OT: Watcha Playin? Version 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
My dad is from West Virigina. Tempted to tell him about it.

I'm taking a small break from HearthStone, wanted to see some other card games out there, and right now I'm trying out Shadowverse on Steam. Not sure if it would really appeal to anyone here but I'm enjoying it so far.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No but really. I miss the pre-internet days when a buddy would sit you in front of a comp and guide you through the first level of the latest* 3D shooter by the official™ walkthrough way. "Now you put the chainsaw on and push forward, and press open the door."

* Those newfangled things like "Hexen" and "Quake".

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
probably 3-4 years off, but looks like we are back to breton-land
Can't freaking wait. But it is such a long wait. Oh well, I've had fun playing Skryim again on the Switch.

KH3 is coming! Been waiting 10 years for this!

If you haven’t played the originals, the remastered versions of one and two are on PS4. Both hold up quite well. KH1 is my favorite game of all time.
I picked up both at Black Friday for super cheap but haven't played them yet. I usually play more in the summer when there's no hockey or football to take up so much bloody time. I've wanted to get into the series for a long time.

Dec 30, 2013

@DaveG New fallout is based in WV, has WVU, the New River and other places in it.

Odd for them to choose a location that would look the same after a nuclear war as it does now :sarcasm:

We'll probably be waiting until at least 2020 for TES VI. Those into TES (on PC) might take a look at Skyblivion. Looking like a 2019 release at the moment, but that could change.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I picked up both at Black Friday for super cheap but haven't played them yet. I usually play more in the summer when there's no hockey or football to take up so much bloody time. I've wanted to get into the series for a long time.

My non-spoilery opinions:

KH1 is the best action RPG I’ve played. The bosses are great, the fighting system is simple but nuanced, you can hack and slash your way through it by grinding levels but the magic and combos have high reward. The story is also so fun and enjoyable, especially if you are even a casual Disney fan with even an ounce of nostalgia in your body.

KH2 is inferior (unpopular opinion) for two reasons:
1) the story picks up after Chains of Memories, which is one of the worst games ever made (their GBA game). It’s also convoluted and impossible to follow unless you know what happens (and difficult even then). It’s less about Disney and more about the Final Fantasy-esque world they’ve created, which isn’t as fun.
2) the gameplay is way less strategic and way more button mash-y. The bosses in KH1 are all the classic “figure out their patterns, find their weak spot, maybe a trick or two (hop onto Cerberus’s back, you’re welcome), and battle them man to man.” No real gimmicks, you’re the same player every time and have to figure them out. KH2 introduces an “action button”; any time a special move is available a big shiny green triangle button appears in the bottom corner and when you press it you do a fancy, world-specific move. This, unfortunately, becomes the way you beat every single boss; just survive long enough to do the action several times and you win.

That’s not to say KH2 isn’t worth playing (and many appreciate the expanded battle options in the second one, I prefer the simplicity of the first). I still play through both when I do go back (every 2-4 years, thankfully they keep re-releasing them). I just have a clear favorite. I find I’m in the minority though, most seem to prefer KH2.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Also, last thing I’ll say unprompted, if you are more than a casual Disney fan, either moderate or super fan, and you haven’t played KH, you will love this game more than probably any other.
Thanks for all that feedback. How long of a time investment do you think a first play through will require for both of them? I always liked long RPG's with a lot of story.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos
Dec 30, 2013
Thanks for all that feedback. How long of a time investment do you think a first play through will require for both of them? I always liked long RPG's with a lot of story.

I’m not a speed gamer but I’ve played KH several times and I’d say it takes me ~25 hours. More if I do lots of fun side quests. I think KH2 is about the same.

If all you're doing is the main story for KH1, that's about right. For total completion, a little over 60hrs is the average.

KH2 is slightly longer, both in the main story and with the extras. But the difference is <10hrs total.

How long does it take to beat your favorite games? - HowLongToBeat.com is a lovely website for determining how much playtime you'll get out of a game.

Edit: Also, I much prefer KH1 to KH2.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
One of the things I find amazing about speed running is just how different the time a normal person would finish a game (KH1 about 60 hours from above) to a run you would see on Games Done Quick where one of my favorite runs has a guy doing KH1.5 on proud mode in just over 3 hours. I think it's incredible to see how they can optimize runs and break games. I guess it's just me being amazed at them being able to do something I never could.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
“The Company” is one of the most fun puzzle games I’ve played on the iPhone. Basically like an escape room for the iPhone, with some very clever puzzles. Apparently a 14-year-old made it - go figure.

Worth the $2 you pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad