OT: Watcha Playin? Version 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Are these new Star Wars Battlefront games any good? Those and the possibility that NHL 18 and Madden 18 might be half decent are tempting me toward springing for a PS4 - I'm still rocking my launch PS3 that I bought in 2006.

I don't really play that many games. The PS3 mostly gets used as a movies/music/Netflix/Hulu/etc streamer. But I would maybe play more games if I had new and interesting ones.

NHL 18 is terrible. Still prefer the old generation of NHL games since you could benefit from passing a lot and being creative. While there aren't as many glitch goals in the current gen version it is all about mashing poke check, being a good dangler and shooting as soon as there is an opening. If you long for a different hockey game or prefer offline play it might be worth it.

What kind of games do you like? Shooters? There are plenty of cheap, and good, ones right now, Metro, Doom, Wolfenstein.

Caniackid

Jul 22, 2009
Greenville NC
South Park this past week then Mario Odyssey and Destiny 2 PC this week. Plus I still have to really start cuphead, only beaten one boss. Lots to play right now.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I like watching EU4 more than I like playing it myself. my playing tendencies are trouble for that game. I get super bogged down in micro and forget to actually march time forward.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I like watching EU4 more than I like playing it myself. my playing tendencies are trouble for that game. I get super bogged down in micro and forget to actually march time forward.

this happens to me also, but when other people are waiting on you, you kind of learn to just let things go or micro manage while time is going

not too much can happen that will devastate you in that short amount of time

Reactions: RodTheBawd

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
probably easiest to organize with discord to see when people are actually online. also makes it really easy to setup a voice chat channel so everyone can yell at me for making castille suck

Reactions: RodTheBawd

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Started playing Shadow of Mordor again this past week, and I'm starting to get into it. Never could figure out what to do the first time I tried playing back when it came out (didn't pay enough attention at the beginning) but now I've got the hang of it and its going well.

Booted up Gran Turismo Sport the other night after the Oilers game. Beautiful graphics, but I quickly learned they completely ruined the feel of the GT franchise. That is, its an online multiplayer, now. There is no single player campaign with spec races against the AI, there's no used car store, there's no endurance racing to do for your career. Sure, the arcade has some of those races against the AI, but it doesn't count toward your career and you don't have to earn your way into them. Incredibly disappointing. And when I tried to play career online, they only had races every 10-20 minutes, so its not like you could even get on and start racing. Plus, I hate online games, because people suck and ruin the experience.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
as far as mobile games, I really like Typeshift. I have long been a big fan of word games, and this one is a really solid one.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
welp, I bit the bullet and got the new Assassin's Creed. it's....actually kinda fun (albeit a bit buggy). I killed one of my first major targets without even realizing it.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
What kind of games do you like? Shooters? There are plenty of cheap, and good, ones right now, Metro, Doom, Wolfenstein.

I'm kinda all over the map in that I don't find myself loving specific genres, but specific games, because I like the feel or whatever. I don't like most racing games I've tried, but I love the Forza series and the old Project Gotham series. But I hated the Gran Turismo series, Grid, Dirt, F1, MotoGP, etc. I don't really like most military-type shooters; I liked the Rainbow Six games for instance, but Halo and Gears of War, etc did nothing for me. Not at all into RPG type games, but I liked Mass Effect and loved KOTOR, etc. I am sure none of that makes any sense at all, sorry.

Reactions: Unsustainable

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'm kinda all over the map in that I don't find myself loving specific genres, but specific games, because I like the feel or whatever. I don't like most racing games I've tried, but I love the Forza series and the old Project Gotham series. But I hated the Gran Turismo series, Grid, Dirt, F1, MotoGP, etc. I don't really like most military-type shooters; I liked the Rainbow Six games for instance, but Halo and Gears of War, etc did nothing for me. Not at all into RPG type games, but I liked Mass Effect and loved KOTOR, etc. I am sure none of that makes any sense at all, sorry.
Those are good games and I think it makes sense to not like everything in a genre. It's not like all romantic novels become great if you happen to like one, nor would you enjoy listening to all synthpop bands because Depeche Mode happens to be decent.

If you take Kotor and Mass Effect as an example I would say those are games with a great sense of place and world building. Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Soma, Alien Isolation and Metro are all games that I think has taken the "next step" when it comes to storytelling and world building. Soma forces you to do things to move forward and almost makes you want to stop playing. Alien Isolation is all about the details while Witcher is like this huge interactive novel that swallows you whole.

My point is, there are a lot of good games out there right now. It's sort of like experiencing Charlie Chaplin or Beatles first hand.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Destiny 2 on Xbox one. Beware of end game content of D2. It's non existent. Especially if you're more of s PvPer such as myself. Still a good game just needs some additional content. Otherwise I play stellaris and MWO on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad