WBS Penguins 2015-16 season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I skimmed the game and couldn't find any mention of Murray not being dressed, so I think you're right.

I don't know what to make of the DeSmith situation, I thought he'd get the lion's share of starts with Jarry out, but I hadn't realized how little he was being used by Wheeling.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Murray with another spectacular performance. Making thirty-two saves while allowing only one goal. Sundqvist recorded two assists and Uher scored two goals. Local boy, Patrick McGrath had a scrap against Mark Fraser.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Any update on Pouliot's defensive game from those who watch the team play?

I was perusing the line-ups posted here and saw that Pooh was paired with Clendening while Olesky was out. Thought that was interesting, since that's a potential pairing that could translate to the NHL.

Looking at the boxscore, it seems they did fine, but those offer pretty limited info. Did anyone catch either of those games this past weekend?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I was perusing the line-ups posted here and saw that Pooh was paired with Clendening while Olesky was out. Thought that was interesting, since that's a potential pairing that could translate to the NHL.

Looking at the boxscore, it seems they did fine, but those offer pretty limited info. Did anyone catch either of those games?

I was at the NYE game. Clendening looked like a guy who knew he'd be back in the NHL soon. He played well, but had no problem holding onto the puck and trying to dangle.

Poo was alright. He actually looked like he had a pulse in the D zone, but other than that I thought he was pretty average. On the PP he was moving the puck pretty well. Had a mistake when he flubbed a pass that ended up going out of the zone. That happens though. He jumped up in the play a few times and otherwise made himself available quite often. Overall, he wasn't a guy who was making people jump out of their seat, but he was still one of the better players on the ice.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I was at the NYE game. Clendening looked like a guy who knew he'd be back in the NHL soon. He played well, but had no problem holding onto the puck and trying to dangle.

Poo was alright. He actually looked like he had a pulse in the D zone, but other than that I thought he was pretty average. On the PP he was moving the puck pretty well. Had a mistake when he flubbed a pass that ended up going out of the zone. That happens though. He jumped up in the play a few times and otherwise made himself available quite often. Overall, he wasn't a guy who was making people jump out of their seat, but he was still one of the better players on the ice.

Thanks! I know several posters have stated they don't think Pooh-Clendening is a good idea, so I was curious when I saw them listed as a pairing.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Thanks! I know several posters have stated they don't think Pooh-Clendening is a good idea, so I was curious when I saw them listed as a pairing.

As a pair I thought they were quite good, especially in the offensive zone and in transition. Not sure how that would translate to the NHL but take that for what it's worth.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
As a pair I thought they were quite good, especially in the offensive zone and in transition. Not sure how that would translate to the NHL but take that for what it's worth.

If that would translate to the NHL ...

Maatta - Letang
Dumo - xxx
Pooh - Clendening

The big question then would be if Dumo - Daley would be a solid second pairing. If so, we might not have to make any other moves on D and could focus on upgrading the top 6 LW. Lot of 'ifs' though.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
In the last game I watched (I don't even remember which one or who the opponent was) Pouliot was pretty good. He had no points but probably could've had maybe 3 or 4 assists quite easily. Pretty much every time he broke the puck out it resulted in a decent-to-great chance off the rush for the forwards. No issues defensively either though he wasn't really put in any situations where he needed to do much defending. Like there was never a point where he had to neutralize a cycle or he was the last guy back on a 2-on-1.

His point totals were disappointing to me but after I watched the game I was less concerned. In addition to the offense he was creating but the team was not capitalizing on, the baby Pens have so many other puck-movers that Pouliot isn't really counted on to bring ALL the offense every night. Other guys seem to see PP time as well like O'Neill and Erixon (and I assume Warsofsky before he was called up).

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Matt Murray, Derrick Pouliot and Dominik Simon will represent the Baby Pens at the AHL All-Star Game Jan 31/Feb 1 in Syracuse. Murray is self-explanatory, Pouliot leads all WBS defensemen in scoring (15th place league-wide), and Simon is the league's top rookie scorer (12-17-29 in 34 gp).

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Jarry first game in net in a while, just came back from injury. 4-2 WBS win. Murray and Jarry both putting up godlike numbers in the AHL. Maybe in a few years they will be our 1A and 1B goalie with Fleury traded.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If that would translate to the NHL ...

Maatta - Letang
Dumo - xxx
Pooh - Clendening

The big question then would be if Dumo - Daley would be a solid second pairing. If so, we might not have to make any other moves on D and could focus on upgrading the top 6 LW. Lot of 'ifs' though.

I don't see Clendening being an everyday NHL dman.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I don't see Clendening being an everyday NHL dman.

Clendenning will be lucky to be a bottom pairing guy. Hes probably better than a handful of guys like Scuds that dont belong in the NHL but thats about it. Its why i laugh every time someone wrings their hands over his playing time. Yeah he ahould have played over Scuds when he was still a problem but thats about all you can say.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Clendenning will be lucky to be a bottom pairing guy. Hes probably better than a handful of guys like Scuds that dont belong in the NHL but thats about it. Its why i laugh every time someone wrings their hands over his playing time. Yeah he ahould have played over Scuds when he was still a problem but thats about all you can say.

Still better than Cole too.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'd like to see what they really have in Andersen at some point, he's been very good for WBS.

He's been a stabilizing presence down there and he handles the puck better than I thought he would.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'd like to see what they really have in Andersen at some point, he's been very good for WBS.

He's been a stabilizing presence down there and he handles the puck better than I thought he would.

Good to hear. I actually figured we'd have seen him up once or twice at this point owing to the team's poor depth on defense and the fact that he's already put his time in in competitive leagues and has that vaunted experience they seem to value so much. I just assumed he wasn't adapting well.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
He looked comfortable right away, probably due to his age and experience vs. how it usually is with young guys coming over.

I'd compare him to Jan Hedja stylistically, he's able to hold things down defensively so the puck movers can do their thing and take more risks.

WBS has been rotating their alternate captains this year and he's had an A a bunch of times.

Also, Scott Wilson's two goals last night put him at 18 for the year, best in the league.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd rather see Andersen up than continuing to see Lovejoy and Cole make multiple mistakes. I think an Andersen-Daley duo could be something decent for a 3rd pairing. Or I guess, a 2nd pairing on the Pens.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jarry first game in net in a while, just came back from injury. 4-2 WBS win. Murray and Jarry both putting up godlike numbers in the AHL. Maybe in a few years they will be our 1A and 1B goalie with Fleury traded.

Probably not. I see Murray possibly getting a back-up job next year if the team isn't still moronic with youth. I want to see Fleury play out his contract with the Pens and retire a Penguin. He's 32 and is having his best season yet. Goalies are weird like that, they can still be damn good #1 goaltenders well into their mid 30's.

There is absolutely no rush to throw Murray or Jarry in a situation where they would need to play 40+ games behind that kind of defense. Ease them in, I would rather see Murray get the back-up job and play 25-30 games next season, letting MAF play a little less to keep him fresher for the playoffs and it still allows Murray to get a fair amount of games in.

Increase it the following year in the 2017-18 season when MAF will be 33 going on 34 at the end of 2018.

Fleury's contract ends in the summer of 2019 - Murray will be 25, Jarry will be 24. By then, Jarry should have a few call-ups and a couple of years as the #1 in the AHL under his belt like Murray and Murray would be a guy with at least 2-3yrs of back-up/1B experience.

What's the rush? It's not like we are seeing terrible goaltending from Fleury, he bounced back in a huge way last year and this year he's playing even better hockey. That shouldn't mean "Let's trade him!" Because when you do that, you're going to see an exodus of talent to get younger, some want that, but you first need some decent young talent from within in addition to the ones you get from those vets you move.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
What's the rush? It's not like we are seeing terrible goaltending from Fleury, he bounced back in a huge way last year and this year he's playing even better hockey. That shouldn't mean "Let's trade him!" Because when you do that, you're going to see an exodus of talent to get younger, some want that, but you first need some decent young talent from within in addition to the ones you get from those vets you move.
the only chance we have to get talent is to make some trades and maf would be our best chip we have to move because we are going to be deep at great goal tending.
imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia