OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part VII ["And his hair was perfect"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Digitizing my CD collection, came across a fun tidbit for jazz fans.
There's a concert that's been generally known as the "the greatest Jazz concert ever", at Massey Hall in Toronto in 1953.
Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, Bud Powell and Max Roach.

"Charlie Parker (listed on the original album sleeve as "Charlie Chan") performed on a plastic alto, pianist Bud Powell was stone drunk from the opening bell, and Dizzy Gillespie kept popping offstage to check on the status of the first Rocky Marciano-Jersey Joe Walcott heavyweight championship bout."

Bought the album decades ago and it lives up to the hype, but never knew those details.

Reactions: Jack Straw

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Digitizing my CD collection, came across a fun tidbit for jazz fans.
There's a concert that's been generally known as the "the greatest Jazz concert ever", at Massey Hall in Toronto in 1953.
Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, Bud Powell and Max Roach.

"Charlie Parker (listed on the original album sleeve as "Charlie Chan") performed on a plastic alto, pianist Bud Powell was stone drunk from the opening bell, and Dizzy Gillespie kept popping offstage to check on the status of the first Rocky Marciano-Jersey Joe Walcott heavyweight championship bout."

Bought the album decades ago and it lives up to the hype, but never knew those details.
Jazz isn't music.

• Wow
Reactions: BigToe and swami24

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Good Lord, Jazz may be the most American music genre of the last 150 or so years
Noel Gallagher said it best: "Jazz is five guys on stage enjoying themselves way more than anyone in the audience"

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
IncompleteSelfishKitty-size_restricted.gif

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Blasphemy

I mean, jazz musicians are talented people. But there's a reason they always play in bars where nobody actively listens to their music and most people don't care if they improvise the entire time.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I mean, jazz musicians are talented people. But there's a reason they always play in bars where nobody actively listens to their music and most people don't care if they improvise the entire time.
Except when they play at Lincoln Center and places like that?

I don't think many big bands played in bars.

Reactions: Rebels57 and TCTC

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Except when they play at Lincoln Center and places like that?

I don't think many big bands played in bars.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay money for that lol

Sounds more like musicians playing against each other than with each other to me. That's why I have a love/hate relationship with The Mars Volta. Some of their stuff is genius and some of it is nonsense.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
all i need to hear

start from the beginning if you can! but yeah the song I linked is probably my favorite
I came back in here to talk about this. I thought the record was great. Their best since their EP stuff. I didn't love their "experimental" stuff on their last 2 albums but this really brought together Matty's songwriting and leadership as a musician. There was a clear direction and objective to the sound they were going for which I thought was lacking on previous releases (again not that it's a bad thing in and of itself) and they're at their best when they have a focused sound.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay money for that lol

Sounds more like musicians playing against each other than with each other to me. That's why I have a love/hate relationship with The Mars Volta. Some of their stuff is genius and some of it is nonsense.
I'm not trying to belittle or anything, because anyone can pay money for whatever they want or like whatever they want, but in order to contextualize your posts, because this really, really matters in this discussion: do you play music?

Reactions: landsbergfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad