OT: Watcha watchin'?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
A trilogy that turned into a war between directors. 8 exists to undo 7, 9 exists to undo 8. The whole thing is just crap.
7 is 4 with a 30 year reunion in it. No creativity.

8 and 9 were a let down. not as much of a let down than 1, 2, and 3. They did try to push some agendas in 8 and 9. The whole Leia sucking herself back into the spaceship killed number 8 for me. Them trying to cover their ass by saying she went through jedi training in 9 and that is how she did it was comical. The full circle bad guy, turning good to defeat the emperor again laziness made 9 fairly meh.

rogue one was good. Easily the best one not in the first 3, although it wasn’t hard to do. Although CGI Leia’s eyes still creep me out.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I was super into the expanded universe books/games/everything back in the day so there was really no way I was going to like these movies that much... but man. Super hard to separate the real world stuff from the narrative when the narrative doesnt make any sense
Thrawn Trilogy will always be the trilogy that should have been! Also, they should totally turn the X-Wing books into a mini-series
7 is 4 with a 30 year reunion in it. No creativity.

8 and 9 were a let down. not as much of a let down than 1, 2, and 3. They did try to push some agendas in 8 and 9. The whole Leia sucking herself back into the spaceship killed number 8 for me. Them trying to cover their ass by saying she went through jedi training in 9 and that is how she did it was comical. The full circle bad guy, turning good to defeat the emperor again laziness made 9 fairly meh.

rogue one was good. Easily the best one not in the first 3, although it wasn’t hard to do. Although CGI Leia’s eyes still creep me out.
I think the problem is that with so many years of Expanded Universe that kinda got "wiped out" but much of it has still been borrowed/recycled, it was fighting a losing battle. Ultimately, everyone who is a Star Wars fan had different expectations, some wanted the "pandering" or throwback moments of nostalgia, others wanted something completely new. Force Awakens was very much a rehash of the original Star Wars (New Hope), Last Jedi was completely different from everything prior, and Rise of Skywalker was a mixture of both extremes in a way. I tried to go in with no expectations, and for the most part enjoyed the new movies. There are moments in each one that just kind of put me off, and moments that were like "wooooooow!"

Force Awakens relied heavily on the the nostalgia moments and the plot was a complete rehash of the original but now you destroy star systems instead of a single planet, plus Ben was a bit of an angsty teen (flashbacks to Anakin in the prequels), but it was well-done and well paced, Poe was a great addition, and Rey kind of discovering her powers was pretty cool.

Last Jedi was a mixed bag, Holdo unnecessarily withheld information to drive the plot, and Poe went off the rails rogue. Leia's Mary Poppins moment was very out of character for what we knew about her, Snoke was a whole lot of nothing-burger, but the Ben/Rey fight was pretty cool and the kamikaze hyper-jump was one of those "wow" kinda moments for me. Rose derailing Finn was a buzzkill for his character story arc, Luke's force-projection was pretty slick, but almost the entire Resistance gets wiped out and escape on the Falcon?

RoS seemed like it tried to undo Last Jedi, but also tried to add a lot of its own, it almost tried to do too much while also trying to appease EVERYONE (the "give me something new" and "pander to my expectations" crowds). I kind of wonder if they'd planned all along for Palpatine to return? That's the focus of the movie, but lots of details kind of get glossed over. The Force-sensitive powers are off the charts compared to anything previously seen (though honestly they were all stolen from EU stuff). Hux being the mole just to make Ben fail seemed SOOOO forced, the motive just didn't fit the scope (realistically if Ben fails, the First Order fails, Hux gets nothing). Rey is a Palpatine, by magic? He also wants Ben to kill her, but then wants her alive so she can kill him to become super-Sith? The "last second" appearance of the allies just as everyone is almost dead was super-cliche, but I will say it was pretty epic (kind of like the world's armies appearance in Endgame)

Solo didn't really reveal a ton of new information, mostly just fleshed out the details we already knew about Han and Lando, but Maul was an interesting cameo. Nothing special, but still enjoyed it.

Rogue One had one of the best battle scenes ever (just shove that falling Destroyer into the damn shield!!), Vader's ending scene was epic, and it's a really good prequel to New Hope. I think if anything, it's one glaring weakness was that there was never enough background or character development. Everyone died (which I really didn't expect until I thought about it more), but many felt empty because they really weren't explored.

Anyway, sorry for the ramblings, I'm a Star Wars nerd and ya'll were talking about it so I had to throw in my thoughts (plus, things are a bit slow today on the working-from-home front)

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Thrawn trilogy was so great. I was also pretty into the New Jedi Order for a while until it just started getting too long. Even the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games were better than what these movies ended up as. I didnt hate 7 or 8 though I didnt really like them either... I actually liked some of the ideas in 8 but it was plodding and at the end felt like nothing had actually happened. 9 was opposite of that, but way worse... just so busy and incoherent

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
@WreckingCrew

The fight at the end really hammered the last nail in the coffin for 7 for me. It takes luke training with Ben and the an entire “offseason” with Yoda to lose and have to escape Vader. Then Rey and Finn successfully battle / fend off Kylo? Seemed very rushed. agree on your other points.

8 and 9 bounced around agendas. First Finn has obvious feelings for Rey but in 9 it was like they hinted at Finn & Poe. Then all the strong characters were ladies.

Never liked how the whole story of 1-6 repeats itself in 7-9. Do the Jedi not learn anything? Jedi teaches conflicted kid, who becomes evil. The master goes into hiding and the kid finds a new master who builds up an insurmountable force with fear. A new kid comes a long that can defeat the new bad guy. The master, after found in a far away planet, trains the new one with reluctance. New good person fights the bad guy and eventually family convinces the bad guy to be good. The bad and good defeat the emperor. Former bad guy dies leaving good guy alone with people who don’t understand. End. Of course this goes along with the Friends and HIMYM discussion earlier. Nothing new but the situation changes. “It is all the same, only the names will change.”

I thought Finn was killed as a character. Gave him some side plots but was pushed to insignificant. I guess director/ writers of 8 and 9 didn’t like him.

as much as I dont like it, the new ones may have beaten Lucas’ idea. His account of how this whole thing would have gone sounded awful. All of the players controlled by these immortal puppet masters? Booooo. Carrying on that metaclorian mess from episode 1.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Thrawn trilogy was so great. I was also pretty into the New Jedi Order for a while until it just started getting too long. Even the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games were better than what these movies ended up as. I didnt hate 7 or 8 though I didnt really like them either... I actually liked some of the ideas in 8 but it was plodding and at the end felt like nothing had actually happened. 9 was opposite of that, but way worse... just so busy and incoherent

I read the Thrawn trilogy late last year and loved it. Then I found out that he wrote two more several years later ("Hand of Thrawn Duology"), and was exciting to dive it. Having a lot of trouble getting through the first one, just isn't capturing my attention like the trilogy did.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I read the Thrawn trilogy late last year and loved it. Then I found out that he wrote two more several years later ("Hand of Thrawn Duology"), and was exciting to dive it. Having a lot of trouble getting through the first one, just isn't capturing my attention like the trilogy did.
Funny you mention that, I actually just finished reading that Duology a couple months ago...I enjoyed them, but they definitely weren't nearly as encapsulating as that Trilogy. Certain points of it plod along, and there's a few character introductions that come out of nowhere and you don't really learn about them until the 2nd book (at which point you forgotten where this person even came from). It's mostly pulled together in the end, but there are are lot of frayed/loose ends throughout that leave you a little lost as you go. In general though, I really enjoy Timothy Zahn's style. I also read his "Conqueror's Pride" trilogy that was pretty interesting, and I have one of the Cobra books to dive into. He's also written a newer Thrawn Trilogy that's part of the canon, I'm interested in diving in, but also not sure how I'll separate the original trilogy from the newer writings (though perhaps considering it's the same author nothing will be broken)

EDIT: A big reason I loved the Thrawn Trilogy and wish IT had been the sequel trilogy...you had a non-Force-sensitive "villain" character who was so tactically brilliant he rivaled Palpatine, but didn't require seemingly generations to do it

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Rise of Skywalker...I was kinda with it until ol' Palpy destroyed an entire fleet with lightening....like wuttt.

Reactions: DaveG

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The Midnight Gospel on Netflix is worth a watch if you like weird stuff.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Rise of Skywalker...I was kinda with it until ol' Palpy destroyed an entire fleet with lightening....like wuttt.
You were with it for longer than I was. Just throwing out that he was still alive in the title crawl I thought was pretty bogus, then they crammed what could have been an entire movie into the first 20 minutes

Reactions: Stickpucker

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
In addition to Hurricanes Classics, Fox Sports Carolinas is also airing Predators Classics. Game 4 Chicago vs Nashville 2017.

Just another one of those series that reminds everyone that the Stanley Cup Playoffs are far and away the best thing in North American Sports, and by everyone I mean me.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
In addition to Hurricanes Classics, Fox Sports Carolinas is also airing Predators Classics. Game 4 Chicago vs Nashville 2017.

Just another one of those series that reminds everyone that the Stanley Cup Playoffs are far and away the best thing in North American Sports, and by everyone I mean me.
I've enjoyed watching the predators classics but it did strike me that their classics are only 2 years old compared to the canes' almost 20

Reactions: HisIceness

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I've enjoyed watching the predators classics but it did strike me that their classics are only 2 years old compared to the canes' almost 20

True.

NBCsn is airing game 1 of their 2017 series against the Ducks right now. That Preds team was a lot of fun.

Reactions: DaveG

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I think a bar called Moonrunners down 401 was on bar rescue.

People seemed to think the whole show was a scam and didn't help bars survive.....that doesn't make it bad entertainment though.

Reactions: HisIceness

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad