OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part VII ["And his hair was perfect"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i feel i hear this way too much ...and since it torture's me..i felt i should share that pain with you

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I believe this LP was college radio swag. Probably the best swag I ever got, aside from all of the free tickets. I have a bunch of other swag that I don't think I ever really spun, guess I'll go through that next. Cover art featured here is from the deluxe reissue.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Good find today
20221021_183009.jpg

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Haven't listened to this album in ages, was overcome by a wave of nostalgia so I bought it.

Elton_John_-_Madman_Across_the_Water.jpg

Just started listening, I don't remember most of the songs offhand but Tiny Dancer, Levon, and the title track are as good as anything he's ever done.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Haven't listened to this album in ages, was overcome by a wave of nostalgia so I bought it.

Elton_John_-_Madman_Across_the_Water.jpg

Just started listening, I don't remember most of the songs offhand but Tiny Dancer, Levon, and the title track are as good as anything he's ever done.

Most people know Tiny Dancer and Levon, but I love the title track. One of my favorites by Elton. Such a great build. Indian Sunset is a good underrated one too.

Reactions: Jack Straw

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
The first new album from Archers of Loaf came out today. The first new album in 24 years. Seeing as they're a top three band for me of all time, this is beyond exciting. New video released today as well.

For my money, Web in Front and Icky Mettle are up there for song and album of the 90's. Their later stuff (post-Vee Vee) didn't do as much for me, but this is exciting nonetheless. I've given the album a few listens now and it's been worming it's way into my head. Might go see the show in November. It's the same week as the Dinosaur, Jr. + Guided By Voices show I already have tickets for. That's feels like a lot now but I used to do that shit 25 years ago without a problem.

Last edited:

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
For my money, Web in Front and Icky Mettle are up there for song and album of the 90's. Their later stuff (post-Vee Vee) didn't do as much for me, but this is exciting nonetheless. I've given the album a few listens now and it's been worming it's way into my head. Might go see the show in November. It's the same week as the Dinosaur, Jr. + Guided By Voices show I already have tickets for. That's feels like a lot now but I used to do that shit 25 years ago without a problem.

I still liked All The Nation's Airports. White Trash Heroes was pretty clearly to me a band that was falling apart and it sounded like it, though it still has some decent tracks. There was an interview with Eric Bachmann recently that said if WTH and the work put into the first Crooked Fingers album were combined that it would have ended up a pretty good album (I agree).

It's interesting in the fan community the split over the new album (it's a great new thing they've become/it doesn't sound like they used to so it sucks). I'm in the former camp. I think it's pretty solid with some real standouts even if I didn't have history with the band. I'm glad they've evolved and not tried to make Icky Mettle 2.0 and, if we're being honest, they kept changing with every album before they broke up, so why would you expect more of the same?

Anyway, go see the show, scheduling be damned. Weird that they both hit in the same week, but it'll be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad