OT: Washington Redskins 2019 Season Thread Vol 6: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who do you want to be the new Redskins coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ball coach!

Nah, probably Saban, or JIM Harbaugh. We just had one brother coach, why not another.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Wait what?!? How do you know that they spent zero time with him? You just pulled a lot of misinform out of your rear.

All we heard was that he was not ready... and based on his play the coaches were right. Makes me think you haven’t watched a single game or paid any attention during training camp.

Come on, man. It is a known fact that Gruden didn't want Haskins. As well, most quarterbacks, regardless of whether they're good or not, at least come out with some semblance of knowledge of the playbook. Haskins had none of that. They even said after the Giants game that he didn't know the playbook. You know who's responsibility it is to work with Haskins on the playbook? The head coach, the offensive coordinator, and the quarterback coach.

Contrary to what you may think, I watched training camp and I listened to the interviews. I watched the draft pundits and I read the scouting reports about Haskins and it was well known he was going to be a project. The raw skills were there, but they needed to be refined and that at the very least, he would need the Patrick Mahomes treatment, but that he would benefit from a Steve Young or Aaron Rogers treatment where he would be a backup for 3 to 4 seasons before getting his chance.

The situation a player gets drafted to makes all the difference in the world. It's clear that Haskins wasn't wanted. How else can you describe a player that doesn't know the playbook when the coaching staff is supposed to help them learn it? It's simple. It's called neglect and it's clear that Haskins was neglected by the staff. So yeah, zero attention was given to Haskins.

Reactions: Beef Invictus
Sep 19, 2008
What about KOC for coach.

And Kyle Smith promoted to GM.

There'd be continuity from the previous regime and the individuals promoted aren't exactly failures. KOC is being restrained because he's just an offensive playcaller and not a coach so he can't tell Callahan to stop pounding the rock. Smith has a long history of doing good drafts after Scot left.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What about KOC for coach.

And Kyle Smith promoted to GM.

There'd be continuity from the previous regime and the individuals promoted aren't exactly failures. KOC is being restrained because he's just an offensive playcaller and not a coach so he can't tell Callahan to stop pounding the rock. Smith has a long history of doing good drafts after Scot left.

I don’t disagree that they’d be good choices but it feels like they need to go external here. Hiring two candidates from within won’t exactly excite the fan base.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don’t disagree that they’d be good choices but it feels like they need to go external here. Hiring two candidates from within won’t exactly excite the fan base.

That and they absolutely cannot hire from within if there is a culture problem, unless there's just an overabundance of talent that's being criminally misused. It's many times more difficult to drastically change an organization with an internal hire vs. bringing in a "clean slate" outsider.

Even if the inside guy says he's going to make changes and shake things up there are still relationships intact that may be protected and there's going to be a lack of fear and respect necessary to motivate people to take massive steps away from "business as usual".

No member of the country club wants to turn it into a YMCA.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Come on, man. It is a known fact that Gruden didn't want Haskins. As well, most quarterbacks, regardless of whether they're good or not, at least come out with some semblance of knowledge of the playbook. Haskins had none of that. They even said after the Giants game that he didn't know the playbook. You know who's responsibility it is to work with Haskins on the playbook? The head coach, the offensive coordinator, and the quarterback coach.

Contrary to what you may think, I watched training camp and I listened to the interviews. I watched the draft pundits and I read the scouting reports about Haskins and it was well known he was going to be a project. The raw skills were there, but they needed to be refined and that at the very least, he would need the Patrick Mahomes treatment, but that he would benefit from a Steve Young or Aaron Rogers treatment where he would be a backup for 3 to 4 seasons before getting his chance.

The situation a player gets drafted to makes all the difference in the world. It's clear that Haskins wasn't wanted. How else can you describe a player that doesn't know the playbook when the coaching staff is supposed to help them learn it? It's simple. It's called neglect and it's clear that Haskins was neglected by the staff. So yeah, zero attention was given to Haskins.

for what it’s worth, gruden was right about Haskins. He was not a first round pick

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That's great news. When I saw the play I watched his lower leg flop a bit sideways and thought "uh oh, there goes the MCL". Glad it's not a tear. He's young enough to battle back from a few knee surgeries but guys have given up over less.

It's great news but he needs to shut it down and rest. He's essentially been rehabbing knee injuries non-stop since August 2018. Don't gamble with his health the rest of the season and allow him to have a full offseason of strength training so that hopefully by training camp he can think only about football and not about rehabbing any injuries.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Coach is nice and all, but the guy above him matters more in this case...

I see a backwards hire happening. Hire coach then force him on incoming GM/President.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I recall some debate in the early days of Allen's tenure that the "tampa mafia" and general nepotism thing was just hysteria and we were all jumping the gun with our criticism.

The final word may be the record of 62-94 (.397) from 2010 onward (so far), saved only by one good year of RG3 (10-6) and one good year of Cousins (9-7).

The latter was the "code red game" year (2015) when they started 2-4 and finished by winning 7 of the last 10. No playoff wins in either year, and both QBs moved on under rancorous circumstances.

Seems like that debate is over.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I recall some debate in the early days of Allen's tenure that the "tampa mafia" and general nepotism thing was just hysteria and we were all jumping the gun with our criticism.

The final word may be the record of 62-94 (.397) from 2010 onward (so far), saved only by one good year of RG3 (10-6) and one good year of Cousins (9-7).

The latter was the "code red game" year (2015) when they started 2-4 and finished by winning 7 of the last 10. No playoff wins in either year, and both QBs moved on under rancorous circumstances.

Seems like that debate is over.

The debate was over when Shanahan was fired. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad