AHL: WBS Penguins Thread: Youre a prospect until youre 30 and youll like it!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well 20 year old season in the ECHL, 21 year old season AHL only contract- doesn't bode well for an NHL future atm.

His 20 year old season was in the OHL, no? Elite Prospects shows this as his first season of pro hockey.

At this juncture I'd say the sample is a little too small for getting excited but if he continues, then his past won't really matter. 21 year olds don't just step into the AHL and get ppg. He does that over a reasonable sample size, pretty much all his comparables will be NHLers.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Had some thoughts typed up on Hayes, Vierling & Joshua and some others on AHL-only deals but lost it when some ad refreshed the whole page. Doesn’t seem totally worth the effort since they’re technically not Pittsburgh property.

They do seem high on Hayes, he went through a stretch where nothing was going right for him and they just continued throwing him out there, and now he’s lighting it up. And Forrest uses Joshua in every situation, often he’s first over the boards. Thinking they’re the best candidates to get NHL deals.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
His 20 year old season was in the OHL, no? Elite Prospects shows this as his first season of pro hockey.

At this juncture I'd say the sample is a little too small for getting excited but if he continues, then his past won't really matter. 21 year olds don't just step into the AHL and get ppg. He does that over a reasonable sample size, pretty much all his comparables will be NHLers.
My bad, those 34 ECHL games were this year.

Reactions: Peat

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Had some thoughts typed up on Hayes, Vierling & Joshua and some others on AHL-only deals but lost it when some ad refreshed the whole page. Doesn’t seem totally worth the effort since they’re technically not Pittsburgh property.

They do seem high on Hayes, he went through a stretch where nothing was going right for him and they just continued throwing him out there, and now he’s lighting it up. And Forrest uses Joshua in every situation, often he’s first over the boards. Thinking they’re the best candidates to get NHL deals.
Baby pens are playing Hershey now and after the 1st period WBS 1-0. Hayes his sixth from Beau Jelsma and Scooter Brickley!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’m liking Jelsma. Good skater, and skates well with the puck. Small but plays bigger.

I’m pretty sure he’s draft-eligible still and not an NHL free agent, so kind of unusual situation with him signing an AHL deal. Guess he wants to showcase himself before the draft. Not sure where I’d look at him. Maybe in the middle somewhere. He’s 20 so he’s closer to a finished product than a 17/18 year old.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

His ECHL stats weren't that great. Maybe just hit a hot streak upon joining WBS that will fade. Would be nice if is in fact a late bloomer.

Or maybe he found Wheeling too depressing for words and loves the upbeat world of WBS.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Seems like they’re getting Shea too. And maybe Koivunen?
Shea had to go through waivers, it looks like, at least according to CapFriendly. So I guess that's why he wasn't in that initial list. And it does sound like Koivunen and Pieneniemi are coming over.

Reactions: Jacob

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is Jelsma eligible for the AHL playoffs? I assume he is but I’m not sure why since he signed after the deadline.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Was O’Connor sent down last year after the Penguins were eliminated? I saw Puustinen was sent down and thought “that’s weird, I thought he’s a proven NHLer at this point”, but if O’Connor was sent down last year, I think I shouldn’t be surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad