Post-Game Talk: Way to bounce back young team! Leafs win!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Really proud of the boys
Great bounce back performance

Good on JVR for manning up as well

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
D9X5mv.gif

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Can we also start a petition to get Marner on Matthews line permanently? I legitimately get excited when I see them on the ice at the same time. With the way Nylander controls and paces the game, no doubt in my mind that he's ready to centre his own line as well.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Can we also start a petition to get Marner on Matthews line permanently? I legitimately get excited when I see them on the ice at the same time. With the way Nylander controls and paces the game, no doubt in my mind that he's ready to centre his own line as well.

Why? Sharks and Penguins main strength during the playoffs was that they had legitimate offensive star on every line. They have to learn to be drive their own line.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
Great to see that hope is alive! I bet the Oilers are gonna lose somehow though, they've been really bad lately.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Why? Sharks and Penguins main strength during the playoffs was that they had legitimate offensive star on every line. They have to learn to be drive their own line.

That fallacy seriously needs to stop. My point is Willy centring his own line and running three lines of:

Matthews and Marner

Nylander

Kadri

Checking line (Boyle/Gauthier in the future)

Opposing teams HAVE to focus on Matthews and Marner which inherently opens up easier match ups for Nylander to feast off of and same for Kadri. And they won't stop Matthews-Marner all game. They're too creative and dynamic together. Not having at least another elite talent on the line to compliment runs the risk of what we are seeing now. Teams forgetting about Hyman and double to triple teaming Matthews.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I think I understand why Babcock is keeping them apart, in a sense. Together they'd be so potent offensively, but they might be prone to sloppy/poor defense getting caught up in trying to make plays.

JVR and Bozak forces Marner to play smarter defensively .. And Hyman/Brown are there to motivate Matthews to battle hard and fight for the puck every shift.

Maybe that's it... And once they're ready, he'll pair them together for their awesomeness. I think Babcock knows this and he has to see how good they are together.

I hope... :laugh:

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Everyone was awesome

Andersen was perfect
Reilly had best game of season
Jvr stood up for a teammate
Gardiner had no major brain cramps
I saw Martin play hockey

Great bounce back win. Huge

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think I understand why Babcock is keeping them apart, in a sense. Together they'd be so potent offensively, but they might be prone to sloppy/poor defense getting caught up in trying to make plays.

JVR and Bozak forces Marner to play smarter defensively .. And Hyman/Brown are there to motivate Matthews to battle hard and fight for the puck every shift.

Maybe that's it... And once they're ready, he'll pair them together for their awesomeness. I think Babcock knows this and he has to see how good they are together.

I hope... :laugh:

I actually legitimately thought about this in the beginning of the season. :laugh:

Although, after watching them extensively, I don't think that would be a problem. They naturally have motors to track back defensively. Marner is dragged down by his line when they don't bring any intensity (which is most nights). Outside of Hyman's weak checking, Matthews is consistently the one who is getting in lanes and trying to pick pocket the puck away from the carriers. Together, I can't see how they don't not only dominate offensively but also defensively. Imagine having to face a 6'3 version of Malkin who actually plays defence but then finding a guy motoring around the entire ice to support him.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Everyone was awesome

Andersen was perfect
Reilly had best game of season
Jvr stood up for a teammate
Gardiner had no major brain cramps
I saw Martin play hockey

Great bounce back win. Huge

Slow down their captain positive :laugh:

Even Shaner is chipper! Enjoy the sun boys. There's a storm a coming

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Is that 5 players with 50 points so far? Pretty crazy when last year the most was 45 lol I just hope Matthews gets 4 more goals and marner gets 3 more assists to break the leaf records!

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Bozak catches a lot of grief around here but he's been playing very solid for us and winning important face offs all year. Congrats on 500 NHL games. Special stat for an undrafted guy. Thanks Bozie!

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
still a bit worried about kadri. Ever since he was called out by the jets after that big hit he has not played very physical and hasn't been the same. He needs to get that chip back on his shoulder because that's when he's at his best. Stop worrying about what others teams think and finish some more checks down the stretch.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
In a game in which I thought a regulation loss would have killed the Leafs' playoff chances, did they ever have a great bounce back game. Huge statement win.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
That fallacy seriously needs to stop. My point is Willy centring his own line and running three lines of:

Matthews and Marner

Nylander

Kadri

Checking line (Boyle/Gauthier in the future)

Opposing teams HAVE to focus on Matthews and Marner which inherently opens up easier match ups for Nylander to feast off of and same for Kadri. And they won't stop Matthews-Marner all game. They're too creative and dynamic together. Not having at least another elite talent on the line to compliment runs the risk of what we are seeing now. Teams forgetting about Hyman and double to triple teaming Matthews.

At this point of the season, there is no time for experimenting Nylander at centre. Perhaps next season but not now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad