WBS Penguins 2015-16 season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hall & Oates is garbage, guys.

Butterbean interview for those interested ...

Interesting. Doesn't sound like plan on keeping Leach as the HC at this point in time.

Last edited:

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Watched a decent amount of the game tonight, and imo Pouliot still looked pretty bad, especially his skating. Didn't even look remotely nhl.ready.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You know what, I can't go for that, no, no can do.

Interesting. Doesn't sound like plan on keeping Leach as the HC at this point in time.

I don't blame them. Pens need someone that is good at developing and has a knack for it. Jay Leach, really doesn't. The guy barely has enough of a coaching resume to even be in this position, this is more of a "****, I wish we had Nasreddine here at least, this will have to do until we find someone asap."

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Simon seems like a pretty damned exciting pickup in the past draft. It seems like forever since the Penguins have drafted a European player in the later rounds that has opened some eyes in the NA pros. We beat on the scouting department a lot... for good reason... but credit where it's due. This past draft looks like a pretty good one, especially considering their limited picks.

No kidding. Sprong and Simon look like two of the most promising forward prospects we've had in years, and in a draft with no 1st, 3rd, or 4th round picks. Pretty crazy what can happen when you draft for skill.

They're considered Synthpop?

Maybe not. Not exactly sure what to classify them as.

They're catchy as hell. Don't fight it. Embrace the cheese.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hall and Oates classify their music as 'rock and soul'.

Doesn't really seem adequate though, even coming from the source, considering how processed and smooth they sound. They're like, the opposite of what I think of when I hear those terms.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Doesn't really seem adequate though, even coming from the source, considering how processed and smooth they sound. They're like, the opposite of what I think of when I hear those terms.

Did you hear them in concert when they were big? They sound pretty much the same.

I even watched a concert of theirs last year. Hall sounded pretty old, but Oates still sounded like his younger self.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Idk how this team does it.

Get a new head coach, keep winning.

Lose top two goalies, keep winning.

Lose top forwards, keep winning.

It's crazy, but fun to watch.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Aw man, we almost had a ninja turtle coaching our minor league team.

Or, well, a sculptor, but who gives a **** about that.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
The organization has always really liked Clark Donatelli for whatever reason given his seemingly prominent participation in rookie and training camps over the years. I feel like that's pretty unusual for an ECHL coach to be involved with the NHL set up in that way.

But I would have rather let Leach take the reigns til the end of the season and then go after a Kris Knoblauch or a similar up-and-coming young coach in the summer. I guess they still can.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm disappointed that no one has brought up Donatelli's USA Hockey connection and tried to play this off as a dastardly Morehouse scheme.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The organization has always really liked Clark Donatelli for whatever reason given his seemingly prominent participation in rookie and training camps over the years. I feel like that's pretty unusual for an ECHL coach to be involved with the NHL set up in that way.

But I would have rather let Leach take the reigns til the end of the season and then go after a Kris Knoblauch or a similar up-and-coming young coach in the summer. I guess they still can.
I agree about Knoblauch. I'd go after him in the summer.

You need someone in the AHL that you can be comfortable promoting mid season just like we did this year and I'm not sure Donatelli has any prospects of being an NHL head coach.

If nothing else Knoblauch (or someone else that's up-and-coming) will be poached by some other team and we'll get a draft pick out of it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I agree about Knoblauch. I'd go after him in the summer.

You need someone in the AHL that you can be comfortable promoting mid season just like we did this year and I'm not sure Donatelli has any prospects of being an NHL head coach.

If nothing else Knoblauch (or someone else that's up-and-coming) will be poached by some other team and we'll get a draft pick out of it.

Wait, do you want a coach that basically rode McDavid's coattails in the OHL? Or maybe he's just that good, I mean right now Strome is in beast mode and some DeBrincat kid.

Although, being able to understand who your scorers and talent are and playing them together to find the right chemistry is also super important, something this team hasn't had for a coach since Hlinka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad