OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
After the Stones talk, I decided to listen to Steel Wheels today since I havent in forever and dont remember much about it.

Turns out, also really good.

Few of my favorite tracks.

Reactions: Hawkman

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
C'mon.......the Rolling Stones were the greatest GARAGE band ever. Every bar band in the Tri State area played "Brown Sugar" and "Bitch" at least twice a night in the early 70s. Virtually all songs were dance-able back then. The purpose of a bar band is get everyone up to dance, get sweaty and get back to have another beer or vodka and tonic or 7 and 7. Every one danced to the Stones.

I think I told this story before........but.....

Ocean City, NJ is a "dry" township. So after a day at the beach, miniature golf, boardwalk fries and trying to pick up chicks [ yeah sexist....but I am thinking like a 21 year old in 1970 while driving my 1968 Dodge Charger R/T with a high rise manifold 440, Hooker headers, street slicks with Ray Bans, surfer shorts and California Tees and proudly displaying my moustache........] we would head over to Somers Point. Starting point was always Tony Mart. The house band [ starting time was usually 9pm] was Mace. Mace played virtually only Rolling Stones. the lead singer thought he was Mick Jagger. Danced all night. There was usually two groups of girls there. The blonde blue eyed ladies from the Greater NorthEast { usually Polish or Irish, though not always] and the dark haired and dark eyed ladies from South Philly [ Italian of course......but every once in awhile I would run into a Cheltenham girl dark haired and brown eyes.....Of course coming from Delaware, I could barely understand a word they said. And you never got into an argument of which is better the NorthEast or South Philly. Non-productive. Saw a few hair pulling arguments over that.... The only reason I would go to the Jersey Shore was one of my best friends parents had a cottage at the end of the boardwalk in North Wildwood. Otherwise Rehobeth Beach, different story. Now Ocean City, MD......the rich kids from D.C., a way different story. All I can say way, I mean way out of my league.......

Once Rock and Roll became a non dance-able music form places like Tony Mart and the Dunes till Dawn died. Once Rock and Roll came from small venues to stadiums, for me, the interest diminished.

Thanks for reading.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
For me the last top 20 classic rock album was Born to Run. After that punk and new wave took over. I love classic rock, but it was a good thing.

Dream Syndicate Ghost Stories was last CD I purchased from Tower Records that was contemporary. Since then, compilations or re-issues or mp3 converter on YT. I found just last week 7 garage band songs from the 60s that I never heard and copied.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I looked up the 8 best-selling digital singles ever . I stopped following new music in 2014 so I don't know how good they are.

Ed Sheeran"Shape of You"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Luis Fonsi featuring Daddy Yankee"Despacito"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Xiao Zhan"光点 (Spotlight)"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rihanna featuring Drake"Work"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ed Sheeran"Perfect"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth"See You Again"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey"Closer"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I looked up the 8 best-selling digital singles ever . I stopped following new music in 2014 so I don't know how good they are.

Ed Sheeran"Shape of You"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ed Sheeran"Perfect"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This is only a guess, but I have a feeling you would absolutely despise all of those songs. :laugh:

I know I do.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Ed Sheeran"Shape of You"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ed Sheeran"Perfect"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Every single one of these songs is horrendous.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

Ed Sheeran"Shape of You"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ed Sheeran"Perfect"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Just say no...

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Dream Syndicate Ghost Stories was last CD I purchased from Tower Records that was contemporary. Since then, compilations or re-issues or mp3 converter on YT. I found just last week 7 garage band songs from the 60s that I never heard and copied.

I missed your post the first time. I agree (from another post) the Stones are garage, especially Exile which is my favorite classic rock album. My favorite punk band The Cramps are very garage. I describe them as Voodoo Punkabilly. I think many posters would dig this song if they checked it out. Great title also.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For me the last top 20 classic rock album was Born to Run. After that punk and new wave took over. I love classic rock, but it was a good thing.

I can definitely agree with this assessment. Assuming we are getting technical with definitions and classifying "The Wall" and "Bat Out of Hell" as something besides "classic" rock, which I'm cool with.

"Born To Run" and "Brothers In Arms" are in the 80s zeitgeist for sure.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Ed Sheeran"Shape of You"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ed Sheeran"Perfect"
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

None of these are memorable. Except for Despacito, which is memorably awful.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I can definitely agree with this assessment. Assuming we are getting technical with definitions and classifying "The Wall" and "Bat Out of Hell" as something besides "classic" rock, which I'm cool with.

"Born To Run" and "Brothers In Arms" are in the 80s zeitgeist for sure.

"Born to Run" was 1975. "Born in the USA" was 80s zeitgeist.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Which 4 albums do you like the best?

The Beatles, 'Revolver'

The Beatles, 'Abbey Road'

Nirvana, 'Nevermind'

Fleetwood Mac, 'Rumours'

The Beach Boys, 'Pet Sounds'

Prince and the Revolution, 'Purple Rain'

The Rolling Stones, 'Exile on Main Street'

Stevie Wonder, 'Songs in the Key of Life'

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Which 4 albums do you like the best?

The Beatles, 'Revolver'

The Beatles, 'Abbey Road'

Nirvana, 'Nevermind'

Fleetwood Mac, 'Rumours'

The Beach Boys, 'Pet Sounds'

Prince and the Revolution, 'Purple Rain'

The Rolling Stones, 'Exile on Main Street'

Stevie Wonder, 'Songs in the Key of Life'

From this list..

Abbey Road
Nevermind
Purple Rain
Rumours (toss up with Pet Sounds)

Songs In the Key Of Life is growing on me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad