AHL: WBS Penguins Thread: featuring Val Puus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I know some AHL guys have made a lot of money on the AHL side of their deals for a long time but I didn’t realize how prevalent it’s gotten. Trotman makes $400k in the AHL. Gaudreau $350k. Not much consistency to it because other similar guys make $150k, like Weber. All make $700k (current league minimum) on the NHL side.

Reactions: steelcityassault

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I know some AHL guys have made a lot of money on the AHL side of their deals for a long time but I didn’t realize how prevalent it’s gotten. Trotman makes $400k in the AHL. Gaudreau $350k. Not much consistency to it because other similar guys make $150k, like Weber. All make $700k (current league minimum) on the NHL side.
Even some fan favorite AHL guys in the past 5 years have made upwards of 100k because they'll actually bring in some ticket and fan revenue, etc. (quite an upgrade from $350/week in the ECHL)

Reactions: Jacob

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Pens already down 1-0. I missed it but rewound.

This camera angle sucks though.

Devils threw it to the net with Clarke wide open in the net for the rebound. D'Orio not with the greatest rebound though.

Gruden improving. He set up DOC on a 3 on 2 but he couldn't finish. Robert is the third player on that line.

Olson set up Bellerive for a one timer but couldn't finish.

The players in this game are flying. Could be the camera angle though?

Cam Lee with a questionable pinch, but there was a forward back for him.

Maniscalco with a failed one timer that was blocked. Went the other way for a 2 on 1, but Czman and Dorio were up to the task.

DOC poked a puck at his own blue line that then sent his line on a nice shift.

POJ with a murphy dump from his own net. Slowed down just enough to avoid an icing.

Gruden-DOC-Robert the best Pens line so far. Only 9 minutes in.

Wowwwww, some silky moves by Lee that almost led to a goal for.

Dorio with a reflex shoulder save on a redirect.

POJ with a huge open ice hit. Nice. Uh, what? They're calling it a penalty? Calling a penalty on Lizotte for some reason? So confusing.

Penalty killed. Devils hit a post about 10 seconds in it though. Dorio left a lot of room above his left shoulder. Shooter had plenty of room.

Drozg gets the puck along the right boards, brings it across the blue line for a 2 on 1, slowed down a lot, stick handled a bit, shot and scored. 1-1

Haha, Lee just bullied someone in the corner and came away with the puck. First time I've seen that all season.

POJ moved over damn quickly (laterally) to cover for Lizotte and made an easy poke check.

Pens to the PP. Devils with a broken stick. Devils clear, kinda. But that's enough to end the period. They have about 70 seconds left at the start of the 2nd.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Gruden took the opening faceoff of the period while on the PP. Thought that was peculiar.

No goal on the PP.

Can't tell if Maniscalco tried to fight someone. But the Devils player threw a punch. This, after Maniscalco broke his stick over that player's back a la cross check.

To the PK! Ha, Clarke hits the post again. Berger with a great PK. Held the puck along the boards behind the Devils net surrounded by 4 players. Next shift Nastasiuk with a nice curl and drag shot. Maniscalco out, but Devils hit the post again.

Cam Lee may have saved a goal. Was a 2 on 1 against but he skated hard enough to get back.

I don't know what's happening because sometimes AHLTv throws up graphics on the screen that cover the entire ice...

Ew, I just noticed there's a WaWa ad on the boards.

Figures, I haven't really noticed the DOC line since I complimented them last.

Lee with more skating a stick handling. Leads to a good deflection chance.

The same guy POJ crushed just got crushed by Olson.

Ah shit, Schaller looks to be injured. Knee? Did the splits after a Devils stick got in that gap in his skate and tripped him. I think he got off on his own power.

Looks like Drozg took Robert's place with Gruden and DOC. Devils player just grabs Lizotte and is surprised they're penalized.

To the PP! Struggling to control the puck right now. Lee tripped while taking the puck out. 5 on 3 for almost a minute.

Currie kicked out of the draw but Schaller wins it. Currie blasts a shot but it's blocked. Gets it back and send it to Schilkey who scores. 2-1 Pens.

Second PP killed.

Drozg with some hands to set up Miletic, maybe not him (it was Berger), for a near tap in. 5 minutes left in the 2nd.

Schilkey with a slapper after a nice forecheck by Currie and Schaller. He missed and probably should've set up Lee instead.

Robert to the 4th line for some reason? But they're having a nice shift. And Robert just missed on a feed from Berger. All that started a bit ago thanks to a huge stretch pass by either POJ or Lizotte (I was typing at that time).

Olson boarded. His head definitely got crunched. Seems to be "okay". Pens to go to the PP.

And then DOC takes a penalty via high stick almost immediately.

And that's it for the 2nd. 2-1 Pens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Bellerive dropped his gloves and kinda threw a punch. No penalties though.

Oh man, Miletic with a nice forecheck and a little dish to Berger. Couldn't bury it.

The camera work for this period has been atrocious so far.

Czman slides across to break up a Devils play and takes a puck or stick to the face. Gets back up though.

The shift after, the Devils turn it over to Robert who almost got a wrap around goal.

DOC with some dangles.

Pens lose a dzone faceoff and their assignments and let the Devils get a real good chance. Looked like the Devils player had the stick slashed out of his hands but no penalty called on that. But now Bellerive takes a roughing penalty. Could barely see any of this thanks to the camera.

Ah man, Gruden had a short handed breakaway but the Devils goalie had a nice glove save.

Penalty killed.

Game starting to look like the first few minutes of the 1st period. Furious few shifts there.

Drozg set up DOC a few times this shift. Then DOC pulled a power move on a semi breakaway. Didn't score, but that line kept the puck in and drew a penalty. Drozg was held up.

PP! [they just mentioned POJ has two assists in this game, did not realize that] Ah man, Bellerive walked it in short side and hit the post. Annnnd then the Pens were robbed with a glove save. What. A. Save. Currie robbed.

Ugh, Lee sets up Schilkey who hits the post and then the puck lays there but doesn't go in. Lee skated that in and then found Schilkey.

PP over.

WHO IS IN CHARGE OF THIS CAMERA?!

Maniscalco with a bad icing. Forwards are tired. Berger won the faceoff. Then the Devils make a hand pass to get the Pens a whistle.

Devils almost get a breakaway but the puck bounced too much. Not sure how that player got behind everyone.

POJ just boofed a point shot. No harm no foul.

I now see why the camera work is so bad. It's two people in a scissor lift at center ice about 2 feet from the penalty box and maybe 6 feet above it.

I missed it, but DOC took a tripping penalty. 5 minutes left in the 3rd.

PK time. Nice block by Berger. Phew, Devils almost had a real good chance in the slot. Berger and Olson got there to clear it. Killed.

Ugh, Schilkey with a nice shot whose rebound goes to Robert who has an open net. But he can't finish it.
About 2 minutes left. Devils take a timeout.

Oh come on. Currie tried to clear it/shoot it from behind his net into the empty net. But the Devils stop it at the blue line and set up a goal... 2-2. Minute and a half left.

To overtime we go.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
OT start

Devils win the opening FO. POJ breaks up a play and Schilkey goes the other way. POJ recollects. DOC shoots wide and Devils get it.

Devils re-organize. Schilkey blocks a shot and the puck goes out.

Currie loses the FO. Devils holding on to the puck. Devils re-group in their own zone.

Time has passed. Devils still have it and keep re-grouping.

Lizotte looks gassed. Devils yet again re-group.

Gruden and DOC take the puck away finally. POJ carries it in. Pens tired and want a change. Pens re-group. Currie gets it and has his shot saved but the puck goes out. O-zone faceoff.

Bellerive loses the FO. Clarke (Devils) dangles and almost scores. Puck goes the other way.

AND BELLERIVE SCORES! Short side. Pens win.

----------------------

Thoughts:
  • DOC looks competent at center.
  • The announcer was saying Maniscalco was having himself a good game. But I thought he was just okay.
  • Best game I've seen from Lee in a while.
  • Schaller is probably an NHLer somewhere, but probably not with the Pens. Skating likely isn't what the Pens want.
  • POJ quietly with 2 assists. Also been playing physical.
  • I'm definitely thinking Robert should be getting a two-way deal. Hopefully with the Pens.
  • As with Robert, I'm hoping Lizotte gets a two-way deal. I like him way more than Trotman and Czuczman.
  • Bellerive was feisty in this one. And the announcer said that 11 of his 19 AHL goals have come in the 3rd or OT.
  • Miletic just exists.
  • Jan Drozg certainly has skill. Hopefully it all starts to come together.
  • Gruden keeps improving. And he's playing on both special teams and is also taking some draws. And is only 20 years old.
  • D'Orio with his first AHL win. Looked very calm in this.
  • The Devils goalie played a heck of a game.
  • No clue where Schilkey came from but he may be their best forward.
And I think that's it.

Last edited:

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
How soon do you think Bellerive will break into the NHL? His style seems similar to what Burke and Hextall like.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Either. Depends what the team wants him to do. I'm leaning towards wing, though.

And let's be clear here, I don't know enough about the detailed stuff in hockey. But I do feel like I've got a good grasp on prospect trajectory and how they're playing (when I actually get to watch them).

Are you referring to those goofy multi colored charts that show a whole lot of meaningless numbers?????

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
No, those I'm finally understanding. Smaller stuff like details in skating. And I think I saw @Jacob mention something about hand positioning on sticks for faceoffs. So, lots of stuff like that.

All of this hyper focus on specialized training with skating, shooting, stick handling ect..........really has helped in destroying the game. Ironic isn't it?

The sport was much better at a slower pace, where players had time to get creative. Now it's a spastic 40 second shift, played at breakneck speed.........

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
All games on AHLTV will be free this Saturday. Meaning the WBS game is free. Would be nice to have some more eyes on the players. Especially since I think I'll be having some brews.

Reactions: Jacob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad