AHL: WBS Penguins Thread: featuring Val Puus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Bumping for this reason:

"Details: AHLTV account is required, no purchase necessary to open an AHLTV account. Visit the Schedule Page and click on the game you wish to watch after logging in to your AHLTV account.

AHLTV Support can be reached via email at [email protected]."

Game is at 7PM ET.

are they going to be utilizing the camera from Mars again? If so...hard pass.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
My favorite AHL angle is the extreme zoom-in so you can only see a couple players partially in the frame.

In the games I've watched this season, there's been multiple times throughout the game where they just put some graphic on the screen that covers up the actual gameplay...

Anyway, puck drop in 30 minutes.

Reactions: Jacob

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Thanks Taylor.

Top two lines should be pretty good. Third and fourth not so bad either. Third D pairing is... yeah that might be an issue.

I'd like to see POJ get lined up on the right. But he and Lizotte seemingly switch without issue.

Their arena looks pretty nice.

Nice chance on the first shift the the Z line and POJ pairing. Lizotte was in front of the net on a broken play but couldn't put it home.

Oh yeah, D'Orio in net again.

Lizotte went for a big hit along the boards. Got it, but there was like no one left on D. Currie stopped the pass going across the ice but it bounced back to the Phantoms player for, essentially, a tap in.

D'Orio has got a nice pixel art mask.

Z wins a d-zone faceoff. Robert gets it on the RW boards up the ice, Z takes it from him who drives to the net, who almost set up DOC.

Set faceoff play from the same line. Z won the faceoff back to the D, who got it to the net, whose rebound went to Robert for a goal. Nice.

Gruden quietly having a nice season. Just got a nice shot off after getting in in the NZone.

Z with another faceoff. Kicked out. DOC lost it. OZone though. I'll try to pay more attention on faceoff wins.

Please sign Robert to a two-way deal. I'm not saying he's Martin St. Louis, but he looks very competent.

Pens to the PP. It's their top PP unit on, but I think they looked better with Lee on instead of POJ at the start of the season. But POJ is their #1, so...... Still scored though on a cross ice pass from Z haha. It was DOC for the goal. Was mid change on the units. 2-1 Pens.

Ah, goofy deflection/rebound that went the opposite direction that D'Orio was going. 2-2.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We never got to see O’Connor’s shot in the NHL but it’s pretty slick. Release, velocity, fair amount of accuracy, doesn’t give anything away in his body language.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
We never got to see O’Connor’s shot in the NHL but it’s pretty slick. Release, velocity, fair amount of accuracy, doesn’t give anything away in his body language.

The type of details I'm not yet noticing. Or not yet being able to describe. Like, I know his shot looks good. CC @Coastal Kev

Robert not weak on the boards. And this DOC-Z-Robert line looks good. Like I thought it would. I'm learning.

Also, Lee looking way more confident and competent on the defensive side of things. This, for the last few games I've seen him. His o-side of things have been muted, but I'm assuming he's focusing on one thing.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure if I see Zohorna or Bellerive as centers at the NHL level, though it’d be nice to see faceoff stats in the AHL, but I think it’s good to have them play C since it’s no trouble to switch to wing and gives them more defensive responsibilities and on those occasions where they’re the high forward they won’t be lost if they have to assume the center role.

Same goes for Poulin. I say just throw him him in at C in the AHL when he’s available. Best case scenario he sticks at a position of need, worst case a shift back to wing is easy.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Not sure if I see Zohorna or Bellerive as centers at the NHL level, though it’d be nice to see faceoff stats in the AHL, but I think it’s good to have them play C since it’s no trouble to switch to wing and gives them more defensive responsibilities and on those occasions where they’re the high forward they won’t be lost if they have to assume the center role.

Same goes for Poulin. I say just throw him him in at C in the AHL when he’s available. Best case scenario he sticks at a position of need, worst case a shift back to wing is easy.

I certainly see Z being an NHL center moreso than B. And from what I've noticed, Z is also better on the faceoffs. Likely due to size and leverage. Still, like you said, having players become cognizant of the C responsibilities isn't a bad thing.

Oh hell yeah, POJ goal. Post and in (off the goalie's mask first). Out of the box and on the board. 3-2.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Watching. Can't say I'm taking in too much but

- Zohorna and Robert are the two guys whose skill is obviously a level above.
- DOC has a really nice shot (POJ's goal was even nicer)
- Bellerive seems to chase the puck a lot

It's crazy to me how often players seem to simply go straight through neutral, in against two dmen, and try a shot from between the circles.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The PP is certainly different than the NHL team’s. The entries are the same but Forrest/Porter put lefties on the left and righties on the right and there’s no time wasted in terms of shots, even low percentage ones.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Minute and a half into the 2nd. No clue how the puck stayed out of the WBS net.

Also, just opened me a 11% beer. No clue how useful I'll be on observations. Can't be for much longer. :laugh:

Had to change to the Phantoms feed since my WBS one stopped working.

13 min left. Lee likely just got robbed by a shoulder.

Phantoms announcer speaking way faster than the WBS one. Makes it seem like the play is much more frantic than it is.

DOC goofed on an offensive 4 on 2. Whiffed on a shot/didn't pass to an open Z.

Drozg bumped up to the 3rd line with Miletic and Bellerive.

Lizotte or POJ with an unlucky pass that hit Z on the skate. And then went the other way for a Phantoms breakaway. No goal, though.

Phantoms with another breakaway. They somehow didn't score. Can't tell if D'Orio saved it or the guy missed his shot.

Z upset on a faceoff and was kicked out. Robert won it though. I said I'd do better on noticing the faceoffs, but literally forgot to do so after I wrote that.

We're gonna hate Wisdom when he's in Philly. But good on that dude.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You wouldn't have to stage a photo all that much to persuade me Zohorna is twice the size of Robert.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Drozg on the turnover! 4-2, Pens. Dude is putting it together. @steelcityassault

You wouldn't have to stage a photo all that much to persuade me Zohorna is twice the size of Robert.

MV5BMWUzN2VkY2ItYmQ4YS00MjFmLWJhZDQtYWY1NWQ2NTA5NDNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDc2NjEyMw@@._V1_.jpg

Lizotte with not the greatest defensive job on that goal. 4-3.

Now, as I was typing that, someone got lit up. Gruden killed someone?

Just saw it. Really wasn't that bad. Good on Gruden though.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Both teams coaches are in a battle to see who can wear their mask the worst!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I hadn't noticed Drozg at all until he scored but that was a damn nice shot.

Bellerive's a sturdy enough guy. Saw DOC do a couple of nice things.

I really want Robert to make it. I don't know if he's got the size and speed to be an NHLer - got eased off of on breakaway opportunity - but he's like a buzzsaw, and I think he's probably got the hands and vision for the show. If he's good enough to make the show he'll get a game on Sid's line some point, his game screams Sid (most people here will probably hate him after five games on Sid's line but still). He's just a very entertaining guy to watch, and there's some interesting upside there.

I'd like to see Zohorna on a two-way third line that is facing other bottom six lines in the NHL for a good spell.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I hadn't noticed Drozg at all until he scored but that was a damn nice shot.

Bellerive's a sturdy enough guy. Saw DOC do a couple of nice things.

I really want Robert to make it. I don't know if he's got the size and speed to be an NHLer - got eased off of on breakaway opportunity - but he's like a buzzsaw, and I think he's probably got the hands and vision for the show. If he's good enough to make the show he'll get a game on Sid's line some point, his game screams Sid (most people here will probably hate him after five games on Sid's line but still). He's just a very entertaining guy to watch, and there's some interesting upside there.

I'd like to see Zohorna on a two-way third line that is facing other bottom six lines in the NHL for a good spell.

1. Kinda hard to do with the fourth liners he's with... but... why's he [Drozg] been dropped to the fourth line? The announcer in the pre-game seemed to think it was just to spread the skill-wealth.

2a. Bellerive's shown flashes. For now I don't seem him more than a 4th liner. Potential for more. He could be a Cousins-type player, who our board has recently had an infatuation with.

2b. Still pretty new to that body of his [DOC]. And still very new to pro hockey. It's actually quite impressive he made the NHL out of college, essentially. To me, that means he's got his defensive side of things up to NHL par. As we saw with the NHL, he's still got to figure out the offensive side of things. And from what I've seen from him in the AHL, it's just a matter of time of it coming all together. Nice signing.

3. Didn't think of Robert on anything higher than the 3rd NHL line, but yes I can see that. He's got work to do, which is why he went undrafted. Still, I'm very encouraged by what he's done so far.

4. Yes.

Maniscalco less noticeable tonight. Which is actually better than last game. As in, more noticeable last game because of more mistakes.

Well f***. Pens let up another late game tying goal. I saw that Lee was on for that shift, but he is one of two (Maniscalco being the other) d-man who shouldn't be on for that. Not that anything he did was wrong on that goal. It just leads me to believe that it's a coaching thing for these late goals.

D'Orio has looked way less calm and confident this game. Could be because the Phantoms have like 10 more shots than the Devils.

Z won the first OT FO. Pens still have possession about 40 seconds in. DOC (?) with a shot that is blocked and goes out. Currie with an ozone FO. Wins to Schaller. Curried kinda to the slot with a shot blocked in the shin pads. Phantoms take it and almost score. D'Orio might have done the splits to keep it out.

WBS re-group. B-Drozg-Lizz. Cycle on. Lose it. Drozg back with it. Shot and miss. Z out there now. DOC too with POJ. Phantoms barely miss on a curl and drag. Wow. Z set up POJ with a huge slapshot that was blocked and was almost a breakaway. No clue how it wasn't.

Phantoms dangle but no luck. WBS has it. Currie loan [haha] man back. Nah, Schilkey back too. Everyone's tired. 30 seconds left. Lee to Drozg. Drozg keeps handling. Creates a chance with Lizotte, I think. But no dice. Two seconds left. Likely to the SO.

How dare Z lose that FO with 2 seconds left in the ozone!

But yeah, fun OT.

LHV scores on D'Orio.
WBS misses (DOC).
LHV stopped.
WBS lost control of the puck (Drozg).
LHV barely stopped.
WBS stopped (Z).

LHV win.

Lame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
1. Kinda hard to do with the fourth liners he's with... but... why's he [Drozg] been dropped to the fourth line? The announcer in the pre-game seemed to think it was just to spread the skill-wealth.

2a. Bellerive's shown flashes. For now I don't seem him more than a 4th liner. Potential for more. He could be a Cousins-type player, who our board has recently had an infatuation with.

2b. Still pretty new to that body of his [DOC]. And still very new to pro hockey. It's actually quite impressive he made the NHL out of college, essentially. To me, that means he's got his defensive side of things up to NHL par. As we saw with the NHL, he's still got to figure out the offensive side of things. And from what I've seen from him in the AHL, it's just a matter of time of it coming all together. Nice signing.

3. Didn't think of Robert on anything higher than the 3rd NHL line, but yes I can see that. He's got work to do, which is why he went undrafted. Still, I'm very encouraged by what he's done so far.

4. Yes.

1. Drozg will either bounce between lines frustratingly in WBS, flashing nice highlights but never producing consistently with occasional dark mutterings of lack of detail to play, or he'll one day put it together and be a useful scoring NHL third liner in about four months. That's my guess. And I'm guessing the detail/overconfidence/consistency might be why he's on the 4th.

2a. Bellerive's control on a loose puck in OT was impressive. He's got physicality. Would hesitate to give a ceiling or projection on that showing.

2b. DOC clearly looked less confident/assertive in OT than Zohorna. I also think he didn't gain much separation in this game, which was an NHL problem too (although possibly on line mates). So yeah, if he can figure out how to get that space and assert in the offensive zone, that'd be cool.

3. 3rd line should be Robert's ceiling, yeah. Impressed me though.

edit: Would add that D'Orio has NHL athleticism, we'll find out if he has NHL tbh rest of it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad