WC: WC popularity and attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Usa-Russia game the tickets were +200e and they sold 5500 tickets. 200x5500=1,1mil

Lets say the tickets were about 50e? That would maybe get the arena full. 50x12000=0,6mil

They are business men they are not stupid. it's simple matter of mathematics and demand.

What if the tickets were 100€? 100x10000=1 million plus the increased beverage and food sales.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Today's Germany vs USA day game was sold-out because of lower ticket prices. As long as tickets are affordable, people will come - the interest is there.

LOL it was not sold out i'm sorry. Watch any highlight reel and you'll see about half the arena was empty seats.

****ing brutally run competition by Finland and Sweden for two years running.

I'd give them a bloody ban on hosting for this mess.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah.... No. That is not the case :laugh:

Are you saying that attendance at this tournament was in any way okay?

It was an embarrassment to the hockey world, and by association, you have embarrassed us all as a Finnish hockey fan.

Did you at least send a single email complaining? I'm guessing not.

KlonkLLL

Feb 22, 2010
I live in Stockholm. Im a regular hockey goer during the season but I (or any of my friends really) can't afford this.
Its sad that more then 11k actually went to the game against Canada. I rather it be like 3k or something so the greedy ****s in ties and suits understands that this is unacceptable.

Tissotti

Apr 30, 2011
Helsinki
It was an embarrassment to the hockey world, and by association, you have embarrassed us all as a Finnish hockey fan.

:laugh:
Won't somebody please think of the children? Oh the humanity.

No but really. As long as the same people who were behind this price fiasco are there (Kummola) Finland should not host the WHC's. Also this dual hosting wont be used here again, please. Never felt like a real home games and this arrangement limits it to only one city per country. Something that seemed to especially hurt the Swedish side of the games.

Last edited:

Snaibberi

Mar 20, 2008
I dont know what you do there in North-America, but here in Finland games are "sold out" even if seats are empty. Reason for this is that corporations and other sources buy punch of tickets and then give/sell those to bisnes partners etc. But many times, or rather always some of those tickets are unused. Once i was in half empty Jokerit game and still they announced it as a full house.

It is stupid i know. And main reason, why tickets are so expensive is that corporations and other affiliates buy them no matter what. Average hockey fan means nothing to Kummola and other high placing hockey persons in Finland.

I also hope, that Finland dont get another tournament for a long time. You know, that it is almost cheaper for me and my friends to go see ice hockey championships in Belorussia next year, than to go see them in Helsinki 120km from my home :shakehead

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Well, the tickets definitely are too expensive. I didn't even consider going to see the games live as I live about 700km to the north from Helsinki. The cost would have been prohibitive. It's more important to pay the bills and raise a family than waste all the money on entertainment - especially when it can be watched on the telly for free.

ariochnyo

May 17, 2013
Ticket where expensive for the nights game, but more problematic for me was this system of "day" packages...

For ex. all tickets for Slovakia - Austria were sold to Finns... for the evening game against Russia...
Week day, at 4pm, people at work

Only few russians and even less Austrians/Slovakians willing to spend > 100 € for a preliminary game of their team were there...

the value of the ticket itself was +/- 10€ (as written on it) so more than affordable!

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
In my opinion this tournament is not what it should be.

The best players available in the world are still playing in the NHL playoffs at the time the tournament is held.

Most of the teams consist of the cast offs & leftovers that never made the playoffs & many players still don't even want to play in this tournament.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
In my opinion this tournament is not what it should be.

The best players available in the world are still playing in the NHL playoffs at the time the tournament is held.

Most of the teams consist of the cast offs & leftovers that never made the playoffs & many players still don't even want to play in this tournament.

All fans of such a small sport should be thankful for any attention it gets.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
How much are tickets? Getting mixed reports about the IIHF popularity. Some people are saying sales/TV coverage (watching) is down. Others are saying, it's still high despite increased ticket price.

I think the marketing is awful. They really need a new marketing strategy. Hockey should be the #1 sport but compared to FIFA (soccer/Football), there's nothing. When FIFA / World Cup Soccer is on, there's entertainment shows and all kinds of crap. I have to put up with even local stations yapping about it and commercials about it. With IIHF, there is nothing unless you tune in TSN.

If it's a cash cow, then there's not much you can do. You could move the dates back a bit and have more $$ go to the NHL or something (since the NHL might have to adjust their season).

I think it's all about money and yes, they'd like to promote the sport but you usually have a strategy for marketing when you do that.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Marketing is piss poor, but that's what you get when the federations give jobs to retired old players with no business competence whatsoever.

A first year marketing student could have devised better marketing with half the budget.

doubleaxes

Nov 25, 2012
2,9 mio watch the final in Sweden. Like saying 1 out of 3 was watching hockey yesterday in Sweden.
Waiting for Swiss numbers.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
All fans of such a small sport should be thankful for any attention it gets.

I liked Helsinky more than Stockholm, but still these two whc in Sweden and Finland were a complete embarrassment.

Denmark - Belarus - 537 spectators. - that's a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP ?? in SWEDEN ?? It looks like attendance of II. division bowling junior championship in South Africa.

Czech republic - Switzerland - 3,537 spectators

The worst thing is that this is official number, but the real number was often even lower.

Quartet-final game between the Czechs and the Swiss - only 2,237 (compare to that, at this years' whc (division I) was actually better attendance (3,689 spectators in a game between Italy and Kazakhstan in Budapest, Hungary)

Quartet-final game between Russia and the US - 5,506

Last edited:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I liked Helsinky more than Stockholm, but still these two whc in Sweden and Finland were a complete embarrassment.

Denmark - Belarus - 537 spectators. - that's a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP ?? in SWEDEN ?? It looks like attendance of II. division bowling junior championship in South Africa.

Czech republic - Switzerland - 3,537 spectators

The worst thing is that this is official number, but the real number was often even lower.

Quartet-final game between the Czechs and the Swiss - only 2,237 (compare to that, at this years' whc (division I) was actually better attendance (3,689 spectators in a game between Italy and Kazakhstan in Budapest, Hungary)

Quartet-final game between Russia and the US - 5,506

Who cares about lesser nations playing group games that means nothing because everyone knows neither of those countries will advance? :help:
(About Denmark - Belarus).

Since you're a true hockey fan, maybe should have come over and spectated?

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Who cares about lesser nations playing group games that means nothing because everyone knows neither of those countries will advance? :help:
(About Denmark - Belarus).

Since you're a true hockey fan, maybe should have come over and spectated?

Yeah, so let's watch only the top 7. And what about only 3 thousand people in a quartet-final game between the Czechs and the Swiss ? Nobody cares ?

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Yeah, so let's watch only the top 7. And what about only 3 thousand people in a quartet-final game between the Czechs and the Swiss ? Nobody cares ?

On a thursday 3 pm, priced as it was? Can't say I blame people for not going. Bottom line is organizers did not learn their lesson from last year.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
About teams outside of Sweden? In Sweden? Not really, why should they?

2011 WHC in Slovakia - game between Germany and Denmark - 9,299.

Germany - Slovenia - 8,010
Denmark - Latvia - 8,870
Slovenia - Belarus - 8,708

Each play-off game was almost or totally sold out. Even a game in relagation round between Austria and Slovenia was almost sold out.

;)

I'm not saying it's because people don't care, but it's still an embarrassment that a nation like Sweden can't organize a high-quality tournament. Even though it's not a people's fault, but problems with ticket-price etc.

Last edited:

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
2011 WHC in Slovakia - game between Germany and Denmark - 9,299.

Germany - Slovenia - 8,010
Denmark - Latvia - 8,870
Slovenia - Belarus - 8,708

Each play-off game was almost or totally sold out. Even a game in relagation round between Austria and Slovenia was almost sold out.

;)

Didn't answer my question. Why should people care? The games are on TV.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Didn't answer my question. Why should people care?

If they don't care so much, why should be a tournament like that in such a place ? Then it should be in a stadium with lower capacity, when it's always half-empty.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
If they don't care so much, why should be a tournament like that in such a place ? Then it should be in a stadium with lower capacity, when it's always half-empty.

Yup, but they decided to hoste it in Stockholm instead of Malmö, where it would be like that.

That's how the Junior world championship is going to be. The main crowd games in a 13,000 arena, the others in a 5,000 arena. It's swedish hockey politics.

Edit: When I think about it they could have done the same in Stockholm. Guess the reason is since the tournament is done in 2 countries there is no need.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad