OT: Washington Redskins 2019 Season Thread Vol 3: Training Camp Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The problem is that The Dan and The Bootlicker actually think we are thisclose to competing so they'll continue to operate as if we're one year away and as such the Redskins will forever be in the purgatory range of 6-10 to 9-7 depending on injuries and close game performance. The other problems are that The Dan and The Jocksniff would never tear down the roster with the already plummeting in-stadium attendance and TV ratings, nor would they ever admit to making mistakes, and a rebuild would essentially be them saying, "We did this wrong and need to start over."

Ironically, the best thing they could do to win back fan support would be to be honest about the state of the roster and admit that they need to rebuild but they're too dense to realize it so they'll continue to piss on the fans while telling us it's raining and thinking we're too dumb to know the difference.

And thus this ends with Trent leaving for minimal or no value.

Good news! The Raiders exist so at least one team is a more baffling goofshow than us for once.

Reactions: Hivemind

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I guess some good news (or neutral news I guess) is that we'll learn early on if the problem with Manusky was a lack of talent, or Manusky.

Based on his disastrous insistence that they go for strips rather than tackles and his routine lack of adjustment through a game my money is on Manusky being exposed even more. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Not really gonna spend much time thinking about Trent the Tumor v SpiteSkins.

He and several other older guys should have been traded in offseason for picks anyways.

Of course they can’t see that the future revolves around Haskins and his supporting cast in 2-3 years.

Classic myopic Monikers...

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Reading the tea leaves a bit. AP talks with Trent and now is inactive? Wonder if lines are being drawn? Either way we can’t do anything right

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Reading the tea leaves a bit. AP talks with Trent and now is inactive? Wonder if lines are being drawn? Either way we can’t do anything right

This seems like a pretty big stretch. The rumors of AP being unhappy with his role as backup started before he met with Trent. I like to dump on this organization as much as the next guy but I don't think there's much here.

They may only dress three running backs on Sunday because of injuries to other positions. Guice is the starter, Thompson is the third down back, and Smallwood plays specials. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
No reason to risk a cold AP getting injured in 4 measly carries. If he was a hands back or could play teams, maybe it would be worth that risk.

AP as Guice's game day backup you run risk of both getting injured. That's a lot to risk in week 1 heh. Since many seem so worried about Guice then you should also worry about AP.

Smallwood provides Jay different options over AP. Smallwood can spell both Guice and CT, and return kicks.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Our two best backs are Guice and AP. If we are now at week one and placing one on inactive because we’re are either worried about injuries or worried about schemes, then we really do have idiots for a football staff.

16 games is all you get, there is no holding players out week one unless they are already hurt. You built this roster don’t tell me 1A and 1B can’t be on the active at the same time.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Our two best backs are Guice and AP. If we are now at week one and placing one on inactive because we’re are either worried about injuries or worried about schemes, then we really do have idiots for a football staff.

16 games is all you get, there is no holding players out week one unless they are already hurt. You built this roster don’t tell me 1A and 1B can’t be on the active at the same time.

At least it eliminates the chances of fantasy footballers such as myself from getting “Naggied”.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

There are only 46 players active on game day. That means backups must contribute on special teams. Since AP doesn’t play Teams he will most likely not be active.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Maybe they aren't 1A 1B. Guice is an all down back. AP is run only. That is a BIG difference for the offense becomes much less predictable.

I see them as 1 2. But for arguments sake lets say they are equals. We often hear backs say they need 20 carries to be effective. To read the defense, to get a feel... If true, why would a coach want 2 backs struggling in their handful of carries in a 1A/1B system. Or, have RBs been lying all these years and they really can gain 10 yards on the first carry of the game, as I have long theorized. And of course, seen.

Here's the thing. I have seen many fans afraid of Guice getting a full load in game 1. So the people clamoring for AP to start are.... wait for it.... worried about injuries anyways. If Jay is worried about injuries, maybe he is more worried about CT, and thus wants Smallwood active.

Jay had Perine (sucked but cut from the workhorse mold) inactive all year, but was APs next game backup. Same approach, just new year and different players. They are game day backups, and next game backups. CT or SW is Guice's game day backup. Maybe Jay knows we will need to pass a ton, or plans to.

Why would he want AP over an extra hands back? If Jay is passing a lot with AP in the game, I bet defensive coordinators see that as favorable. They don't have to account for him and will know he will stay in to block.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Maybe they aren't 1A 1B. Guice is an all down back. AP is run only. I see them as 1 2. But for arguments sake lets say they are equals. We often hear backs say they need 20 carries to be effective. To read the defense, to get a feel... If true, why would a coach want 2 backs struggling in their handful of carries in a 1A/1B system. Or, have RBs been lying all these years and they really can gain 10 yards on the first carry of the game, as I have long theorized. And of course, seen.

Here's the thing. I have seen many fans afraid of Guice getting a full load in game 1. So the people clamoring for AP to start are.... wait for it.... worried about injuries anyways. If Jay is worried about injuries, maybe he is more worried about CT, and thus wants Smallwood active.

Jay had Perine (sucked but cut from the workhorse mold) inactive all year, but was APs backup. Same approach, just new year and different players. They are game day backups, and next game backups.

The Perine example is a perfect one. He was the back up to AP last year but he didn't play Teams so he was inactive. AP is now in the Perine role.

Also, according to John Keim, Smallwood is a returner and can play on all 4 special teams groups. Him being Thompson's back up is secondary to his worth as an active player right now.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Gruden is in "win now and save my job" mode. That's why Haskins isn't starting Week 1.

That tells you they see a significant gulf between AP and Guice.

edit: OR the Dan is dictating who plays and he wants to see Guice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad