WC: WC popularity and attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.

klikkar

Apr 30, 2009
Brno
Im pretty sure the Czech WC in 2015 will be packed again, it's in the middle of europe, pretty cheap tickets, acomodation, food and drinks will attract lot of fans. Plus, you can drive anywhere to CZ within 4 hours if you want some sightseeing done.

I believe the last championship in Prague still holds the average attendance record. I wish the secondary city would be Brno instead of Ostrava this time, but the new 11 000 arena wont be done(or even in construction) by then. (also, it would be about 5 min walk from where I live.) :laugh:

AllezLucerne

Dec 27, 2012
Suisse
Im pretty sure the Czech WC in 2015 will be packed again, it's in the middle of europe, pretty cheap tickets, acomodation, food and drinks will attract lot of fans. Plus, you can drive anywhere to CZ within 4 hours if you want some sightseeing done.

Already excited about that tournament :handclap:

I think 2014 is gonna be weird though. Nothing against Belarusians, but i don't think Belarus is gonna attract a lot of people.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

I believe the last championship in Prague still holds the average attendance record. I wish the secondary city would be Brno instead of Ostrava this time, but the new 11 000 arena wont be done(or even in construction) by then. (also, it would be about 5 min walk from where I live.) :laugh:

Just need to ensure somehow that Slovakia plays in Ostrava like back in 2004, so there is good attendance for both venues and not like in Slovakia 2011 when both played in Bratislava.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
$163 for so-so tickets SWE-CAN, $230 for good ones... :amazed: :amazed:

The arena won't be filled tonight.

Cheapest tickets for the Finnish game tonight start from $250...

There are still thousands of tickets available, meaning that the game won't be a sellout. Quite sad for a passionate hockey nation.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Russia - USA game at 13:00 and there where tickets around 200 eur. For real...WTF.

These idiots organizing these games never learn..even if you organize back to back tournaments.

monkey_news.jpg

Last edited:

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Sweden and Finland should banned from hosting the Skoda Cup for at least 15 years. Worst tournaments in terms of atmosphere 2 years in a row. Keep them in countries where the whole sports culture is miles ahead.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
It's says something when Olympic tickets are more affordable then tickets for a second tier tournament such as this. Horrible organization by whoever runs this. It's an embarrassment to the game.

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
Sweden and Finland should banned from hosting the Skoda Cup for at least 15 years. Worst tournaments in terms of atmosphere 2 years in a row. Keep them in countries where the whole sports culture is miles ahead.

Nothing wrong with the sports culture in either of the countries. And the TV ratings are quite good, it's not the "sports culture's" fault that the organizers have their heads up their *****. The seat prices are completely unjustified. As a side note, I won't defend the lack of atmosphere in Stockholm, corporate crowd or not, they aren't into hockey there.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Sweden and Finland has hockey culture but the real fans are watching games in homes and bars/pubs as the ticket prices are horrible. Again. These organizers just want to make good profits (Again) and kill the sport while doing it, again.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Nothing wrong with the sports culture in either of the countries. And the TV ratings are quite good, it's not the "sports culture's" fault that the organizers have their heads up their *****. The seat prices are completely unjustified.

This. I don't blame the fans.

Just one example:

GER-USA you could get tickets for 10 euros, kids under 12 for 5 euros. The attendance was 11057

Same day, RUS-SVK tickets were from 69 euros for kids up to 99 euros. The attendance was 4041

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
No more WHCs in Stockholm, please. Neither Hockey Federation(Finland/Sweden) deserves to arrange this tournament in the near future, but attendance in Stockholm has been especially disgraceful.

SPMaximus

Apr 29, 2011
dont let Finland/Sweden organize it again for a few decades, and send whoever was in charge of this ****fest adrift

SFZUniN.jpg

Poro24

May 4, 2005
Finland
I don't understand the logic. Why it's a better option to have empty arena with super expensive tickets when you could have full arena with cheaper tickets and also make more profit this way.

Idiots. I really hope that Finland and Sweden will never host the World Championships again.

Gemini

May 12, 2011
Why it's a better option to have empty arena with super expensive tickets when you could have full arena with cheaper tickets and also make more profit this way.

Depends on the price elasticity of demand.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I don't understand the logic. Why it's a better option to have empty arena with super expensive tickets when you could have full arena with cheaper tickets and also make more profit this way.

Idiots. I really hope that Finland and Sweden will never host the World Championships again.

You don't think people in charge haven't counted this? They profit more If they sell 10k tickets for 200€ rather than 100€ for 12k. They just try to maximize profits in the expense of atmosphere. Which sucks, truly sucks.

Tissotti

Apr 30, 2011
Helsinki
After last years craziness it seems like noting was learned. I absolutely don't wanna see Finland hosting these games for a long time.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

Usa-Russia game the tickets were +200e and they sold 5500 tickets. 200x5500=1,1mil

Lets say the tickets were about 50e? That would maybe get the arena full. 50x12000=0,6mil

They are business men they are not stupid. it's simple matter of mathematics and demand.

Forsberg21Sakic19

Jul 8, 2012
Hoboken, New Jersey, US
I just had myself a bit of a rant about this on the IHF boards. If you compare the first two quarterfinal games from last year to this year the attendance went from a combined 19,087 from last year down to 7,743 this year. This is a reduction of 11,344 fans and 59.43%. I understand the argument that the organizers could be profiting more by selling tickets at a higher price. But have they not thought of a graduated model for tickets? And oh by the way nobody is going to want to sponsor/broadcast/promote this event if they see a ton of empty seats. They may have made some money on it but if the organizers of these events truly want to make money they need to get the arenas packed consistently so they can start to gradually lift prices as the popularity/exclusivity of attending a QF game (or any other for that matter) increases.

I love Sweden and Finland, and there is nothing wrong with the sporting culture, but I hope they don't host another one of these for a good 12-15 years. This event has been taken for granted by the hosts and this tournament and hockey fans globally don't deserve that.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
These games are not supposed to held that host nations ice hockey federations could make robbery profits.

This is the route IIHF wants? empty seats and dull atmosphere? hockey tournament for the business and companies people...let the "poor people" and real hockey fans stay out of the arenas.

Pathetic.

And I totally agree that Finland and Sweden should not get these games for years.

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
I can see the people in charge discussing higher prices and games at 10 AM right now, in hope to attract more fans.

Seriously, i don't know how you can be so reluctant to learn from mistakes (its not like the exact same thing happened last year..). There must be a lot of politicians involved.

Poro24

May 4, 2005
Finland
Picture from tonights Finland-Slovakia:

is_hartwallareena20130516b-600x400.jpg

Good job with the ticket prices :shakehead. Our team deserved better support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad