OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season V0l. 2: 1-1 = Half empty... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
NFL is struggling with declining fan interest nationwide. May just be that.

I think this is crazy talk but I read an article that says football won't even exist in 25 years due to people just not letting their kids play anymore.

I can say that my son's private school (PK-12) has eliminated it all together this season and the local high school near my house (around 800 kids) only had 17 kids come out for the team this season so they will probably not have a varsity squad.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I missed that Patterson is in NE. That's a guy with a lot of talent, if there's any team that can take him to another level it's NE.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This antenna on top of the TV is the best as I can switch between the Ravens and the Redskins cause I get D.C. and Baltimore stations. Best $35 I have spent in a while.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This antenna on top of the TV is the best as I can switch between the Ravens and the Redskins cause I get D.C. and Baltimore stations. Best $35 I have spent in a while.

You're lucky, the only two stations I can get are news networks. One is in Mandarin, the other is in Vietnamese. Neither shows the NFL.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That stinks. I got the 45 mile range antenna, can you get a wider range one in Centreville?

No I'm just in a radio dead zone. Can't get TV reception, I struggle to receive police/EMS/VDOT radio traffic, and cell signal is iffy too. Just some geographical oddity.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think this is crazy talk but I read an article that says football won't even exist in 25 years due to people just not letting their kids play anymore.

I can say that my son's private school (PK-12) has eliminated it all together this season and the local high school near my house (around 800 kids) only had 17 kids come out for the team this season so they will probably not have a varsity squad.

That article sounds like hair on fire chicken little recency bias tainted pearl clutching, to be precise.

There were times when people thought the same of hockey. Steroids and work stoppages were going to ruin baseball. A lot can happen over the years, and there's no shortage of people willing to take risks for glory, fame, and money.

I would say that kids who grow up as multi-sport athletes can learn football well enough in a year or two in high school or college. Youth leagues are probably more for parents than kids development. You can see the kids who are going to excel pretty early on in any league.

Parents and kids today are heavily influenced by the recent concussion concerns, and many younger people are eschewing traditional sports in favor of other hobbies. The pendulum can very easily swing back the other way in a few years as fears fade or changes occur in rules or tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad