WBS Penguins 2015-16 season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Simon's stick is extremely long. He's also a really slick skater, in every facet. Good A-to-B speed, effortless, moves well laterally and no wasted upper body motion.

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Simon's stick is extremely long. He's also a really slick skater, in every facet. Good A-to-B speed, effortless, moves well laterally and no wasted upper body motion.

Who's he comparable to style wise? Louie Erickson??

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What's the difference between Archibald and Wilson? Why does one seem to be doing much better in the AHL (and thus getting the call-ups) than the other, despite both having similar college stats?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I was under the impression that Wilson had better scoring ability, while Archibald was more of a prototypical 3rd/4th liner.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
What's the difference between Archibald and Wilson? Why does one seem to be doing much better in the AHL (and thus getting the call-ups) than the other, despite both having similar college stats?

I think Wilson is more of a complete player than Archibald.

Archibald, somewhat similar to a Zucker, (although not as good) got a lot of his points in college simply because of his speed.

Archibald can get there if he can round out his game.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think Wilson is more of a complete player than Archibald.

Archibald, somewhat similar to a Zucker, (although not as good) got a lot of his points in college simply because of his speed.

Archibald can get there if he can round out his game.

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Is Archibald a goal scorer, then?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Ah, okay. Thanks.

Is Archibald a goal scorer, then?

I don't think so. I think he would project more as an energy, speedy third line, pest player. A north -south player.

He is very inconsistent right now, but he does have the requisite tools imo, but he has to put them all together.

I would say, think Tyler Kennedy.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think so. I think he would project more as an energy, speedy third line, pest player. A north -south player.

He is very inconsistent right now, but he does have the requisite tools imo, but he has to put them all together.

It's weird how Shero's drafting philosophy seemed to be to go after small-to-average sized wingers who have bottom six upsides. Seems like the description for a LOT of our winger prospects under Shero include the words "longshot" and "probably a 3rd or 4th liner". :laugh:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
It's weird how Shero's drafting philosophy seemed to be to go after small-to-average sized wingers who have bottom six upsides. Seems like the description for a LOT of our winger prospects under Shero include the words "longshot" and "probably a 3rd or 4th liner". :laugh:

Haha......Agreed.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Do any of the wbs defencemen project to be anything at the nhl level? If we were to suffer 1 or 2 injuries on defence it doesnt seem like we have anybody thats nhl capable

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Do any of the wbs defencemen project to be anything at the nhl level? If we were to suffer 1 or 2 injuries on defence it doesnt seem like we have anybody thats nhl capable

No more young guys that project but Oleksy could play on the 3rd pair if need be.
Has NHL experience.

And Andersen may be able to keep up.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Hopefully we arent put in the same position like years playoffs. Really need to restock the cupboard.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Providence Bruins had 29 shots in the 1st period and Jarry only gave up 1 goal. Almost the 2nd intermission shots are 40-15 Bruins and they lead 2-1. But the shots were 29-5 in the 1st intermission...29-5!!!!!

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

When I have watched WBS, Archibald has been getting deployed taking a lot of D zone starts with OS. Are they trying to get his defensive game up to par?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
When I have watched WBS, Archibald has been getting deployed taking a lot of D zone starts with OS. Are they trying to get his defensive game up to par?

That's a good eye. I didn't even realize that.

He can be a gritty guy, so maybe they value that, and feel he is going to work to get after the puck/puck carrier. Thus feeling comfortable with him in the zone.

When I was watching he has finally started to put the puck in the net. Not that I ever felt that his role is is going to be a goal scorer. But frankly, in the previous games I have seem him, him really didn't define himself in any particular role. He looks at least another year or so away from being able to play in the bigs (if ever).

(been awhile since I have seen a WBS game....ever since HS went down)

Last edited:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
It's looking obvious to me that Clark Donatelli really sucks.

I know there are a lot of WBS guys in Pittsburgh right now, but what's left down there should still be a pretty good AHL team - on defense especially, this is not a team that should be outshot 50-25 like they were tonight or getting smoked by a last place team like last night. They've won 12 of 26 since he took over.

Puzzling hire.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
It's looking obvious to me that Clark Donatelli really sucks.

I know there are a lot of WBS guys in Pittsburgh right now, but what's left down there should still be a pretty good AHL team - on defense especially, this is not a team that should be outshot 50-25 like they were tonight or getting smoked by a last place team like last night. They've won 12 of 26 since he took over.

Puzzling hire.

There's a reason he was coaching in West Virginia for so long. They should have just let Leach ride out the year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Every time I hear Donatelli's name I am reminded of his face, a face that should not be allowed near playgrounds or elementary schools.

That dude is fantastically terrible. I mean, the one thing that we could always rely on it seemed was having a solid AHL coach, well except for this year after Sullivan was promoted. I really hope they find another great developmental coach for the WBS Pens, this clown has to go.

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Every time I hear Donatelli's name I am reminded of his face, a face that should not be allowed near playgrounds or elementary schools.

That dude is fantastically terrible. I mean, the one thing that we could always rely on it seemed was having a solid AHL coach, well except for this year after Sullivan was promoted. I really hope they find another great developmental coach for the WBS Pens, this clown has to go.

ClarkDonatelli1112_535x310.jpg

"Pardon?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad