OT: Watcha watchin'?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Started Cobra Kai on Netflix, it was pulled over from YT

I loved Cobra Kai...not sure why YT sold it when they didn't have a lot of great shows they were producing. A little worried Netflix will do their normal try too hard to make something gritty/dark.

Been watching the 3%. Pretty solid once you get past the bad dubs.

Was watching the OA and enjoying it only to find out it got canceled.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I loved Cobra Kai...not sure why YT sold it when they didn't have a lot of great shows they were producing. A little worried Netflix will do their normal try too hard to make something gritty/dark.

Been watching the 3%. Pretty solid once you get past the bad dubs.

Was watching the OA and enjoying it only to find out it got canceled.
OA?

I watched da 5 bloods last night, and having watched project power and the drunk parent movie recently I’m a little thrown off by Netflix movies. Great casts. Great plot. I wanted to enjoy all three but was really not impressed. All three seemed to struggle with execution. Drunk parents or whatever it’s called was possibly the worst movie I’ve watched in a long time, and if it wasn’t for who I was watching it with I would’ve turned it off five minutes in. Project Power was the closest and had some moments but really never hit like I thought it should and I thought Da 5 Bloods was a mess. Could’ve been award winning, at times was tough to even watch. Is it a comedy or drama? The action scenes looked they were shot by someone who makes sitcoms. The plot got really lost. The acting was over the top at times, like no one was directing it. This one and the parents one both seemed like they just took the first take on everything, whether it was good or not.

I’m assuming this is a budget issue with everything going on? Or are they going to make lower end movies with people we like, and just have that be their thing?

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yellowstone has been the show I’ve watched with the most intensity. I’m getting into Connected. Catching up with season 3 or Ozark.

Has anyone watched the show with Zac Effron? I wasn’t expecting much there and was actually pleasantly surprised.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Yellowstone has been the show I’ve watched with the most intensity. I’m getting into Connected. Catching up with season 3 or Ozark.

Has anyone watched the show with Zac Effron? I wasn’t expecting much there and was actually pleasantly surprised.
Ozark rules. One of my favorite shows of the last few years.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Is it canceled or are they just finishing it? It's been going on for like 15 years now...

Cancelled. They were apparently writing the 8th (and final) season when they got the news.

Like, I understand the time between seasons is ridiculous (and it was), but if you put up with it for 17 years, seems kind of dumb not to simply let them finish it.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
The Boys season 2

I burned through the first three episodes in one sitting and am now waiting anxiously for the next one.
I will wait for the whole thing to come out. I am curious about the direction, because they will obviously change some stuff from the source material.
On another note, watched The Predators (2010). MILD SPOILERS AHEAD.

Decent flick especially given the budget where they still had to pay L. Fishburne some decent money.
I especially appreciate how they disposed of the traitor character. These brutal disposals are not done enough these days.

There are some obvious physical blunders, but that’s just me be being influenced by my dad who loves anything related to astronomy, space and aeronautics in general. (Gas giant being so visibly close negates the small solar cycle alluded by Brody’s character).

Also it’s funny that so many Israeli characters in movies and TV shows are played by Hispanic actors/actresses. I don’t mind at all, it’s just funny how often Iberian/South American Native ancestry helps one landing Middle Eastern roles.

Still I am kinda unhappy that there are very few good B action movies. Comic book adaptations kinda killed it off, because young action movie starts usually are carried by their character, not by their own charisma.
Honorable exceptions are John Wick, newest Mad Max and Tarantino movies, but those are relics of the previous century.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018

My daughter has me watching "Down to Earth" with her. Lots of interesting stuff and good ideas. The one thing that bothers me—maybe they address it in one of the episodes I haven't watched yet—is that they are flying around the world. Any actions to improve sustainability must include either making flying significantly more efficient or drastically reducing overall flights.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Finally went back and finished Man in the High Castle, and WTF was that ending?? I don't think we're ready to do Handmaid's Tale yet.

Ran through the first season of Warrior Nun, which was fun and well done. Now on season 2 of Umbrella Academy. Interesting backstory they are giving out slowly, and I don't know who is in charge of that soundtrack, but...I feel seen.

Reactions: raynman

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Finally went back and finished Man in the High Castle, and WTF was that ending?? I don't think we're ready to do Handmaid's Tale yet.

Ran through the first season of Warrior Nun, which was fun and well done. Now on season 2 of Umbrella Academy. Interesting backstory they are giving out slowly, and I don't know who is in charge of that soundtrack, but...I feel seen.
Umbrella Academy is one of the most surprisingly fun/good shows I’ve seen in a while.
Handmaid’s Tale is a lot at times holy shit I don’t know what I was expecting

Reactions: Bunch of Jurcos

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Just finished Upload. If you like shows like Black Mirror, you'll definitely like it. It's surprisingly good, and more funny than dark but a little of that too.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Just finished Upload. If you like shows like Black Mirror, you'll definitely like it. It's surprisingly good, and more funny than dark but a little of that too.

I'll have to check it out. I like that genre of show but usually prefer things a little less dark than I recall the dark mirror to be.

To who was asking the OA....not sure how to tell what it is about without spoiling things as I don't remember the order things happened....

I guess you could say it's a sci fi / psychological thriller thing....so it's kinda out there...and you are meant to question the sanity of the main character after being abducted.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I'll have to check it out. I like that genre of show but usually prefer things a little less dark than I recall the dark mirror to be.

To who was asking the OA....not sure how to tell what it is about without spoiling things as I don't remember the order things happened....

I guess you could say it's a sci fi / psychological thriller thing....so it's kinda out there...and you are meant to question the sanity of the main character after being abducted.

It's actually much lighter and funnier than Black Mirror. I think you'd like it. I went in not expecting much, and was very pleasantly surprised.

Teenage Bounty Hunters on Netflix was also a pleasant surprise. Growing up around southern, wealthy, religious people makes that show even better. That's all I say.

Reactions: Stickpucker

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
20201105_203022.jpg

I'm in Michigan right now. Fox Sports Detroit is airing game 1 of the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals. Interesting quote just now, "The forecast calls for 7 games", whoops.

Also FoxTrax, and the robots :laugh:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Watched Queens Gambit and enjoyed it. Also have been watching you. Seems to be trying to make some interesting points about what we consider crazy and our laws.

Kinda want to watch something that feels "wholesome" like cornbread and mac n' cheese for the brain. Any suggestions?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Watched Queens Gambit and enjoyed it. Also have been watching you. Seems to be trying to make some interesting points about what we consider crazy and our laws.

Kinda want to watch something that feels "wholesome" like cornbread and mac n' cheese for the brain. Any suggestions?
"Down to Earth" with Zac Effron is about people making their communities better/more sustainable. If you are into non-fiction television it is about as wholesome as you can get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad