AHL: WBS Penguins Thread: featuring Val Puus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Recap on last game - lost 1-0, Bellerive had a PP goal go in but the refs didn't see it and no video review so it didn't count

Justin Almeida-Jordy Bellerive-Nick Schilkey
Tim Schaller-Chase Berger-Kyle Olson
Felix Robert-Jonathan Gruden-Jan Drozg
Luke Stevens-Zach Nastasiuk-Sam Miletic

Jon Lizotte-Will Reilly
Cam Lee-Billy Sweezey
Kevin Czuczman-Josh Maniscalco

Lagace

edit:

Also

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I swear the WBS games keep changing. Today's game has been changed from vs. LHV at 7 to vs. Binghamton at 6.

Third jerseys look nice.

Can't help but laugh at the Devils goalie's name. Announcer keeps pronouncing it at "Meat Ends".

I've got absolutely no clue how Miletic was an All Star last season. Guess each team needed a rep.

Damn dude. Devils on the PP, made a cross ice pass to a player who had an absolute open net. Not sure what the goalie was doing. 1-0 BING.

Now the announcer is calling the BING goalie "Mittens".

Haven't seen Almeida play in a while.

Odd play with Olson on the forecheck. White went down hard and looked injured. BING's Bahl (hahahaha) wanted to fight Olson, who did not oblige. Bahl way bigger than Olson.

BING trying to rough up the Pens but take a penalty. Pens to the PP. No Lee playing today, so let's see how this goes. Not much going on there. But BING just launches the puck into the stands. Short 5 on 3. 3 seconds. Back to the 5 on 4. DOC takes a penalty. 4 on 4 for a 1:19.

Penalty killed. Few minutes later, Robert drives to the net (without the puck) and Bahl interferes with him. Penalty drawn.

POJ with a slapshot from the point that creates a rebound to DOC, who then tapped it to Scahller (who was the screen on the POJ shot) for an empty netter. Nice play. 1-1.

Shift after the goal, Robert gets slipper and almost gets a nice pass off to Gruden(?). Next shift the Pens get yet another chance -- Czman basically in the crease but the puck stays out.

BING Bahl not really having a pleasant period.

End 1.

----------

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Curious about this Nappier kid. College FA but only signed to an AHL deal- but it’s 3 years, which I’ve never heard of before.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Curious about this Nappier kid. College FA but only signed to an AHL deal- but it’s 3 years, which I’ve never heard of before.

Not having a good second...

----------

Start 2.

Minute or two in, Schaller takes a slashing penalty.

Currie takes the puck up the boards on the PK, the BING D-man falls, Currie keeps going and then sets up Lizotte for a shorty goal. 2-1 Pens.

Gruden improving throughout the season and getting more and more responsibility. Have seen him on the PK and PP in recent games. This might be his first game at center. At least of the games I've seen.

Something goofy going on with my stream. Can't even tell how much I've missed cause the feed doesn't even have the game clock up.

Almeida looks smaller than Robert. Robert-Gruden-Drozg now a line. Robert getting into it post whistle in front of the BING net.

I was walking to my kitchen to get a snack and BING scored. 2-2 now. Sounded like it was a poor goal to give up.

Went back to the kitchen to put my stuff in the sink and now it's 3-2 BING. lol

Was making popcorn and now it's 4-2 hahaha. Gotta pull this goalie, but they play again tomorrow.

Robert dumped the puck in and a BING player thought he was going to lay out Robert. Robert laid out the BING player instead. Nice strength.

Reilly robbed of a goal by a forward or d-man blocking a shot in the crease.

Having some feed issues. Gonna try to "rewind" to get back to see what I missed.

Got it, I think. Sweezey takes an interference penalty with about 2 minutes left in the period. Currie takes the puck into the o-zone and draws a penalty. Having a real good game on the PK.

End 2.

Last edited:

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I swear the WBS games keep changing. Today's game has been changed from vs. LHV at 7 to vs. Binghamton at 6.

Third jerseys look nice.

Can't help but laugh at the Devils goalie's name. Announcer keeps pronouncing it at "Meat Ends".

I've got absolutely no clue how Miletic was an All Star last season. Guess each team needed a rep.

Damn dude. Devils on the PP, made a cross ice pass to a player who had an absolute open net. Not sure what the goalie was doing. 1-0 BING.

Now the announcer is calling the BING goalie "Mittens".

Haven't seen Almeida play in a while.

Odd play with Olson on the forecheck. White went down hard and looked injured. BING's Bahl (hahahaha) wanted to fight Olson, who did not oblige. Bahl way bigger than Olson.

BING trying to rough up the Pens but take a penalty. Pens to the PP. No Lee playing today, so let's see how this goes. Not much going on there. But BING just launches the puck into the stands. Short 5 on 3. 3 seconds. Back to the 5 on 4. DOC takes a penalty. 4 on 4 for a 1:19.

Penalty killed. Few minutes later, Robert drives to the net (without the puck) and Bahl interferes with him. Penalty drawn.

POJ with a slapshot from the point that creates a rebound to DOC, who then tapped it to Scahller (who was the screen on the POJ shot) for an empty netter. Nice play. 1-1.

Shift after the goal, Robert gets slipper and almost gets a nice pass off to Gruden(?). Next shift the Pens get yet another chance -- Czman basically in the crease but the puck stays out.

BING Bahl not really having a pleasant period.

End 1.

----------

Who is Olsen?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Who is Olsen?

AHL only signing. Currently a 4th liner, sometimes 3rd:

Kyle Olson at eliteprospects.com

Yeah, what @Peat said.

----------

Start 3

I've apparently found a bird's eye feed without any announcers. At least this feed isn't stuttering.

Looks like Currie got tripped in the o-zone. WBS might have a PP coming up. Yep! Eh, not looking so great as they can't even get control of it in the o-zone. Looked like it was their Second Unit that started it. And Schilkey takes a slashing penalty. 4 on 4 for a bit.

Schaller got a partial breakaway on the PK and drew a penalty. Back to 4 on 4. Schilkey back on. Brief PP time for WBS. A little back and forth between Currie and POJ, Currie then walks in and snipes one. 4-3.

Ugh, BING scores almost right after. Almeida lost his assignment on the point, who walked in with a good chance, whose rebound then created another few chances before BING scored. 5-3 BING.

Now some rough stuff behind the WBS after the goalie freezes it. From this angle I can't really make out the numbers. I'm assuming Bellerive though. Still couldn't tell, but it looks like only BING is going to the box. WBS to the PP again.

DOC with a nice pass to Bellerive who is almost in the slot. Can't capitalize on his shot though as the MeatEnds makes a save and holds on. And then Currie throws some ungloved punches at the stoppage. Didn't really look like the BING player wanted to go, but it's still a 5 on 4 for the Pens. Was called a mutual roughing on both players... but I really don't think it should have been. Penalty killed. Even strength.

MeatEnds with another big stop, this time on Schilkey. BING with a turnover to Drozg who dangles but MeatEnds steps up again.

Big hit along the boards by a BING player. Couldn't tell who they hit, but WBS didn't like it. No penalty though. This shift after the icing has been rough. Not sure if WBS was able to get anyone off for a change, but they just iced it again. Winning that faceoff sure helped.

Not much of note going on for the last few minutes of play. 3 minutes left and WBS still down by 2.

Goalie pulled with 3 minutes left. POJ slips retrieving the puck but luckily nothing comes of it. 1:30 left, no real good opportunities yet. WBS with the timeout.

Annnd BING finally scores on the EN. 6-3 with 37 seconds left.

Game.

----------

Some thoughts:

Nappier with a rough debut. I hope Robert's size doesn't deter the Rons in Pittsburgh from giving him an NHL contract. He's got strength and feistiness. Gruden keeps improving. Reilly got bumped up to the top pairing with POJ and this is the first game I didn't see him make a bad pinch. I'd much rather see Reilly get NHL time than Weber. Same with Lizotte over Czuczman, but Lizotte would need an NHL contract. DOC the best all-around offensive forward WBS has, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
WBS to play again tonight at 7 PM ET. Syracuse, I think.

Not sure how observant I'll be for tonight's game. May not even watch the whole thing.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
And you call yourself a fan.

To be fair, I never said that.

---------

2-0 SYR with 5 minutes left. POJ had a nice give and go with Bellerive on the first shift that almost resulted in a goal. WBS was dominating the period until SYR scored. Has been downhill since then.

SYR's second goal came after WBS had a great shift but then Lee whiffed on a point shot to send SYR on a breakaway. They didn't score on it, but made a few passes just after it to score.

I think I'll go eat some pretzels, put on a movie, and continue assembling my Baby Yoda Lego set. :laugh:

2-0, end of 1. Yeah, I'm done for today. Go Pens!

Last edited:
Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Next season’s baby Pens will be one of the more interesting squads in recent memory with Puustinen, Legare, Poulin, plus other returnees.

Will they all be coming over? I would think at this stage Bjorkqvist would be coming over too.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Recap on last game - lost 1-0, Bellerive had a PP goal go in but the refs didn't see it and no video review so it didn't count

Justin Almeida-Jordy Bellerive-Nick Schilkey
Tim Schaller-Chase Berger-Kyle Olson
Felix Robert-Jonathan Gruden-Jan Drozg
Luke Stevens-Zach Nastasiuk-Sam Miletic

Jon Lizotte-Will Reilly
Cam Lee-Billy Sweezey
Kevin Czuczman-Josh Maniscalco

Lagace

edit:

Also

GET OFF THE COURSE HIPPY!

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
WBS Pens play again tomorrow, I think in the afternoon. I won't be able to watch.

Of the players/prospects I've seen play this season for WBS I think I'd group them in 3 tiers -- Tier 1 being the top, Tier 3 being the bottom, and unlisted players are ones I don't consider prospects. This is mostly skills based (basically "wow factors"), as I think Bellerive is more likely an NHLer than Drozg, but you'll see I rank Drozg higher in the tiers.

Tier 1: Zohorna, Lee, DOC, POJ

Tier 2: Robert, Drozg, Gruden, Reilly, Maniscalco

Tier 3: Bellerive, Miletic, Lizotte, Almeida, D'Orio

n/a, so far: Nappier

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So if they wanted to offer Robert an NHL deal would it have to be a standard ELC? Or can it just be like a 1 year two-way deal? Not sure if the AHL-only deal negates the necessity of the ELC. I guess probably not.

As an ELC I think it would be 2 years based on his age.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So if they wanted to offer Robert an NHL deal would it have to be a standard ELC? Or can it just be like a 1 year two-way deal? Not sure if the AHL-only deal negates the necessity of the ELC. I guess probably not.

As an ELC I think it would be 2 years based on his age.

Standard ELC, I think he has to be over 22 for it to be a 2 year?

Reactions: Jacob

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Tonight's lines:

Schaller-DOC-Angello
Gruden-Currie-Olson
Robert-Bellerive-Schilkey
Almeida-Berger-Drozg

POJ-Lizotte
Lee-MacPherson
Czuczman-Reilly

D'Orio-Nappier

Drozg had a really nice opportunity about a yard in front of the net, but wasted it because he's allergic to his backhand.

POJ with a nice hip check on some player that looks way bigger than him. Yeah, that was 6'6" 220# Protas he hit.

Gruden throws it back to the slot and got a real lucky bounce. 3-2 Pens. First goal I've seen as I missed the game up til 19 minutes left in the 2nd.

POJ handling the puck and skating quite well. Basically a free entry into the o-zone when he skates end to end.

Really nice play by the Bears for a shorty. Tied game.

Currie scores on a 5 on 3. He's got a real nice shot when he's given enough time.

Haha what an odd screen on Lizotte's goal just now. Olson was shoved down and went sliding on the ice in front of the goal as Lizotte shot it. 5-3 Pens.

Lizotte blindsided on a late hit, but not injured. POJ tried to fight that player but they backed away. And then Lizotte leveled someone after they shot it. No penalties.

Line 1 has had a lot of good shifts and chances. They finally get on the board on an Angello goal. 6-3.

Pens win.

Last edited:
Reactions: tom_servo

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Schaller-DOC-Angello
Gruden-Currie-Olson
Miletic-Bellerive-Schilkey
Almeida-Berger-Drozg

POJ-Lizotte
Lee-Macpherson
Czuczman-Reilly

D'Orio-Nappier

DOC with a nice play to save a goal on the first shift.

Gruden on the next shift showing off some moves. Made a nifty pass. Then had a dangle. He's gotten better with every game.

POJ continuing his silky smooth skating ways.

D'Orio holding the fort.

Miletic must only be noticeable when he's on a line with Bellerive??

1-0 Phantoms. I missed it.

Reilly just stepped up big on someone. Might have been a headshot. Play stopped. He managed to skate off but goes to the locker room. Odd. No penalty was called on the play. But now Reilly is going to the box after play was halted.

Shifts later that player comes back and just fights/assaults Reilly. Pens to the PP. Had a few chances, but no go. Still 1-0 at the end of the 1st.

start 2

Someone tried to hit Bellerive while he was circling behind the Phantoms goal and he wasn't having any of that.

POJ takes a holding penalty. PK seems to be doing well, though.

D'Orio looks way better than Larmi. And with WBS signing Nappier, I think Larmi is done in the organization. Just a hunch.

But for real, this is the first game in a long time that Miletic has done anything of note.

I know he's not playing today, but Robert's game has become less and less noticeable. Certainly coincides with Zohorna going to the NHL.

Schaller intercepts an aerial pass with his stick, which causes the puck to go straight up, and then he heads it forward. :laugh:

Gruden draws a penalty after D'Orio holds the fort again. Still 1-0, end of two.

start 3

No dice on that PP. 17 minutes in, Drozg dangles and is tripped. Pens to the PP. Haha, Drozg draws another penalty. 5 on 3 for about a 1:40. Puck nearly goes out of the zone, but Angello keeps it in, skates in and snipes one. 1-1!

PensBurgh recently said they think Reilly will be taking the long development path (a la Engelland) to the NHL. I don't see that at all. I don't think they're watching WBS games.

Pens with a big kill, one which included D'Orio having a big save.

Phantoms just had like a 2 minute shift cycling in the Pens zone. Very surprised no timeout was taken after that icing. Had a number of failed/flubbed clears. Finally was able to get a change.

Wowwwwww, Gruden with a nasty deke and almost scored.

Heading to OT.

DOC tried to do a bit too much and lost the puck. But then fought like hell to get it back (he got it back).

POJ with a long shift. Hits Currie for a stretch pass who misses but gets his rebound. Then feeds Schaller for a cross ice one timer goal. Pens win 2-1! D'Orio had 41 saves on his 22nd birthday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat and tom_servo

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Randy “Butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth” Nubs FTW!

Good stuff! How did my lucky charm Angello luck outside of the goal?

Honestly, in all the WBS games I've seen him play in, not that noticeable. He pretty much looks the same in WBS as he does in the NHL. It's just that his skills are more distinguishable in the AHL given the drop in talent. Yet he's at a point per game. I'd say he's the third wheel on his line, but they have been creating opportunities fairly consistently.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Glad to hear Gruden is looking somewhat more decent. I imagine he gets the old Sully 3 game try out at some point.

Crazy that DOC has only got into 13 games, but being a PPG in the AHL means we might have a solid player on our hands there once he's able to step up. It'd be nice if he can swap in for ZAR next year.

Reactions: Darren McCord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad