Prospect Info: Way Too Early Devils-Centric Mock Draft For February

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Cormier and Poirier would be the two that come to mind (top-pairing talent, big risks), but they're both just so problematic defensively I wouldn't be able to take them in the first round. I just watched Jake Gardiner singlehandedly cost Carolina the game for about the 10th time this year vs. Colorado last night; last week I was talking to a friend who is a big Philly fan about how Shayne Gostisbehere might be the difference between the Flyers being a lock for the playoffs or fighting for a spot with his awful defense.

I think you can hide or at least shelter a few poor defensive forwards, but poor defensive defensemen flat out cost you wins, no matter how good they may be offensively or on possession charts.

There are a couple of guys in this draft who, in my mind, are locks for 3/4 stalwarts and have some decent offensive 40+point type upside in Sanderson and Schneider. It would be a coup to come away with one of them -- Sanderson will likely go in the 9-15 range, but it's possible that Schneider could fall to the Vancouver pick. My other early favorite is Shakir Mukhamadullin, who combines size, mobility, physical edge with an absolute bomb of a shot -- but he's a rawer prospect and playing in Russia, so you might need to wait four years on him.

At this point, Severson is the only defenseman I have interest in seeing this team shelter. As long as the other 5 can defend, skate, pass well, and account for maybe 5 goals each, I don’t care about their offensive prowess. Defense needs to be first on the list.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I know @Forge has mentioned it, with the intentions of trading the pick, but what about trading down from Vancouver's pick for a later 1st and a good 2nd? The more I think about it, the more I want to take advantage of this draft's depth. I don't think the difference between the Vancouver pick and, say, Pittsburgh's pick (Minnesota) is all that drastic. We could feasibly pick up the Wild's 2nd for a ~8 spot drop and still come away with a comparable prospect as we would at Vancouver's pick. I do consider trading with Detroit for their 2nd and Edmonton's 2nd but, if Vancouver's pick is in the late teens, they'd have to give us more.

I dunno. I'm greedy. I want as many shots at prospects as we can get.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I know @Forge has mentioned it, with the intentions of trading the pick, but what about trading down from Vancouver's pick for a later 1st and a good 2nd? The more I think about it, the more I want to take advantage of this draft's depth. I don't think the difference between the Vancouver pick and, say, Pittsburgh's pick (Minnesota) is all that drastic. We could feasibly pick up the Wild's 2nd for a ~8 spot drop and still come away with a comparable prospect as we would at Vancouver's pick. I do consider trading with Detroit for their 2nd and Edmonton's 2nd but, if Vancouver's pick is in the late teens, they'd have to give us more.

If we could trade down and still grab Barron while adding a 2nd, I’d be fine with it

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Because as soon as you say "Defensive defenseman" half this board instantly thinks Daneyko. They don't seem to think there's any.middle ground.

I think Jake Slavin, Shea Weber, Mark Giordano and Jared Spurgeon. I also think Brendan Dillon, Brandon Carlo, Brian Dumoulin and Ryan McDonagh. These are the types of guys you win with, not Shayne Gostisbehere or Jake Gardiner.

I'm fine with drafting an electrifying offense-first D if he's average defensively and hoping that coaching and development and hard work improve that area of his game. What I'm very reluctant to do is draft a kid playing defense who is terrible at playing defense -- it does not matter how many points he's putting up. If you create 5 scoring chances in a game, you're still a negative if you give up 6 scoring chances through bad reads/turnovers -- it's simple math.

When I post my rankings every year, this shows. It's why last year I had Moritz Seider 36 slots over Philip Broberg, and why I had Case McCarthy 150 slots over Anttoni Honka. This year, it will be why I will have Ryan O'Rourke and Justin Barron far ahead of Cormier and Poirier.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I'd be more willing to trade up in this year's draft than trade down. Which is to say, let's just say the Devils draft 5th and take one of Rossi/Stutzle/Holtz/Raymond, and then a pick or two later Drysdale is still available? I'd be fine with packaging the Arizona and Vancouver pick in order to get two of the top 8 in this particular draft. This draft is very strong, but I would call the "Big 8" a tier of potential superstars:

1 Lafreniere
2 Byfield
3 Stutzle
4 Rossi
5 Drysdale
6 Holtz
7 Raymond
8 Perfetti

That group is just so strong it's ridiculous. After this grouping, it gets very messy. A lot of great prospects from #9 into the 20's, but it's quite a challenge to justify what order to prioritize them. Today, I'd make my next group the following (though it could change by tomorrow!):

9 Quinn
10 Sanderson
11 Mysak
12 Lundell
13 Schneider
14 Amirov
15 Zary
16 Mukhamadullin

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I'd be more willing to trade up in this year's draft than trade down. Which is to say, let's just say the Devils draft 5th and take one of Rossi/Stutzle/Holtz/Raymond, and then a pick or two later Drysdale is still available? I'd be fine with packaging the Arizona and Vancouver pick in order to get two of the top 8 in this particular draft.
I'm not against that either. We have multiple avenues this process and it's super fun to follow. Whether Fitz is the new GM or whoever it is, they are going to have a lot to work with in June.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not against that either. We have multiple avenues this process and it's super fun to follow. Whether Fitz is the new GM or whoever it is, they are going to have a lot to work with in June.

Well, most of you folks know my vote:

GM: Keep Fitzgerald!
Coach: Hire Gallant
Somewhere in the front office: Hire me.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Well, most of you folks know my vote:

GM: Keep Fitzgerald!
Coach: Hire Gallant
Somewhere in the front office: Hire me.

5b87ff54fd7b5e6929ad0100-261526.jpg

Reactions: mdj12784

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I think Jake Slavin, Shea Weber, Mark Giordano and Jared Spurgeon. I also think Brendan Dillon, Brandon Carlo, Brian Dumoulin and Ryan McDonagh. These are the types of guys you win with, not Shayne Gostisbehere or Jake Gardiner.

I'm fine with drafting an electrifying offense-first D if he's average defensively and hoping that coaching and development and hard work improve that area of his game. What I'm very reluctant to do is draft a kid playing defense who is terrible at playing defense -- it does not matter how many points he's putting up. If you create 5 scoring chances in a game, you're still a negative if you give up 6 scoring chances through bad reads/turnovers -- it's simple math.

When I post my rankings every year, this shows. It's why last year I had Moritz Seider 36 slots over Philip Broberg, and why I had Case McCarthy 150 slots over Anttoni Honka. This year, it will be why I will have Ryan O'Rourke and Justin Barron far ahead of Cormier and Poirier.

x1000

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'd be more willing to trade up in this year's draft than trade down. Which is to say, let's just say the Devils draft 5th and take one of Rossi/Stutzle/Holtz/Raymond, and then a pick or two later Drysdale is still available? I'd be fine with packaging the Arizona and Vancouver pick in order to get two of the top 8 in this particular draft. This draft is very strong, but I would call the "Big 8" a tier of potential superstars:

1 Lafreniere
2 Byfield
3 Stutzle
4 Rossi
5 Drysdale
6 Holtz
7 Raymond
8 Perfetti

That group is just so strong it's ridiculous. After this grouping, it gets very messy. A lot of great prospects from #9 into the 20's, but it's quite a challenge to justify what order to prioritize them. Today, I'd make my next group the following (though it could change by tomorrow!):

9 Quinn
10 Sanderson
11 Mysak
12 Lundell
13 Schneider
14 Amirov
15 Zary
16 Mukhamadullin

I’ve always been a fan of trading up, for the best possible player, instead of trading down while collecting more assets with less potential. I’ll take two top 10 picks over a mid and late 1st round pick plus mid round picks.

With that said, if Vancouver does make the playoffs and Arizona’s pick is 11th or 12th overall, I’d be very happy to move both to get back in the top #8.

Leaving day #1 with a duo that includes any of the following names would be absolutely amazing... Stuztle/Rossi/Drysdale/Raymond/Holtz/Perfetti

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I’ve always been a fan of trading up, for the best possible player, instead of trading down while collecting more assets with less potential. I’ll take two top 10 picks over a mid and late 1st round pick plus mid round picks.

With that said, if Vancouver does make the playoffs and Arizona’s pick is 11th or 12th overall, I’d be very happy to move both to get back in the top #8.

Leaving day #1 with a duo that includes any of the following names would be absolutely amazing... Stuztle/Rossi/Drysdale/Raymond/Holtz/Perfetti

Completely agree with both of you. The disparity in player tiers after the first 8 or so prospects is significant. Of course there’s never a “sure thing” but it sounds like there’s no true consensus after the likes of Stutzle/Drysdale/Rossi/Holtz/Raymond/PePerfetti. If there’s an opportunity to somehow land two of these players, you do it.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
At this point, Severson is the only defenseman I have interest in seeing this team shelter. As long as the other 5 can defend, skate, pass well, and account for maybe 5 goals each, I don’t care about their offensive prowess. Defense needs to be first on the list.

Thing about Severson is it seems he just doesn't know how to play defense, and clearly neither does the coaching staff.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Completely agree with both of you. The disparity in player tiers after the first 8 or so prospects is significant. Of course there’s never a “sure thing” but it sounds like there’s no true consensus after the likes of Stutzle/Drysdale/Rossi/Holtz/Raymond/PePerfetti. If there’s an opportunity to somehow land two of these players, you do it.
The consensus view is there’s a group of ~8 top guys and then it gets fuzzy which is exactly why no one is going to want to trade out of the top 8. All the teams below us have overflowing prospect pools that only really lack elite talent so they aren’t going to do something to make it harder for them to get it. They can also trade their extra picks to grab an extra later 1st without moving their top pick.

Chicago or Buffalo have lighter prospect pools and lack extra picks but they currently can only get the 7th or 8th pick at best without winning the lotto. I can’t see those being worth trading for unless someone the team desperately wants is still available.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
What am I missing about Raymond? 165 pounds...Admittedly I haven't seen much of him, but stat wise I'm definitely not seeing anything that stands out.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
The consensus view is there’s a group of ~8 top guys and then it gets fuzzy which is exactly why no one is going to want to trade out of the top 8. All the teams below us have overflowing prospect pools that only really lack elite talent so they aren’t going to do something to make it harder for them to get it. They can also trade their extra picks to grab an extra later 1st without moving their top pick.

Chicago or Buffalo have lighter prospect pools and lack extra picks but they currently can only get the 7th or 8th pick at best without winning the lotto. I can’t see those being worth trading for unless someone the team desperately wants is still available.
I'd give up the Arizona and Vancouver picks to get to 7 for certain. That's potentially Marco Rossi.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'd give up the Arizona and Vancouver picks to get to 7 for certain. That's potentially Marco Rossi.
Sure but if Rossi is somehow still there then that team will just draft him themselves. That last trade I can remember involving a somewhat early 1st was Philly trading their #11 for Arizona’s #14 and #45 in 2019. Nothing is impossible but team’s don’t usually trade top ten picks for other picks. Boston tried to trade for one in 2016 but ended up having to use their three mid-round 1sts after failing to find a trade partner.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011

I do agree that putting a trade together to move up with the Arizona pick will be challenging. Most teams will view the top 8 through a similar lens. However, seemingly every year a team has a player ranked higher than most and that prospect gets overdrafted. Last year it was Seider by Detroit, Hayton by Arizona several years ago and of course Zacha. Arizona was also said to have had Soderstrom ranked number 3 on their entire board this past draft. Perhaps a team falls in love with Lundell, Quinn or someone else and feels they can get their guy with a trade down; Perhaps they deem that it’s worth the risk to acquire another first round pick to slide back a few spots. On the flip side, of course it’s more likely said team just takes that player higher than most feel is warranted. For that reason, we should hope the Arizona pick is no worse than 9 and that a Raymond or Perfetti is somehow still available.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I do agree that putting a trade together to move up with the Arizona pick will be challenging. Most teams will view the top 8 through a similar lens. However, seemingly every year a team has a player ranked higher than most and that prospect gets overdrafted. Last year it was Seider by Detroit, Hayton by Arizona several years ago and of course Zacha. Arizona was also said to have had Soderstrom ranked number 3 on their entire board this past draft. Perhaps a team falls in love with Lundell, Quinn or someone else and feels they can get their guy with a trade down; Perhaps they deem that it’s worth the risk to acquire another first round pick to slide back a few spots. On the flip side, of course it’s more likely said team just takes that player higher than most feel is warranted. For that reason, we should hope the Arizona pick is no worse than 9 and that a Raymond or Perfetti is somehow still available.

Zacha was ranked 6th by Bob Mckenzie so not quite the same as the other two, taken basically in the range (and exact pick) he was supposed to. People just like to think we were reaching so much because of the aftermath.

Reactions: Azathoth

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Zacha was ranked 6th by Bob Mckenzie so not quite the same as the other two, taken basically in the range (and exact pick) he was supposed to. People just like to think we were reaching so much because of the aftermath.

Bob McKenzie isn’t a scout, he does make his mock draft based off information he gets from several scouts. With that said, the entire hockey world had Ivan Provorov higher then Pavel Zacha. David Conte went with his pick mostly based off our horrific depth up front since we had a bunch of dman that were on the rise (and they all underperformed).

That’s the worst way to go about a draft and we basically gift wrapped, to our division rival, a top pairing dman and we have a 3rd line center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad