OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
So basically Hope Sandoval is you mainlining

Hope Sandoval is dangerous. Hers is the kind of voice that sailors dash their ships into the rocks following, but I never got that deep into Mazzy Star. The songs were just a little too sparse for my taste. I'm an absolute sucker for sweetly sung pop hooks buried underneath layers and layers of noisy but melodic guitars.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That's like when I had my wisdom teeth out and loaded my CD cartridge with movie soundtracks. I hallucinated/dreamt I was in Gotham City and then on Captain Hook's ship and it was AWESOME.

in 1999 I was in full napster mode. One day i had a 104 degree fever from a viral infection and was knocking on death's door. For some reason my computer played this song on repeat for over 24 hours and I was too sick to get up and turn it off.

I don't think that is how the song was intended to be listened to but it worked. I had my first and only out of body experience. Or I may have been hallucinating.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Hope Sandoval is dangerous. Hers is the kind of voice that sailors dash their ships into the rocks following, but I never got that deep into Mazzy Star. The songs were just a little too sparse for my taste. I'm an absolute sucker for sweetly sung pop hooks buried underneath layers and layers of noisy but melodic guitars.

Basically every time you post in this thread, you are posting for two.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Can't stop listening to this acoustic/banjo version of this song. Though it might be an acquired taste, I have a giant man crush on this guy's voice. Really unique vocals, melodies, and harmonies with this band all around.

That guy is f***ing shredding that banjo too.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Two bands I have liked in the past that went through recent (relatively speaking) lineup changes dropped some music. Blink obviously has had Skiba in the fold for a bit and he is certainly not Tom, but they released a few songs that sound exactly what I imagined/hoped when I heard the news.

That **** is just a perfect blend of Blink and Alkaline Trio. Much better range for Matt to sing to rather than try to sing Tom's parts. Some songs work better than others.

Falling in Reverse lost Jacky Vincent who could absolutely shred. They changed up their sound and their latest single Popular Monster finally sounds like where they've been trying to get to.

I've been on a bit of a nostalgic Alkaline Trio kick lately. That was my shit back in the day. Found a new appreciation for a few songs too. Love the lyrics on this one.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I've been on a bit of a nostalgic Alkaline Trio kick lately. That was my **** back in the day. Found a new appreciation for a few songs too. Love the lyrics on this one.

This and Armageddon were the first two songs I ever heard from them. Lots of drives were spent listening to this album. I definitely don’t listen to this genre much anymore but a few blasts into the past are fun.
Calling all skeletons, burn, and private eye are still my faves

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
in honor of captain dave, men without hats, safety dance.

This was the song during freshman year of high school. My best friend was a year ahead of me and his sister was my age. She went to this small all-girls Catholic school and we were always at their dances, where this song was played every time, or around them somewhere else, e.g. when his sister had a slumber party with a bunch of girls from her school and I spent the night, too. We were lined up with options. Then the school closed before the beginning of sophomore year and they all dispersed. Tragic, BUT it's one of the reasons I didn't get someone pregnant during high school, so I can only complain half as much as I would like to.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Think I've mentioned on this board before that the best show I ever attended was Superchunk around 95 or so at the Trocadero in Philadelphia. But I also have beef with Mac & Laura.

In 96, I rode up to NYC to attend CMJ with a friend. Exhausted, we left our stuff in the trunk of his car and crashed in the cramped over-populated apartment of a friend of a friend. We woke up and went down to get our stuff, only to find that the car had been broken into and all of our stuff stolen, including my Superchunk t-shirt. The only thing the thief didn't take? A cassette by The Fall that was discarded in the front seat.

After buying the cheapest possible shit to wear for the next few days (we were broke college students after all), we proceeded to have a blast going to great show after great show. One of those shows was a Portastatic show in the basement of a school or something, and it was really cool, because milling around in the small crowd during the opening acts were both Mac & Laura. In those days, I never passed up the opportunity to shake hands with one of my music heroes, and so I went up to them to say hello. That went well enough so that I decided to regale them with the tragic loss of my prized Superchunk t-shirt. I wasn't necessarily hoping for a kindly offer of a new t-shirt, but it sure would have been a nice gesture. Instead, Laura just looked at me while Mac only offered a weak, "Man, that sucks!" Then they turned around and walked away.

giphy.gif

I also once experienced a similar yet more withering and comical dismissal from Kim Gordon & Thurston Moore, but that's another story.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Think I've mentioned on this board before that the best show I ever attended was Superchunk around 95 or so at the Trocadero in Philadelphia. But I also have beef with Mac & Laura.

In 96, I rode up to NYC to attend CMJ with a friend. Exhausted, we left our stuff in the trunk of his car and crashed in the cramped over-populated apartment of a friend of a friend. We woke up and went down to get our stuff, only to find that the car had been broken into and all of our stuff stolen, including my Superchunk t-shirt. The only thing the thief didn't take? A cassette by The Fall that was discarded in the front seat.

After buying the cheapest possible **** to wear for the next few days (we were broke college students after all), we proceeded to have a blast going to great show after great show. One of those shows was a Portastatic show in the basement of a school or something, and it was really cool, because milling around in the small crowd during the opening acts were both Mac & Laura. In those days, I never passed up the opportunity to shake hands with one of my music heroes, and so I went up to them to say hello. That went well enough so that I decided to regale them with the tragic loss of my prized Superchunk t-shirt. I wasn't necessarily hoping for a kindly offer of a new t-shirt, but it sure would have been a nice gesture. Instead, Laura just looked at me while Mac only offered a weak, "Man, that sucks!" Then they turned around and walked away.

giphy.gif

I also once experienced a similar yet more withering and comical dismissal from Kim Gordon & Thurston Moore, but that's another story.

See, that's a perfect example of why I have no interest in meeting people I admire - I don't need anything like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad