.

wolf13

Mar 4, 2013
The best solution has nothing to do with WC. Make the league seasons more synchronized. Start and end NHL season 4-6 weeks earlier. End KHL season a month later. Etc.

What is actually the reason why NHL season starts and ends so late? Seems stupid to have NHL playoffs at the same time NBA has its own when there's plenty of more silent time few weeks earlier.

Ofc this wouldn't solve the problems but would reduce many of those.

If you think that has any chance of happening you are insane. First off NBC would block them from doing so. They don't want the Stanley Finals on when the season finales of their prime time shows are on. They simply wouldn't air the Stanley Cup finals on their main network.

Second if you start the season earlier you have more of an overlay with the NFL and NCAA football. The NHL would way rather play at the same time as basketball than football. There is no arguing that.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I couldn't agree more. There is no better solution.

------------------------------------------------

Btw. hockey fans complaining about too many hockey games? What an absurd world has this become.

Too many meaningless games. It's like watching regular season and you know your team is finished, but you still have to watch rest of the games. It's just painful.

Reznor

Feb 20, 2013
Fribourg
Do you vote just like you vote on Poll on hfboards (with bank-account indentification or something), just on goverment site, or how?

Edit: can you post your own poll for official vote?
Like for example: "Make swedish beer illegal" :sarcasm:

You go in a voting bureau or you receive voting material at home and can send it in a letter.
You can call for a vote on almost everything even "make swedish beer illegal" if you can find 100'000 signatures by swiss citizens.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
You go in a voting bureau or you receive voting material at home and can send it in a letter.
You can call for a vote on almost everything even "make swedish beer illegal" if you can find 100'000 signatures by swiss citizens.

Okay, cool, but would've expected the votes are in internet. In Finland, you can make new law proposal if you get 50 000 names on goverment official site to your law proposal. For example beer law.. (But the proposal's are just cancelled in the parliament.) The site could be used for voting if we had real democracy.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
1) Its a b-tournament nowadays and is only important for smaller teams to play against the bigger ones.

2) its bloody expensive and therefor not worth it.

3) Most games arent intresting to any fan. Who wants to watch Canada beat Norway into a pulp?

sirMcDuck

Feb 19, 2006
Ticket-prices to first quarterfinal in Helsinki are starting at 123 euros and to Finland's quarterfinal at 203 euros. It's pretty clear that arenas will be empty at both games. Nobody pays that much, right?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Ticket-prices to first quarterfinal in Helsinki are starting at 123 euros and to Finland's quarterfinal at 203 euros. It's pretty clear that arenas will be empty at both games. Nobody pays that much, right?

They will be packed.. there's always of people with too much money

Last edited:

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
I've been on the record many times on these boards saying that the best thing for hockey would be if a league developed in Europe that could truly rival the NHL. The KHL is not there yet, but maybe one day it will be.

However I totally reject the opinion that most Europeans seem to have in that North Americans or the NHL somehow owe them something because so many top euro players are playing with clubs in NA. Those players are here because the fans in NA pay a lot of money to see them and as a result they are paid handsomely and a huge part of the money they make goes with them back to Europe when their hockey careers are over. One thing I can say is that after all these years on HFBoards it is clear to see that most Europeans have little or no gratitude for the opportunities the NHL and its fans provide to Europeans or for the huge contribution that North Americans make to the game as a whole. Perhaps if I felt it was appreciated I would be more supportive of us taking part in the WC, but as it stands now I would rather see the NHL allstar break used for a CAN-US miniseries and then leave the WC for europe and whatever they want to do with it.

Why would Europeans feel any "gratitude" to NA regarding to hockey ? Players are obviously happy that they can earn millions but for average hockey fan in Europe they just screw our own leagues by getting our best players. And "millions" hockey players make have zero impact in our economy.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
They will be packed.. there's always of people with too much money

Or maybe simply people with different priorities. I'm sure a lot of people can easily save 200€ if they really want to attend a game, it's not like everyone in Finland struggles to put food on the plates.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Or maybe simply people with different priorities. I'm sure a lot of people can easily save 200€ if they really want to attend a game, it's not like everyone in Finland struggles to put food on the plates.

Did I say so? I know that as I obviousely live in Finland, I could afford it if I wanted, but I surely am not going to pay 200€ for nosebleed, not in WC tournament. Maybe olympic final I would pay it for nosebleed seats..

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Thats just ridiculous :shakehead

You're saying you cannot afford to have food on your plate? :sarcasm:

These prices just are too high. It doesn't matter how wealthy you are, still won't be wise to pay 50€ for coffee package. This is the same situation basicly.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Did I say so? I know that as I obviousely live in Finland, I could afford it if I wanted, but I surely am not going to pay 200€ for nosebleed, not in WC tournament. Maybe olympic final I would pay it for nosebleed seats..

You said that people going to this game have too much money. My point was that most finns surely can pay 200€ without putting their future in jeopardy. I agree this is too much for a hockey game, but some people think it's worth it, that doesn't make them rich guys with money to waste, just people who prefer to see a hockey game rather than get a new TV or party every weekend.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Why would Europeans feel any "gratitude" to NA regarding to hockey ? Players are obviously happy that they can earn millions but for average hockey fan in Europe they just screw our own leagues by getting our best players. And "millions" hockey players make have zero impact in our economy.

To start with for participating in the WC. It is clearly a tournament only intended for fans in Europe.

premadonna

Oct 5, 2012
Paying €200 (of your own money) to see a WC quarterfinal game is just stupid. And I don't care how wealthy you are. It'll be a "corporate crowd" on Thursday.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
To start with for participating in the WC. It is clearly a tournament only intended for fans in Europe.

So North Americans should feel gratitude towards Europe for participating in the Canada Cup/World Cup too, right? Because the Canada Cup/World Cup is clearly a tournament only intended for fans in North America.

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
I would say the problem is:

a) Too many games in one place (which also makes the ticket prices a problem)
b) The sorry state of the economy in many countries.
c) Many games played during the day (when the locals are at work or on their way home from work)
d) A number of smaller factors, some of which have been mentioned here.

Another thing to take into account would be the size of the arenas. It obviously doesn't effect the "low" number of people who go to the games.... but it do effect how the attendece numbers "look" inside the arenas. For example... if there are 6 000 people (decent crowd if the host aren't playing I would guess) showing up to see a game in Stockholm the arena will look half empty (beacause it's half empty). But put those 6 000 in a much smaller arena, like we might of done 10 years ago, and it would have looked great.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
The game today between Slovakia-USA is played during when people work, but still i qiuet a lot of people in the arena.

And the Finn in the thread is right, some swedes seem to be living in a bubble. The swedish people not europeans. :laugh: Sure we're not as close to the true indo-europeans like the lithuanians but still, we cluster close to the other european-peoples if you test yourself genetically.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Been to one game so far, gonna watch a quarterfinal at least but specially for the less attractive games they should lower the prices a lot, costs way too much as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad