OT: Watcha watchin'?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As a casual NBA fan and a Pistons fan back then, the Pistons got away with murder on Jordan. The NBA clearly didn't want the Pistons rating wise. NBA promoted the hell out of Celtics/Lakers, everybody made money off them. It saved the NBA back then. NBA promoted the hell out of Kobe and Shaq, everybody made money off them. NBA made a killing off of Lebron, even having "The decision", and everybody made money off them. Just because the league wants to promote superstars, it doesn't diminish their accomplishments. I hated Jordan, but can recognize how great he was and recognize that all sports leagues favor stars, including the NHL.

As for the comments about "Barely beat the Pacers, All kind of trouble with the nets, had a 3 pointer not been waved off, etc....", I get that, but it sounds a lot like opposing fans when they say "Canes barely beat Montreal. Canes barely beat Buffalo missing all of their defenders. Had Koivu's eye not been gouged. Had Oiler's not lost their goalie. etc.... Great teams don't always dominate every team along the way. They face adversity, they get timely breaks, they take advantage of those breaks, and they find ways to win when they shouldn't, they learn how to win close games, etc... That's what makes a team great.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to change anybody's opinion, just adding my own perspective as I am old enough to remember Jordan in his prime.

RE: the series, I enjoyed episodes 3 and 4 MUCH more than 1 and 2. The Rodman stuff was fantastic.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The behind-the-scenes stuff from that last season (1997-98) is interesting, even today there's not a lot of that kind of content out there. Watching Jordan poke fun at the team trainer (Packers fan) on the plane and showing his winning money after the Super Bowl is amusing. The Rodman story going to Vegas during the season is hilarious.

I don't anything of the Pistons walking off in 1991. Yeah bad sportsmanship but did anyone really expect anything different from a group that called themselves "Bad Boys"? Not like it hasn't happened since either. I watched Pat Riley walk off w/o shaking hands with the Hornets after they swept his Miami Heat in 2001. LeBron has done this a couple of times. The NHL really is the only league that gets it right when it comes to handshakes.

Reactions: DaveG

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
So watching Vikings season 2 or 3....I don't get it. Ragnar makes a deal with Wessex for a lot of farm land. The people there are all killed and instead of coming back and enacting vengeance for breaking the treaty he goes for a harder target in Paris? Not that he knows this but Wessex and North Umbria are having troubles at this time keeping Quenthrith*sp? on the throne.

Also is any of this based on history or just super loosely?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So watching Vikings season 2 or 3....I don't get it. Ragnar makes a deal with Wessex for a lot of farm land. The people there are all killed and instead of coming back and enacting vengeance for breaking the treaty he goes for a harder target in Paris? Not that he knows this but Wessex and North Umbria are having troubles at this time keeping Quenthrith*sp? on the throne.

Also is any of this based on history or just super loosely?
The sources are very legendary to begin with and there's a plenty on absolutely unhistoric mix&match like the family history of Alfred the Great, BUT:

Siege of Paris (845) - Wikipedia

Siege of Paris (885–886) - Wikipedia

Great Heathen Army - Wikipedia

Rollo - Wikipedia

Björn Ironside - Wikipedia

Tale of Ragnar's Sons - Wikipedia

And obviously the famous Uppsalablot stuff by Adam of Bremen visited in an earlier season:

Gesta Hammaburgensis ecclesiae pontificum - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: Stickpucker

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
1974 Stanley Cup Finals, Game 6: Bruins vs Flyers on NBCsn

Some good ole Broad Street Bullies vs Big Bad Bruins action.

Last edited:

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
They have the 2009 Game 7 Canes at Devils on the NHL Network right now.

carolina-hurricanes-eric-staal-reacts-with-new-jersey-devils-fans-after-scoring-the-game-winning-goal-in-the-third-period-of-game-seven-of-the-eastern-conference-quarterfinals-at-the-prudential-center-in-newark-new-jersey-on-april-28-2009-the-hurricanes-defeated-the-devils-4-3-and-win-the-series-in-7-games-upi-photojohn-angelillo-TYK3EN.jpg

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Over the last two-ish weeks we watched Ozark Seasons 1-3. Pretty good, a bit of a Breaking Bad spin-off but the protagonists are more sympathetic (at times) and it's fun.

Spoiler free, but a couple of times in the third season Jason Bateman's character exasperatedly proclaims that he's "just trying to do what's best for this family", so it's basically Arrested Development.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I've been watching old movies. Didn't realize what gems there were, and occasionally what garbage too. Delightfully surprising where I didn't expect it.

Today, like Lempo no doubt, waiting with baited breath what our darling whippersnapper is announcing for a lockdown exit strategy. Unlikely to be world news and that's a good thing. (I have no doubt it'll be fairly well done, mind you.)

If Vengeance wants it, a summary should be at
Yle Uutiset | News
when they get it done. Possibly today evening, urapeein' time.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I misunderstood "social distancing" and promptly cut my Internet cord. Then someone explained it's actually physical distancing and computer virii are different, and social connectivity could actually be helpful. I'm still wrapping my head around this whole thing. I could be just lost in translation.

Reactions: MinJaBen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Watched Waco on Netflix last week. That was pretty damn good, now I just need to figure out what was fiction about it. There’s a lot in there that’s against what we thought we knew back then.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Over the last two-ish weeks we watched Ozark Seasons 1-3. Pretty good, a bit of a Breaking Bad spin-off but the protagonists are more sympathetic (at times) and it's fun.

Spoiler free, but a couple of times in the third season Jason Bateman's character exasperatedly proclaims that he's "just trying to do what's best for this family", so it's basically Arrested Development.
That season 3 finale though

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Watched Waco on Netflix last week. That was pretty damn good, now I just need to figure out what was fiction about it. There’s a lot in there that’s against what we thought we knew back then.
I tried watching it when it first came out but the dude who played David Koresh made him so unlike able that I had a hard time watching. Gonna have to give it another go.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I predict my attempt at distancing humor three posts above will only be laughed with by Vengeance and laughed at by Lempo.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That season 3 finale though

No way is Ben dead. 1) They've been too liberal about showing deaths throughout the series to just conveniently not show it happen. 2) Nelson seems to be an important player here. First off, Helen asked "if it were me, would you let me know first" after he killed the therapist, and he said yes, but obviously the last scene of the season implies he's not in her pocket like we thought. Even if Wendy "called it in" to Helen, there still may have been some inner workings with Marty and Nelson. 3) Inner workings that are even more evidenced by the fact that Nelson just brought the "body" back to Marty right afterwards. You go from "if you don't do this I'll kill your whole family" to "here, you can have it back" in 5 minutes? Seemed to quick to be doing each other favors unless they were already in cahoots. I'm betting Ben's back in Season 4 with a pretty big role.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and raynman

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I tried watching it when it first came out but the dude who played David Koresh made him so unlike able that I had a hard time watching. Gonna have to give it another go.
Taylor Kitsch was an interesting choice (he may have cast himself, he gets credit as a producer or director), though in the end I thought he did a decent job. I don't think he was supposed to be that likeable, he talks underage girls into marrying him and having children. They wanted to humanize the whole group more had been done in the past which I think they did. Their day to day life shown is apparently pretty spot on as it comes from a survivor, which makes the ending more messed up. It really emphasizes they weren't a suicidal group that said during the holdout multiple times that such an option was never considered, while pointing out the gas used was known to be flammable so it's pretty unlikely they sacrificed their lives - and the lives of their children. That was hardly the message sent out to us the day it all went down. They were painted as freaks that sacrificed themselves under the order of their leader. Some details in the middle that makes you question why the raid happened at all let alone the way it did.

It's made to make you question the whole thing, which in turn makes me question what is actually true about that day from both the government as well as this show. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle. If they didnt actually commit suicide that's horrific and there should be accountability.

PS I read a lot more about it now that I'm home and off shift. Some answers but still questions. There were 20 or so suicides in the group but the autopsy thought they were "mercy" killings due to being trapped in the fire. Also some suggested evidence of people dying from the nerve gas. An arson report thinks they set the fire, survivors say they didnt. We'll never know what happened. The show glosses over some of the details of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: raynman and DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I predict my attempt at distancing humor three posts above will only be laughed with by Vengeance and laughed at by Lempo.
Yes.

But what comes to the corona exit strategy, I really couldn't have cared less. The whole restriction business has had about zero effect on my normalcy.

I also haven't watched anything after I got through with Blackadder.

Reactions: raynman and Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Yes.

But what comes to the corona exit strategy, I really couldn't have cared less. The whole restriction business has had about zero effect on my normalcy.

I also haven't watched anything after I got through with Blackadder.
I don't even have to recommend The Young Ones.

The domestic old produce is better not spoken of.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

The guy who plays Koresh (Taylor Kitsch) is a former Hockey player, that alone is good enough to reason to watch Waco.

But yes, Waco is good and anyone like me who loves recent-ish American history (Civil Rights era and beyond) will probably like it too.

Anyone know where I can find the full game of:

2006 ECF game 5?

Just wait until someone posts it to YouTube, whenever that will be. Or maybe FSC will re-air it soon.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad