OT: Washington Redskins 2019 Season Thread Vol 6: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who do you want to be the new Redskins coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Haskins wasn't terrible this week.

He was merely bad.

Moreau has 3 (nearly 4) picks in 2 games since replacing Norman.

The fact it took 2 seasons to make that move (Norman is a Snyder groupie) is why you should despise management.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Haskins wasn't terrible this week.

He was merely bad.

Moreau has 3 (nearly 4) picks in 2 games since replacing Norman.

The fact it took 2 seasons to make that move (Norman is a Snyder groupie) is why you should despise management.

Another one. Oh lawd.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So are we now going to the playoffs? :p
upload_2019-12-1_23-20-43.jpeg

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I wouldn't worry about the playoffs. It's 2 wins against bad teams playing backup and 3rd string QBs. Carolina have stunk for weeks and Detroit's defense has blown the lead in every game.

Dallas have 6 wins and are not going to lose their 4 remaining (CHI, LAR, PHI, WAS). They could lose 1-2 which opens the door for Philly, who have a much easier schedule that goes directly through the Cowboys.

Skins would need 7 wins to have a chance to make the playoffs since we do not have the relevant tiebreaker vs Dallas (the Cowboys have 6 wins and they hold the divisional record edge since they're currently 4-0...no way to catch up).

And Philly would need to beat Dallas to prevent the Cowboy's 7th win (assuming Dallas loses to CHI and LAR). Eagles will be trying to win the division, and despite their current losing streak they control their destiny a bit by playing us, NYG twice, and the Cowboys. I don't know that they'll lose twice to NYG, once to WAS, and still beat Dallas. Also not sure Dallas sweeps to 9 wins and beats Philly to clinch by wk16.

If somehow Dallas completely chokes and Philly and WAS end up both with 6 wins then PHI and WAS both have 3-3 divisional records, which then goes to common opponents as the standings tiebreaker. Philly wins that (4 wins to 3 even with a GB win next week for the Skins).

I mean, I guess miracles do happen but that GB game might put the whole thing to rest before it starts. The division should at least be interesting.

I see the last 4 as:

GB - Loss, in the playoffs currently and fending off MIN, Packers are always better later in the season
PHI - Loss imo
NYG - Win? Best chance at the 4th win of the season
DAL - Loss. Anything can happen in this matchup but still expecting a loss, unless Dallas win the next 3 and knock out Philly and sit starters. Would still be nice to knock the Cowboys out of the playoffs and get the coach fired in Wk 17, though.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Player I'm most happy with these last few weeks: Montez Sweat. He looked decidedly average (at best) the first half of the season but the past few weeks he's been showing why they traded back into the 1st round for him. Seals the edge well against the run and is getting to the QB. A

I think it's no coincidence the defense has looked better the past few weeks with guys like Norman and Kerrigan on the sideline. There has been a notable lack of speed on defense and by substituting some of the young guys I think they're playing faster. Of course it helps that in their three wins they've played Josh Rosen/Ryan Fitzmagic, Jeff Driskel, and Kyle Allen but hey, it's a start.

(Also please take my "analysis" with a (giant) grain of salt. I haven't watched a full game all season; I'm just making comments based on the parts of the games I did watch.)

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Player I'm most happy with these last few weeks: Montez Sweat. He looked decidedly average (at best) the first half of the season but the past few weeks he's been showing why they traded back into the 1st round for him. Seals the edge well against the run and is getting to the QB. A

I think it's no coincidence the defense has looked better the past few weeks with guys like Norman and Kerrigan on the sideline. There has been a notable lack of speed on defense and by substituting some of the young guys I think they're playing faster. Of course it helps that in their three wins they've played Josh Rosen/Ryan Fitzmagic, Jeff Driskel, and Kyle Allen but hey, it's a start.

(Also please take all of my "analysis" with a (giant) grain of salt. I haven't watched a full game all season; I'm just making comments based on the parts of the games I did watch.)

They currently have a mediocre offense rather than a terrible one, but it's improving. The big difference imo definitely has been the defense, particularly the ability to cause turnovers. That's what's turning potential Ls into Ws now.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They currently have a mediocre offense rather than a terrible one, but it's improving. The big difference imo definitely has been the defense, particularly the ability to cause turnovers. That's what's turning potential Ls into Ws now.
I’m not sure what I want here. With this team.

The most overriding factor is RIP Bruce. So wins don’t help there. At all.

The 2nd most overriding factor is draft positioning. So wins don’t help there, either. At all.

The 3rd most overriding factor is the next coach (also, see point #1). Winning down the stretch puts Callahan (and Manusky??) in a good light. Which are 2 people I simply don’t want as larger (or any) parts of the coaching future. At all.

The 4th most overriding factor is player development (you can easily argue its also the first most important, but that would be under the assumptions that the first 3 will happen as we “want”, which bc DanSkins is not at all a safe assumption). So wins do help here, for confidence and momentum to next season.

So — yeah. The typical quintessential Redskins fan conundrum. Gotta love it??

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not sure what I want here. With this team.

The most overriding factor is RIP Bruce. So wins don’t help there. At all.

The 2nd most overriding factor is draft positioning. So wins don’t help there, either. At all.

The 3rd most overriding factor is the next coach (also, see point #1). Winning down the stretch puts Callahan (and Manusky??) in a good light. Which are 2 people I simply don’t want as larger (or any) parts of the coaching future. At all.

The 4th most overriding factor is player development (you can easily argue its also the first most important, but that would be under the assumptions that the first 3 will happen as we “want”, which bc DanSkins is not at all a safe assumption). So wins do help here, for confidence and momentum to next season.

So — yeah. The typical quintessential Redskins fan conundrum. Gotta love it??

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

preach...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Nothing matters so long as Snyder runs the team like a dime-store Stalin.

I'll say this: if Snyder fires Bruce and hires what I deem to be a solid GM/HC combo and said GM makes some smart moves (trading Trent, cutting Norman, etc) then I'll have a lot of hope back. They have a lot of young talent worth rooting for like Haskins, Guice, McLaurin, Harmon, Sweat, Allen, Ioannidis, Payne, Holcomb, Collins, and a few others and if they can excise the cancer that is Bruce Allen then I'll be back as a fan.

It all hinges on firing Allen. Keep Allen around and nothing they do will matter. Snyder has one bullet left in the chamber to win back his fanbase and if he doesn't do it, well, then he's going to see a lot more of this:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think everyone else has probably been discussed, but someone I've been thinking of is Flowers, due to him leading the way on the rushing TD.

That guy has been invisible. Which is GREAT. He isn't getting turnstiled anymore. He isn't racking up penalties. He's actually been solid which for him is a truly enormous upgrade.

These late wins are going to give Dan an excuse to keep Bruce. They'll blame the whole thing on Gruden and Manusky. The best we will ever get is Bruce being shuffled into some different position, or some other fake figurehead being brought in. They'll expect us to buy in despite the fact that by the end of the offseason it will be made clear that Bruce is still in charge.

Sadly, even if by some miracle Bruce is actually canned, Dan will just hire another one. A Bruce by any other name is still a Bruce. We have only ever had Bruces building rosters. We will only ever have Bruces.

Reactions: Corby78

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think everyone else has probably been discussed, but someone I've been thinking of is Flowers, due to him leading the way on the rushing TD.

That guy has been invisible. Which is GREAT. He isn't getting turnstiled anymore. He isn't racking up penalties. He's actually been solid which for him is a truly enormous upgrade.

These late wins are going to give Dan an excuse to keep Bruce. They'll blame the whole thing on Gruden and Manusky. The best we will ever get is Bruce being shuffled into some different position, or some other fake figurehead being brought in. They'll expect us to buy in despite the fact that by the end of the offseason it will be made clear that Bruce is still in charge.

Sadly, even if by some miracle Bruce is actually canned, Dan will just hire another one. A Bruce by any other name is still a Bruce. We have only ever had Bruces building rosters. We will only ever have Bruces.

Actually a handful of times Snyder let someone else have roster authority, and for those brief glimpses, things improved. Thinking about Marty, Mike Shanahan, and McClougan. But then Cerrato or Allen get their power back and things go silly again.

I do think Fans have had enough though, and will wait until they start winning again to come back. Just firing Bruce won't fill that empty stadium. They have to hire a real GM, and a real HC, and then give them time to build something real and proper. No reason to ever go back to Fed Ex field until that happens.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Actually a handful of times Snyder let someone else have roster authority, and for those brief glimpses, things improved. Thinking about Marty, Mike Shanahan, and McClougan. But then Cerrato or Allen get their power back and things go silly again.

I do think Fans have had enough though, and will wait until they start winning again to come back. Just firing Bruce won't fill that empty stadium. They have to hire a real GM, and a real HC, and then give them time to build something real and proper. No reason to ever go back to Fed Ex field until that happens.

The second anyone in power refuses to indulge some idiotic whim of Dan's, those people cease to have power and he finds someone who will indulge him.

So things will never change, because anyone capable of changing them will be hamstrung for trying to do their jobs properly.

Reactions: Hivemind

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
On Rivera: Super Bowl and coach of the year 4 seasons ago. Inconsistent since. Losing Newton and then having your backup throw pickles all over the yard for 6 weeks in a row won't help your job prospects.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007

For the love of God, McCloughan was horrendous. Probably not entirely his fault considering Micro and the Gang’s overall malfeasance, but his tenure was marked by drafting and singing busts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad