Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Bands and/or albums I've been listening to recently:

Rush: Grace Under Pressure

It's easy pickings for idiots who want to mock Rush, but it's an underrated album.

Also, if you need someone to sing "Angie," all you have to do is get me drunk. I once drank 4/5ths of a bottle of Absolut Citron, passed out, and woke up as soon as I heard it, started singing. That was not an isolated incident.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
It's easy pickings for idiots who want to mock Rush, but it's an underrated album.

Also, if you need someone to sing "Angie," all you have to do is get me drunk. I once drank 4/5ths of a bottle of Absolut Citron, passed out, and woke up as soon as I heard it, started singing. That was not an isolated incident.

LOL re Angie

Grace Under Pressure is one of my fave Rush albums along with 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures and Clockwork Angels

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Grace Under Pressure is probably the beginning of my favorite Rush era. I think Hold Your Fire is my current favorite album but Presto is close. I got to see them in their 30th anniversary tour so they've been off the bucket list for a while.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
New Vampire Weekend is very good. With 18 tracks, there are a few worth skipping, but there is still a lot to enjoy there.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
watch

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I don't mock Rush (I do mock KISS and Grand Funk Railroad), but I don't get them either.
Sorta of a Canadian take on Prog-Rock.
Give me BTO/Guess Who if I have to listen to music from the frozen north (of course, there's Neil, Joni and Leonard Cohen).

PS: Arcade Fire are pretty good as well.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don't mock Rush (I do mock KISS and Grand Funk Railroad), but I don't get them either.
Sorta of a Canadian take on Prog-Rock.
Give me BTO/Guess Who if I have to listen to music from the frozen north (of course, there's Neil, Joni and Leonard Cohen).

PS: Arcade Fire are pretty good as well.

I'm shocked - SHOCKED! - that you would listen to those two. You terrible, terrible commie bastard.

The thing about prog rock is that it means absolutely nothing - it says nothing more about Rush than it does about Pink Floyd. It's just a useless lable for people, like yourself, who don't know how to just sit back and have your testes and face melted, people who can't get in the right head space to imagine what it would sound like if a terrible religious cult of the future had outlawed music, or how it would sound if Mark Twain had been a little more forward thinking.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I'm shocked - SHOCKED! - that you would listen to those two. You terrible, terrible commie bastard.

The thing about prog rock is that it means absolutely nothing - it says nothing more about Rush than it does about Pink Floyd. It's just a useless lable for people, like yourself, who don't know how to just sit back and have your testes and face melted, people who can't get in the right head space to imagine what it would sound like if a terrible religious cult of the future had outlawed music, or how it would sound if Mark Twain had been a little more forward thinking.
Who are you even ranting at anymore? Is there a chicken version of toxoplasmosis that's eating your brain? :eek:

EDIT: Ohhh you're probably ranting at the Wordy One. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Who are you even ranting at anymore? Is there a chicken version of toxoplasmosis that's eating your brain? :eek:

EDIT: Ohhh you're probably ranting at the Wordy One. :sarcasm:

I'm not even ranting, and YOU are the one who has taxosplintosis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I was talking to him, because I am the only one who has the willpower and the pure heart to attempt to fix him, like that **** Coldplay song, I'm that guy, only not such a huge ****.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Pink Floyd is acid rock, not Prog, you're thinking more of ELP or Yes.
Prog rock is one of those dirty pleasures, you know they're being pretentious but you just "have another hit" and "go ride the music."
My favorite was Renaissance, probably because I saw them live and had dirty thoughts about Annie Haslam and her translucent dresses.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I might have posted one of their songs in the last thread... Forever Changes is an immense album, and Alone Again Or... is one of my favourite songs.

Forever Changes is easily a top 10 album from the 60s, and thats saying a lot.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Pink Floyd is acid rock, not Prog, you're thinking more of ELP or Yes.
Prog rock is one of those dirty pleasures, you know they're being pretentious but you just "have another hit" and "go ride the music."
My favorite was Renaissance, probably because I saw them live and had dirty thoughts about Annie Haslam and her translucent dresses.

In the Court of the Crimson King is still the best prog rock album ever made, imo.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'll take the Jazz of the 50s and 60s, Motown, Soul and the Blues, and you can keep Hip Hop and Rap.
I'm old enough that I can listen to what I actually enjoy and not worry about being politically correct.

Reactions: Foggy14

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
New Rammstein's album is amazing!
Can't wait to see their show in august.
Scary to think what they are gonna do with this :laugh:
388595.jpg

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I'll take the Jazz of the 50s and 60s, Motown, Soul and the Blues, and you can keep Hip Hop and Rap.
I'm old enough that I can listen to what I actually enjoy and not worry about being politically correct.

I'm a jazz neophyte, but find myself listening to it when I get bored of the usual fare.

Here's Joey Alexander (with Scot Colley and Willie Jones III) playing a couple Monk standards, Evidence and Pannonica, at Lincoln Center. The kid can play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad