Post-Game Talk: Way to bounce back young team! Leafs win!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
But what I don't understand is how are we in a playoff spot

The last game against Florida at least ten posters came on the thread to say
That the chance of making the playoffs is over.

Does this actually mean that with 13 games to go we can actually make the playoffs?

I'm confused. If some of those posters who said we are done could explain this to me I would appreciate it.

I think the truth is they have to win.

If they lost last night they would have to win and other teams would have to lose.

Now if they win out they are in.

Solid effort from Leafs, not so solid from Lightning.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Huge win.

Our schedule is downright terrifying.

Last 8 games are over a span of just 13 days. 2 back-to-backs in that span, never more than a one day break between games. In those 8 games we face Nashville, Caps, Tampa, and end with a back-to-back against the Pens and Blue Jackets.

Those 8 games are a playoff series unto themselves.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I would seriously think about switching #26 with #11. Same roles ,but Hyman is running on empty.

26 would be a nice upgrade on Hyman.

Gives the line another threat to work with.

I agree, Matthews and Nylander laying nice passes onto Sosh's stick would be deadly. The guy has a laser of a shot but never gets a chance to get it off. That would be a sick line.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Looking back on the game sheet, this win was a weird one.

Hunlack easily led the team in toi--- Polak, had almost 24 minutes!

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Really it's all in the Leafs hands right now, you can't worry about what other teams are doing (despite the fact that we are all going to be scoreboard watching these days)

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
gnDVsc9.gif

"The Team.. Just High-Fived The Fans.." :nod:

Toronto Maple Leafs vs Tampa Bay Lightning - Game Highlights - March 16 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Mike Babcock - March 16, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Frederik Andersen - March 16, 2017

More Post-Game Interviews: Martin; Rielly; Boyle & Bozak
----> https://www.youtube.com/user/torontomapleleafs/videos

mrw-my-friend-tells-me-the-hype-is-over-since-fo-comes-out-tomorrow-188308.gif

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
A total team effort from top to bottom, and a stress free victory for a change, lol.

Loved JVR's penalty at the end of the game.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
6-4-3 would get us in from here...

Just have to keep picking up points, the loser points are going to be crucial going forward

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
gnDVsc9.gif

"The Team.. Just High-Fived The Fans.." :nod:

Toronto Maple Leafs vs Tampa Bay Lightning - Game Highlights - March 16 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Mike Babcock - March 16, 2017

Maple Leafs Post-Game: Frederik Andersen - March 16, 2017

More Post-Game Interviews: Martin; Rielly; Boyle & Bozak
----> https://www.youtube.com/user/torontomapleleafs/videos

mrw-my-friend-tells-me-the-hype-is-over-since-fo-comes-out-tomorrow-188308.gif

Poor choice of high fives gif IMHO. We all know what happens to Goose! :cry:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Good. Give the top 4 guys some rest when the game is in the bag.

It helped that we were on the PK for a lot of the game. Polak, Hunwick and Rielly all played great on the PK and helped Andersen weather the storm.

Also to add, Hyman had 5:37 PK ice time last night. Most of any forwards on the Leafs by a large margin.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
extra credit again to our awesome 4th line.

and extra credit to babcock for setting the tone right by putting them out for the opening faceoff.

and they rewarded him with an early goal.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
There's .03 points per game separating Matthews with Kadri and Bozak.

Currently, Matthews is getting mugged. And honestly, if the opposition wants to focus on shutting that line down, there's actually more offense with JVR/Bozak/Marner. As frustrating as it might be for Matthews, it opens up the game for the rest of the team. Now despite what some might say, overall, I think Hyman digging the puck out of the corner to Matthews has worked. Hyman's 11 first assists goes beyond stats you'd usually find from Hyman's skill-set. However, it's a play they've gone to the well once too often with. Kaberle to McCabe, Bozak to Kessel, etc. There is certain predictability there that ends up getting shut-down, countered, and starts failing to deliver or even back-fires. What we need is a Berezin passing move. Something new and unexpected. Now that can be achieved by replacing Hyman, but it could just as easily be accomplished by working in another play. Perhaps dig the puck out to Nylander who's behind the net? Back to a blue-liner? I agree that line needs to change it up, but a personal change might not be needed.

I know Polak doesn't have a lot of hurrah plays in his game. But he probably has more of the missing element on Toronto's blue line then anyone. We need blueliners to Polak the opposition in the Leaf's zone then play their game once they get the puck. Anyways, he was my 1st star of the game.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
There's .03 points per game separating Matthews with Kadri and Bozak.

Currently, Matthews is getting mugged. And honestly, if the opposition wants to focus on shutting that line down, there's actually more offense with JVR/Bozak/Marner. As frustrating as it might be for Matthews, it opens up the game for the rest of the team. Now despite what some might say, overall, I think Hyman digging the puck out of the corner to Matthews has worked. Hyman's 11 first assists goes beyond stats you'd usually find from Hyman's skill-set. However, it's a play they've gone to the well once too often with. Kaberle to McCabe, Bozak to Kessel, etc. There is certain predictability there that ends up getting shut-down, countered, and starts failing to deliver or even back-fires. What we need is a Berezin passing move. Something new and unexpected. Now that can be achieved by replacing Hyman, but it could just as easily be accomplished by working in another play. Perhaps dig the puck out to Nylander who's behind the net? Back to a blue-liner? I agree that line needs to change it up, but a personal change might not be needed.

I know Polak doesn't have a lot of hurrah plays in his game. But he probably has more of the missing element on Toronto's blue line then anyone. We need blueliners to Polak the opposition in the Leaf's zone then play their game once they get the puck. Anyways, he was my 1st star of the game.

We need a Polak who is really a legit top 4. The same kind of player, just a tier above. A player who lets Rielly do his his thing while taking care of business on his side. It's probably a guy like Manson.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We need a Polak who is really a legit top 4. The same kind of player, just a tier above. A player who lets Rielly do his his thing while taking care of business on his side. It's probably a guy like Manson.

yeppers.

we need a Polak with a brain.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its very promising for the future that this young team bounce-back ability after a beat down is good.

Every time this season after getting beaten by 4 or more goals they always have won the next game.

Perhaps the Florida beating had a silver lining in that winning the TB game was more important to their playoff odds.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Little boy Kucherov got his lunch fed to him by 34 tonight.

Nice try by the idiot refs but they come up short again

Kucherov is a sick player, but man, he cherry picked for breakaways all night. Not that I can blame him considering their depleted roster, but I don't watch them enough to know if that's a regular occurrence.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
So, I had to work last night and missed the whole game. Of course I was off the night they got their butts handed to them.

Sigh..... the burden of being a Leaf fan.

I think if they can keep winning 3 in a row, then get blown out the fourth game, rinse and repeat; then they'll be a good spot. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad